Should I update my phanton 3 advanced to the latest firmware 1.50030

Wow! Just put on some climbing gear, walk for a mile through thick woods and underbrush with no roads anywhere nearby and no trails, climb through the thicket up 1500 feet and hope to find an opening in the trees big enough to launch from then take it 1500 feet down, start filming, go back to where I was, then 1500 feet up, then get it back through the trees to my little base camp in the middle of the mountain, then hike all the way back to the nearest road.

I see nothing wrong with that plan!.
Rob,

Yes, I was being a bit sarcastic. I don't totally disagree with you. But I believe some of the restrictions that are in effect now are a good thing from a public safety standpoint. Not all quad owners are responsible pilots. The media and the public already have a poor opinion about quad copters - err, I meant, spy drones. I do respect your position.

Wow! Just put on some climbing gear, walk for a mile through thick woods and underbrush with no roads anywhere nearby and no trails, climb through the thicket up 1500 feet and hope to find an opening in the trees big enough to launch from then take it 1500 feet down, start filming, go back to where I was, then 1500 feet up, then get it back through the trees to my little base camp in the middle of the mountain, then hike all the way back to the nearest road.

I see nothing wrong with that plan!

All because of an arbitrary height restriction put in to stop stupid people from breaking the rules. And on top of that, the height at which they set the restriction, is not the height for any regulation I have ever heard of.

I do see the wink at the end of your line, so I am assuming that you said that with a bit of sarcasm, but I did want to point out that this is a real problem.

Also, the extra flight modes that someone else had mentioned which have been added since the new firmware were already available in third party apps and the ones from Litchi and Ultimate flight as well as others are not crippled the way DJI restricts them. The DJI GS version makes you fly manually to each waypoint to set the point, go through the entire mission, then you can come back and tell it to fly what you just did automatically. All the third party apps allow you to set waypoints and all their parameters from a map, the way DJI used to allow it.

I understand that this restriction is just one or two small things now, but I foresee many more coming down the line like GEO for instance. I also see them further restricting and limiting the live stream video to force you to only fly within line of sight, since your video will drop out before you lose physical sight of the bird.

Once they suck you in with the new firmware, there is no way to roll back and the Go App will continue to update you without asking as long as you allow it access to the internet, so it sure sounds to me that they are very interested in making sure you don't have a choice, since none of the older apps without these restrictions will work with the new Firmware which you can't reverse.

This is my opinion, which is based on the way they have been rolling this out, and the subsequent restrictions that have come with each new release of the Go app and firmware so far.

I can't say with certainty, how far they will go with future restrictions, but it sure seems like they will continue to block anything that allows a foolish pilot to do anything that can get them in trouble in an attempt to avoid litigation down the road. They do this even when these restrictions stop people from being able to do things which are perfectly legitimate and within regulations that they were able to do before. It also forces people in other countries to conform to these regulations even if they have no such regulations in their countries.

Sorry. I am staying with FW version 1.4.10 with an Older DJI Pilot app and with Litchi v 2.3.1 all of which are blocked from internet access and the ability to update themselves. I will stay that way until there is a compelling reason for me to voluntarily give up the functionality that I have in favor of some new feature that I can't live without. I don't see that day coming any time soon.

I find it ironic that each new 'upgrade' now takes something away, and there's no telling where it will stop and no turning back once you start.

I do understand about bug fixes, and that's great, but I am not experiencing and issues, and my current configuration is very stable. I am staying put.

That, again is my opinion based on what I have seen so far. Every member of this board and every owner of a Phantom or any DJI product is free to decide for themselves what they are willing to give up and what is important to them. Foe me, this is the way to go. I hope that by my posts, others that were unaware of the restrictions, might save themselves from blindly upgrading only to lose something forever that was important to them.
Bloody hell the time it took you to write this reply you could of probably climbed mount everest!!

Reactions: DroneWorxUK
I have no doubt that the new firmware works fine for the vast majority of people. There will always be someone who has an issue with every new app or FW release. There are too many variables involved with different OS systems, different tablets, and in some cases, operator error. I am in no way trying to say that the product being put out is faulty, or dangerous, and that people shouldn't update for fear that it will brick their drone or RC or that it will cause them to be unstable. It has been my experience that every new update has worked flawlessly, and each does seem to contain bug fixes, although I have never experienced any of the problems those bug fixes were fixing to begin with.

I am holding back on upgrading solely based on the fact that I will not accept the new restrictions that come with the upgrades. The ones that are currently out don't seem that severe, although they already impact what I do. A great many people might never even notice these restrictions or have problems with it. But that's just what they have done so far. I am even more worried about what new restrictions are still to come. If I upgrade, I can't go back, and will be stuck with them forever, or until I purchase a different brand.

If the restrictions don't bother you, by all means get the latest and greatest and upgrade. I choose not to because of what has already been taken away, and what I am convinced is still to come. I believe that will include, but not be limited to, further altitude restrictions, range restrictions, more GEO fencing (not only in no fly zones which is out now), more limitations on range of live video designed to prevent pure FPV flying (this has also already started by limited channels from 32 to 8), additional flight speed restrictions (there have already been some incorporated in the autonomous flight modes - not to mention that those modes now have to be flown manually first, before you can fly them automatically. That was never the case before and is not the case with third party apps.), and a bunch of other things I haven't even thought of.

This is what I foresee happening and it is my opinion. I do not have inside information, or proof that any of these things will happen (Except for the ones that already have - Reduced speed and range in Autonomous modes, Altitude restrictions, the reduction of video transmission channels from 32 to 8, and the new GEO)

But following the line of what is already happening as fear and new restrictions continue to be kicked around in the press and from the FAA, the fact that all old apps which did not have these restrictions built in have been rendered inoperative by the new firmware that is being automatically deployed by the Go App which automatically updates itself and once the new FW is in, it can not be rolled back, all lead me to believe that DJI is deliberately trying to force these new updates and restrictions on everyone, and like it or not, you will be stuck with them, unless you take measures to prevent the automated process before it happens to you.

So if anyone out there is like me, time is running out (or may have already run out) to be pro-active and make sure you do not get the new restrictions if they are not right for you.

If you prevent them by blocking internet access for all your flight apps and stopping auto updates from Google Play, you can hang back and see what plays out over the next few months. You can see if my predictions start to come true, and decide for yourself how many of these restrictions you want to incorporate for yourself.

Reactions: Flyingoak
I choose not to because of what has already been taken away, and what I am convinced is still to come. I believe that will include, but not be limited to, further altitude restrictions, range restrictions, more GEO fencing (not only in no fly zones which is out now), more limitations on range of live video designed to prevent pure FPV flying (this has also already started by limited channels from 32 to 8), additional flight speed restrictions (there have already been some incorporated in the autonomous flight modes - not to mention that those modes now have to be flown manually first, before you can fly them automatically. That was never the case before and is not the case with third party apps.), and a bunch of other things I haven't even thought of.

This is what I foresee happening and it is my opinion. I do not have inside information, or proof that any of these things will happen (Except for the ones that already have - Reduced speed and range in Autonomous modes, Altitude restrictions, the reduction of video transmission channels from 32 to 8, and the new GEO)
Your paranoid mindset is distorting your perception and is not backed up by the facts.
Way too much there for me to bother typing but I'll give you one biggie as a prime example.
You believe that GEO is a new restriction when it is the opposite.
Find out what it really is and what DJI is proposing and see how that fits with your theory.

Reactions: ELHEAPO
Your paranoid mindset is distorting your perception and is not backed up by the facts.
Way too much there for me to bother typing but I'll give you one biggie as a prime example.
Find out what it really is and what DJI is proposing and see how that fits with your theory.
I actually agree with him to a certain degree. Paranoid or not are there now more restrictions on DJI products than there was 1 yr ago and that is fact. Another fact is they did Not announce these restrictions 1 yr ago when purchased and now change the rules later. All because DJI is scared of media backlash of 1 or 2 idiots they may impose unannounced a blanket restriction on ALL as they feel fit.
So how would you feel when Ford tells you that you now have to install a breathalyzer in your car (as well as every other country) because some idiot went drinking and driving after you purchased it? Or a speed limiter on your Corvette you spent money on for performance that limits your acceleration 0-60 because a study in 1 country says it's unsafe?
PS, Only reason I went with DJI was the lightbridge. It definitely was not because of their customer support.

Reactions: John Locke
I do understand what GEO is, and I know that if a person has the authority or permission to fly in an area that is blocked by GEO, that they can go through a process and registration and over-ride it, and I understand that it is there for information and as a safety feature.

I have also read posts where people have found that their entire city is basically blocked. This hasn't happened to me, but it seems that if I just keep up with my local regulations and stay aware of where actual no fly zones are, I don't need the software to shut me down, and if I have permission to fly in a zone that would otherwise be temporarily considered a no fly zone, I don't feel the need to go through some registration process to over-ride something that is stopping me from doing something I have permission to do.

My Phantom has a serial number which is already registered to me in my account. I can't fly it without having an active account that already identifies me as the owner of that drone. I consider myself already registered and don't see the need to do it again someplace else.

That was just one of the things I mentioned that was new, and I called it a restriction, because there are people who were flying in places that they now can't. And if they are allowed to, they have to jump through additional hoops to do so. That particular feature is good for people who don't keep up with the latest information in their area before flying, and can help them keep out of trouble. However, that same feature can later be tailored to restrict the distance you can fly from your home point creating a GEO fence around you, forcing you to stay a particular distance (an arbitrary number similar to the altitude restriction) that DJI feels is 'far enough'.

I know this hasn't happened yet, but as I said, this is just my opinion, and I believe that things of that nature are coming. I could be dead wrong.

Judging from what I have seen so far, I don't believe so. I obviously can't prove that DJI plans to continue to further restrict what we can do with our copters. No one can.

I prefer to wait it out and see, but while I am doing that, I don't intend to lock myself into something I can't back out of. That's my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: aka1ceman
I don't think of it as a conspiracy theory or being paranoid. I call it common sense and being cautious, just because you don't agree with him, or me for that matter, doesn't make you right(or wrong). Find out what DJI is proposing? How do you do that when they won't release any info in their release notes? And you wonder why some of us are cautious or as you call it paranoid.

Reactions: John Locke
Can you elaborate a bit, what firmware were you on before?

What Tablet are you using?

This way we can figure out what is going on.

By stating your batteries need updating leads me to think you had older then 1.3.2 as that is the last time I updated batteries. And you stated in another thread that you are on 1.3.2. Unless of course these are new batteries, and then they should be updated.
The last one 1.4 and my phone, LG g3 with android 5

Find out what DJI is proposing? How do you do that when they won't release any info in their release notes? And you wonder why some of us are cautious or as you call it paranoid.
DJI do provide info with their firmware release notes.
It's usually brief but it is there.
If you want to know what DJI is proposing for GEO, read this post and watch the video:
DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 In Dec | Page 10 | DJI Phantom Forum
Does this sound like a company that wants to add more restrictions?

There are people that live in their bunkers convinced the government wants to persecute them despite a lack of any evidence to support their theory.
Communicating with others of a similar persuasion helps them convince each other of their paranoia and reinforce their fears.

There is an equivalent group among drone owners, who, despite a lack of supporting evidence are convinced that DJI and the government wants to take away your flying freedom.

DJI do provide info with their firmware release notes.
It's usually brief but it is there.
If you want to know what DJI is proposing for GEO, read this post and watch the video:
DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 In Dec | Page 10 | DJI Phantom Forum
Does this sound like a company that wants to add more restrictions?

There are people that live in their bunkers convinced the government wants to persecute them despite a lack of any evidence to support their theory.
Communicating with others of a similar persuasion helps them convince each other of their paranoia and reinforce their fears.

There is an equivalent group among drone owners, who, despite a lack of supporting evidence are convinced that DJI and the government wants to take away your flying freedom.
^ sounds like what Hitler said right before he invaded.
Call it what you want.
I'm not sure where your from but where I am we appreciate our freedoms and do Not need a company changing terms since the time I purchased the product. Sorry, I choose not to have limitations put on me. If you choose to live on a short leash then by all means continue with that lemming lifestyle.

^ sounds like what Hitler said right before he invaded.
Call it what you want.
I'm not sure where your from but where I am we appreciate our freedoms and do Not need a company changing terms since the time I purchased the product. Sorry, I choose not to have limitations put on me. If you choose to live on a short leash then by all means continue with that lemming lifestyle.
And that's exactly what I'm referring to.
If you look at everything through paranoia glasses, everything appears to match your fears.
Even when it's something completely benign and may be there for a perfectly reasonable technical reason.

Enjoy your fears. There's nothing I can say that would convince you.
But at least I can say this to reduce the number of newbies that might be persuaded to sign up to the conspiracy theory.

Please....DJI has ALREADY added restrictions. I have listed them many times. I am not into conspiracies. I am, however, going to wait and see what is taken away next before moving forward with another FW that I can't reverse. Simple as that.

I believe that with all the paranoia over drones in the media and all the potential legislation that is being tossed around, DJI will want to cover their *** as much as possible, so that when someone does something really stupid with their drone and the lawsuits start coming in, DJI wants to avoid litigation. one way for them to do that is to create these one-size-fits-all solutions that prevent anyone from doing anything stupid anywhere. When the lawyers come calling, they can say they have done everything possible to prevent their product from being able to be used in that fashion. I understand this. But these things are not that cut and dry, and stopping everyone in all situations from going over a certain height from takeoff (as an example) hinders those who have a legitimate reason (within FAA regulations) for doing so.

I predicted that the altitude limitation was coming for ALL apps, even the third party apps as soon as I heard that the new SDK would make all old versions of the apps inoperable. What a better way to stop people from just rolling back their apps to get back the functionality. I was ridiculed on this site and people wondered where the black helicopters and my tin foil hat was. Then the new release came out and there it was. My prediction came true. The thread went quiet.

So, please excuse me if I want to wait it out and see what else is lost before making that irreversible move.

The altitude restriction alone makes me not want to move on, because that is something that matters to me where I like to film in the mountains. The reduction of video channels matters to me because I live in an area with lots of interference, and when those channels were reduced from 32 to 8 in the Go App, I had constant video dropouts which severely reduced my range. Fortunately, the Litchi app still had all 32 channels with auto select, and as long as I didn't move up to the new version, I still have all those channels. So that's 2 things that I personally found important, that if they were not there at the beginning, would have led me to purchase a different drone. Both of those features have since been restricted. That is fact.

I believe, in an effort to avoid the future frenzy of litigation once all the new Christmas drones start hitting the skies, DJI wants to do everything they can to limit their liability. To do that, they need to reel in and cripple their birds to keep the foolish from doing what they do.

That is my opinion. It is also how I believe this will go down. It has already started. You constantly calling me paranoid or a conspiracy theorist will not change my opinion. Seeing the next several firmware releases go out without further restrictions might lead me to change my opinion, but what has already been taken away will most likely keep me from moving forward because those things are important to me and without them, my experience of flying becomes more of a frustration and less of a fun hobby. Something really revolutionary that I want badly enough for me to be willing to give up what I have will need to come out in the new FW or App to make me move forward.

Sling some more insults if you wish, but it won't change my mind. Only the release of new FW over time without more restrictions can do that. For now, I sit all alone in my bunker, wearing my tin foil hat, happy that I still have all the functionality that my drone came with, and not bothered by the fact that I haven't updated to the latest FW.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
It is not fears.....it is unnecessary. I understand having no flight zone around the capital especially in high risk times as these, but anything past that is unnecessary and will do nothing to prevent accidents or other problems. This below was not my "paranoia glasses".
Czech-2013-Theresienstadt-Arbeit_Macht_Frei_(detail).jpg

DJI's new sign......"Update for freedom"

Last edited:
This is an extreme example, but there is really no other way to help explain for some people to understand.

Reactions: Meta4
Here's my issue. People keep saying DJI doesnt want to impose restrictions on people. If that is so, then I call their bluff until DJI offers an ability to drop back to older firmware at the consumers own risk.

ps ... are you familiar with Godwin's Law?
I know who Godwin is yet do not agree with him as well. Bringing up a subject to prevent the repetition of things in history is on contrary is Not a bad thing. And if you agree with Godwin and feel I have lost this due to bringing up Hitler, then I guess I lost the argument .
Yes many like yourself would rather bury the truth and repeat it over and over than to discuss it, and learn from it. Many believed good things about the (shhhhh, old German dictator) while other things were going on behind closed doors. See this is far from what you claimed I was with my so called glasses. I'm very open minded but going back to the subject.............. You can Not say DJI has less restrictions on its products usage since these "firmware updates".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20