Should I update my phanton 3 advanced to the latest firmware 1.50030

Reaction score
Hello guys, just got my phanton yesterday, and I update the firmware to 1.3 something and them to 1.4 now I'm thinking in updating to 1.50030 but I'm not sure, I know that the latest version was good..

Reactions: Farmer
Yes latest version is very stable. Go ahead and update. You would need to update App as well RC FW.

So far everybody who has updated to latest firmware 1.5.3 has reported ZERO problems and gave 100% OK to install. DJI has a real winner here.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
It's a horrible firmware update don't do it. If your drone is running fine on the firmware you have installed why mess with it. I can't even fly my drone right now this firmware is so bad. There's no way 100% confirmed no problems. I am proof of that.

It's a horrible firmware update don't do it. If your drone is running fine on the firmware you have installed why mess with it. I can't even fly my drone right now this firmware is so bad. There's no way 100% confirmed no problems. I am proof of that.
Can you elaborate a bit, what firmware were you on before?

What Tablet are you using?

This way we can figure out what is going on.

By stating your batteries need updating leads me to think you had older then 1.3.2 as that is the last time I updated batteries. And you stated in another thread that you are on 1.3.2. Unless of course these are new batteries, and then they should be updated.

If you are using third party apps like Litchi and you upgrade, you will start to lose functionality. The first thing you gain is a height restriction of 500 meters. You also lose the ability to rollback, and DJI Go will update itself and the RC without asking.

If you have already been using DJI Go, you will not notice the altitude restriction, because DJI added that to it's own app long ago. They did not take away the functionality in the firmware until now, meaning that all the third party apps lost their ability to let you fly above the 500m mark.

You also lose your ability to go back to an earlier version of ANY app, because DJI made changes in the coding which makes all apps developed before this firmware release inoperable. Actually, this started with their new SDK release this past October.

So be VERY sure you want to accept the altitude restriction, the loss of ability to roll back the firmware, the loss of ability to use an older app, and I am sure, more and more restrictions are coming with each new release, as DJI works hard to craft their product in a way that no person anywhere can possibly fly it and break a regulation by creating one-size-fits-all solutions designed to keep the most careless and clueless pilots from doing anything stupid at the expense of everyone else's functionality and ability to take interesting flights within regulations like flying up the side of a mountain and over it's top even if that mountain is over 500m high. Can't do that now with the new firmware. The no fly zones are next, after that, who knows?

Reactions: Flyingoak
Yes, update.

If you find yourself needing to fly up and over a tall mountain...launch from within 500m of the top, fly down one side, start your video and fly up and over. ;)

Reactions: DroneWorxUK
If you have already been using DJI Go, you will not notice the altitude restriction, because DJI added that to it's own app long ago. They did not take away the functionality in the firmware until now, meaning that all the third party apps lost their ability to let you fly above the 500m mark.
Kind of a jumbled statement. The new firmware limits after party flight apps to the same 500m (1640') limit as in the DJI Go app. But as you state further in your post, this was in the last firmware. I'm pretty sure that firmware introduced 3 new flight modes. Those flight modes add a _lot_ to the capability of the P3s.

The kicker is... is a person simply going to _never_ update the firmware in the future? I suspect eventually they will. So why not just admit the the inevitable now and gain what the newer firmware has to offer. Being limited to 1640' above take off is not such a big limitation.

in response to a post asking about people's flights after the 1.5x update you posted the following:

"I went 4 miles out with it at 171 ft. Seems fine to me. I have an antenna mod but the signal seem to as good or better then the last firmware."

Flight reports only, FW 1.5.30 | DJI Phantom Forum

You also posted just yesterday that everything was fine. You are also flying with a modified P3 (battery and antenna mods).

Confusing posts.

Reactions: dwcola
in response to a post asking about people's flights after the 1.5x update you posted the following:

"I went 4 miles out with it at 171 ft. Seems fine to me. I have an antenna mod but the signal seem to as good or better then the last firmware."

Flight reports only, FW 1.5.30 | DJI Phantom Forum

You also posted just yesterday that everything was fine. You are also flying with a modified P3 (battery and antenna mods).

Confusing posts.
It worked fine yesterday today was a disaster. I had two flights with different controllers video signal crash out at only a half mile. I reinstalled the firmware everything worked fine at my house. Went back out to the place I fly and the motors won't engage and I get a beeping sound. So I changed my mind one good flight out of 5 no thanks.

Yes, update.

If you find yourself needing to fly up and over a tall mountain...launch from within 500m of the top, fly down one side, start your video and fly up and over. ;)

Wow! Just put on some climbing gear, walk for a mile through thick woods and underbrush with no roads anywhere nearby and no trails, climb through the thicket up 1500 feet and hope to find an opening in the trees big enough to launch from then take it 1500 feet down, start filming, go back to where I was, then 1500 feet up, then get it back through the trees to my little base camp in the middle of the mountain, then hike all the way back to the nearest road.

I see nothing wrong with that plan!

All because of an arbitrary height restriction put in to stop stupid people from breaking the rules. And on top of that, the height at which they set the restriction, is not the height for any regulation I have ever heard of.

I do see the wink at the end of your line, so I am assuming that you said that with a bit of sarcasm, but I did want to point out that this is a real problem.

Also, the extra flight modes that someone else had mentioned which have been added since the new firmware were already available in third party apps and the ones from Litchi and Ultimate flight as well as others are not crippled the way DJI restricts them. The DJI GS version makes you fly manually to each waypoint to set the point, go through the entire mission, then you can come back and tell it to fly what you just did automatically. All the third party apps allow you to set waypoints and all their parameters from a map, the way DJI used to allow it.

I understand that this restriction is just one or two small things now, but I foresee many more coming down the line like GEO for instance. I also see them further restricting and limiting the live stream video to force you to only fly within line of sight, since your video will drop out before you lose physical sight of the bird.

Once they suck you in with the new firmware, there is no way to roll back and the Go App will continue to update you without asking as long as you allow it access to the internet, so it sure sounds to me that they are very interested in making sure you don't have a choice, since none of the older apps without these restrictions will work with the new Firmware which you can't reverse.

This is my opinion, which is based on the way they have been rolling this out, and the subsequent restrictions that have come with each new release of the Go app and firmware so far.

I can't say with certainty, how far they will go with future restrictions, but it sure seems like they will continue to block anything that allows a foolish pilot to do anything that can get them in trouble in an attempt to avoid litigation down the road. They do this even when these restrictions stop people from being able to do things which are perfectly legitimate and within regulations that they were able to do before. It also forces people in other countries to conform to these regulations even if they have no such regulations in their countries.

Sorry. I am staying with FW version 1.4.10 with an Older DJI Pilot app and with Litchi v 2.3.1 all of which are blocked from internet access and the ability to update themselves. I will stay that way until there is a compelling reason for me to voluntarily give up the functionality that I have in favor of some new feature that I can't live without. I don't see that day coming any time soon.

I find it ironic that each new 'upgrade' now takes something away, and there's no telling where it will stop and no turning back once you start.

I do understand about bug fixes, and that's great, but I am not experiencing and issues, and my current configuration is very stable. I am staying put.

That, again is my opinion based on what I have seen so far. Every member of this board and every owner of a Phantom or any DJI product is free to decide for themselves what they are willing to give up and what is important to them. Foe me, this is the way to go. I hope that by my posts, others that were unaware of the restrictions, might save themselves from blindly upgrading only to lose something forever that was important to them.

i did the update and ran two batterys yesterday all worked fine except longer warm up time.
i will do a cold imu calabration in the morning when the imu is cold.

Wow! Just put on some climbing gear, walk for a mile through thick woods and underbrush with no roads anywhere nearby and no trails, climb through the thicket up 1500 feet and hope to find an opening in the trees big enough to launch from then take it 1500 feet down, start filming, go back to where I was, then 1500 feet up, then get it back through the trees to my little base camp in the middle of the mountain, then hike all the way back to the nearest road.

I see nothing wrong with that plan!

All because of an arbitrary height restriction put in to stop stupid people from breaking the rules. And on top of that, the height at which they set the restriction, is not the height for any regulation I have ever heard of.

I do see the wink at the end of your line, so I am assuming that you said that with a bit of sarcasm, but I did want to point out that this is a real problem.

Also, the extra flight modes that someone else had mentioned which have been added since the new firmware were already available in third party apps and the ones from Litchi and Ultimate flight as well as others are not crippled the way DJI restricts them. The DJI GS version makes you fly manually to each waypoint to set the point, go through the entire mission, then you can come back and tell it to fly what you just did automatically. All the third party apps allow you to set waypoints and all their parameters from a map, the way DJI used to allow it.

I understand that this restriction is just one or two small things now, but I foresee many more coming down the line like GEO for instance. I also see them further restricting and limiting the live stream video to force you to only fly within line of sight, since your video will drop out before you lose physical sight of the bird.

Once they suck you in with the new firmware, there is no way to roll back and the Go App will continue to update you without asking as long as you allow it access to the internet, so it sure sounds to me that they are very interested in making sure you don't have a choice, since none of the older apps without these restrictions will work with the new Firmware which you can't reverse.

This is my opinion, which is based on the way they have been rolling this out, and the subsequent restrictions that have come with each new release of the Go app and firmware so far.

I can't say with certainty, how far they will go with future restrictions, but it sure seems like they will continue to block anything that allows a foolish pilot to do anything that can get them in trouble in an attempt to avoid litigation down the road. They do this even when these restrictions stop people from being able to do things which are perfectly legitimate and within regulations that they were able to do before. It also forces people in other countries to conform to these regulations even if they have no such regulations in their countries.

Sorry. I am staying with FW version 1.4.10 with an Older DJI Pilot app and with Litchi v 2.3.1 all of which are blocked from internet access and the ability to update themselves. I will stay that way until there is a compelling reason for me to voluntarily give up the functionality that I have in favor of some new feature that I can't live without. I don't see that day coming any time soon.

I find it ironic that each new 'upgrade' now takes something away, and there's no telling where it will stop and no turning back once you start.

I do understand about bug fixes, and that's great, but I am not experiencing and issues, and my current configuration is very stable. I am staying put.

That, again is my opinion based on what I have seen so far. Every member of this board and every owner of a Phantom or any DJI product is free to decide for themselves what they are willing to give up and what is important to them. Foe me, this is the way to go. I hope that by my posts, others that were unaware of the restrictions, might save themselves from blindly upgrading only to lose something forever that was important to them.
Exactly why I am staying with 1.3.20. I have no issues or limitations. There is nothing in the newer firmware that I need nor want. Some here would say we are foolish for not updating. What I think is just as foolish is blindly updating not knowing what new restrictions or limitations that are included in the new firmware. We all know that DJI does not reveal any info in their release notes. DJI will continue to try and idiot proof the phantom at the expense of everyone. I will continue to enjoy my P3P until I am forced to update, which I hope is never.

Hi there-
I updated my Phantom Adv to the latest fw and the transmitter as well.
The transmitter was done thru the iOS app.
I cannot fly it.
When I power everything on.
The app connects with the aircraft and I can see stuff thru the camera.
I am stuck at the top part of the app that says "Aircraft warming up" I cannot make it go past that.
It will not connect to any GPS satellites.
I am getting no battery data from the aircraft as well as other data but I am getting some data.
The flight mode says manual.

On top of that in the new iOS app I cannot find where to calibrate the IMU, the gimbal and the compass.

For now I am bricked.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Appreciate any help to get this in the air.

I think the restrictions are in your imagination.
The P3 still flies as far as it did when released and DJI have done nothing to reduce that.
Your concept of GEO is completely wrong and what DJI are proposing with GEO is exactly the opposite of your conspiracy theory.
The facts don't support what you are saying.[/QUOTE]

Hi there-
I updated my Phantom Adv to the latest fw and the transmitter as well.
The transmitter was done thru the iOS app.
I cannot fly it.
When I power everything on.
The app connects with the aircraft and I can see stuff thru the camera.
I am stuck at the top part of the app that says "Aircraft warming up" I cannot make it go past that.
It will not connect to any GPS satellites.
I am getting no battery data from the aircraft as well as other data but I am getting some data.
The flight mode says manual.

On top of that in the new iOS app I cannot find where to calibrate the IMU, the gimbal and the compass.

For now I am bricked.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Appreciate any help to get this in the air.
Can you do an IMU calibration?

Sent from my PT beating heart

Have you resolved anything yet?

Sent from my PT beating heart

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic