Show me your unique modded P3S remotes.

a061fb8da92d2c43b90a4796c63c8b56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So many smashing modifications!

When my Phantom balls fall and I decide to try for more than the 2 miles I'm getting (in bucolic settings), I hope to do some of these mods myself!

I know this thread is mostly about heavy duty mods that increase range, but I'm posting an image of my controller's "lite-mod" with a scratch built sun shade and a mix of 3D printed parts and GoPro hardware to improve functionality without regard to distance or aesthetics. I'm happy enough with my range.

The goal of my modest modifications (an alliterative accident...oops again!) was to replace the crummy P3S plastic phone mount and to scratch build a sunshade for my iPhone 6 Plus. I'm almost happy with the current setup.

IMG_0853.JPG

So many smashing modifications!

When my Phantom balls fall and I decide to try for more than the 2 miles I'm getting (in bucolic settings), I hope to do some of these mods myself!

I know this thread is mostly about heavy duty mods that increase range, but I'm posting an image of my controller's "lite-mod" with a scratch built sun shade and a mix of 3D printed parts and GoPro hardware to improve functionality without regard to distance or aesthetics. I'm happy enough with my range.

The goal of my modest modifications (an alliterative accident...oops again!) was to replace the crummy P3S plastic phone mount and to scratch build a sunshade for my iPhone 6 Plus. I'm almost happy with the current setup.

View attachment 59669
2 miles w/ an all stock standard?

2 miles w/ an all stock standard?

Nope, that was an exaggerated estimate. The farthest I've had the nerve to go out was a hair under a mile. However, I still had full bars and great video. I only turned back because the battery was under 20%, so know I could've pushed it quite a bit further--shaky hands and all!

My apologies.

Reactions: Ohiowoodsman
Nope, that was an exaggerated estimate. The farthest I've had the nerve to go out was a hair under a mile. However, I still had full bars and great video. I only turned back because the battery was under 20%, so know I could've pushed it quite a bit further--shaky hands and all!

My apologies.

Very nice set up! This is kind of what I am looking to do, because often it is hard to view the screen, especially when it is sunny out! Can you elaborate on how you did this? Is it a difficult process, or is it easy enough for someone with little to no experience with modding a RC (like myself) to do?

Heres mine
1d59a5d57a5b8e40410a80f49876ae76.jpg
1b58378941d67737bf136640f1309a69.jpg
f08c951bbd11ae4ebfa4f05bc5bcf830.jpg
(the 2w amp is my sons)

sent from my POS Samsung Galaxy

Reactions: ccbdav
Very nice set up! This is kind of what I am looking to do, because often it is hard to view the screen, especially when it is sunny out! Can you elaborate on how you did this? Is it a difficult process, or is it easy enough for someone with little to no experience with modding a RC (like myself) to do?

Thanks, and welcome to the forums! As far as my setup goes, it doesn't require any actual modification to the transmitter, so it won't void your warranty or require soldering/electronic skills. I simply added a sunshade and replaced the stock P3S mount.

Here's how I did it (however, I'm sure there are more aesthetically pleasing and effective of ways of doing the same with other materials):

The shade itself is comprised of two sheets of styrene (thin plastic sheets used for various projects, I happen to primarily use it for model railroad scratch-building)--white on the outside and black on the inside (see image below). I didn't take precise measurements for this project as I wasn't sure how well it would turn out and I didn't want to waste too much time. I simply laid a spare phone case on the styrene, traced around it, and cut the styrene to fit. I did the same with the inner portion of the shade and used some double-sided tape to hold the pieces together. I reinforced all the edges and seams with electrical tape, though duct tape or something similar would probably work just as well, if not better. The shade straps onto the phone case with some nylon strapping I happened to have lying around.

The mount is 3D printed from a model I found on Thingiverse (DJI Phantom Controller Mount by markloane). If you do not have, or have access to, a 3D printer there are many options available to upgrade that plastic mount that don't require drilling or pulling the remote apart. After printing that mount and securing it (no screws or other hardware needed), I simply attached some GoPro hardware to it and the phone case (which I also painted to match the black and white scheme).

It turned out better than I expected (it's far from great, but it's functional and that's all I really care about), required very little work, and was completely free as I had the parts and tools needed to build it. I'm sure you could substitute the cardboard or any other lightweight and rigid material for the styrene, cover with black duct tape or spray paint and create an even better looking and functioning shade! It certainly doesn't require mechanical or electrical aptitude to scratch-build something like this.

Obviously, you could buy a new mount and shade for very reasonable prices if you shop around (some great recommendations if you search these forums). As I'm cheap, poor, and a bit of a skill collector, I prefer to make things rather than buy them. If you need any other advice or help feel free to PM me.

IMG_0901.JPG

[Inner shade showing shaded area.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Ohiowoodsman
This is incredible -- so innovative. Perfect for bright day. Maybe a bit outside my skill level, but it is something to try out. I will see what I can do using your method. Thanks!

That's awesome...do you use boosters with that? Lol

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
No, the dozer batteries blew em up. It's a little bigger than yours hah? LOL "To the Moon Alice"

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj