P3 Firmware Should I update my firmware?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a new P3 Advanced owner and after calibrating the compass after getting my drone, was up and flying happily.

I build computers and so I know the risks associated with updating firmware, plus, I've seen people have problems with not just the process of updating theirs but also issues with the firmware itself. It appears, after looking at the phone app, I am running 1.4 on my P3 Advanced. The million dollar question is should I update to 1.6 or would you recommend I stay where I am at? Everything seems to work fine, so I thought I'd ask instead of committing myself to an upgrade.

Second question:
How many devices to I have to update? I've seen posts where people "upgrade" the battery? Is this right? I know the drone itself is updated, but what's the complete list should I update the firmware? 1. Drone 2. Controller... etc? Any other resources you can provide (I am looking on youtube as well) to run this process without bricking anything would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Roger, I am a newbie myself and have a lot to learn but I did do the latest software updates for the Phantom 3 Pro and no issues so far. There are updates for the drone, the controller and each drone battery.

Roger, I am a newbie myself and have a lot to learn but I did do the latest software updates for the Phantom 3 Pro and no issues so far. There are updates for the drone, the controller and each drone battery.

Hey there, nice to meet ya. I did wind up upgrading the P3 to 1.6 and like you, had no issues. I didn't realize I had to repeat the process for each spare battery, as well, but it seems to have taken less time than the original battery took. This part went fine.

When I used the same reader, card AND file on the controller, however, nothing happened. I inserted it, turned on the controller, and it never went into "auto upgrade" mode of any kind, didn't beep, nothing. After 3 attempts, I gave up. When I booted the controller and drone up, the "updates needed" message no longer appeared, so I am taking that as the controller sensed it did NOT need to upgrade and therefore did not enter this mode. So I suppose it's possible that the controller may not need upgrading while the drone/batteries do, or is there something else that's going on? I've had no issues post upgrade.

thanks,
Roger

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers