Should I purchase Phantom 3 Pro?

Yes, the Pro is a champ. I can attest. ;-)
Be sure to get an adequate device. iPads reign supreme, particularly the expensive Air 2 Cellular. Do your homework and learn all about the Phantom 3 Pro' before it arrives. RTFM and all available textual downloads pertaining to your model. Watch lots of instructional videos as well.

Most important, is to have fun, always fly safe and happy landing.
Enjoy your Phantom, and time wisely spent on the forum.

RedHotPoker

Yes, the Pro is a champ. I can attest. ;-)
Be sure to get an adequate device. iPads reign supreme, particularly the expensive Air 2 Cellular. Do your homework and learn all about the Phantom 3 Pro' before it arrives. RTFM and all available textual downloads pertaining to your model. Watch lots of instructional videos as well.

Most important, is to have fun, always fly safe and happy landing.
Enjoy your Phantom, and time wisely spent on the forum.

RedHotPoker

I feel so welcomed. This community seems very welcoming and positive :). If there are any Toronto pilots here, let me know. We can all meet up and fly our drones.

@Kevin Cabral
You might want to check around in this forum section for locals in your general area.
Canada | DJI Phantom Forum
There are a lot of awesome and helpful characters on here. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Check for flying clubs in the greater Toronto area as well. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Kevin Cabral
I hand catch while sitting in my chair every time. It's easy and the cleanest way, plus I get that feeling of satisfaction in knowing that it's being treated the best that I can. Either pushing the button on the battery or using the remote is simple, just gently grasp on to it while keeping it exactly where you put it in the air in front of you and switch it off.

Where abouts are you located @Reed L in Alberta? There are a few of us pilots who are also Albertan's on here. Definately enjoying the comraderie.

RedHotPoker

@Kevin Cabral
You might want to check around in this forum section for locals in your general area.
Canada | DJI Phantom Forum
There are a lot of awesome and helpful characters on here. Enjoy it to the fullest.

Check for flying clubs in the greater Toronto area as well. ;-)

RedHotPoker

I'll check that section of the forum :) Would be awesome to fly next to fellow pilots. Any information regarding how cold of temps these drones can operate safely?

Where abouts are you located @Reed L in Alberta? There are a few of us pilots who are also Albertan's on here. Definately enjoying the comraderie.

RedHotPoker
Well, not in Alberta yet but maybe next summer, Alta, California by Lake Tahoe is home but the wife and I are retired and traveling. We left Washington State a few weeks ago and are now in Brookings, Oregon at Harris Beach State Park, traveling down the Oregon Coastline. Next week we will be in Yosemite and then south to Arizona and then in to New Mexico to visit friends by February :)

if you can wait, I would wait. the phantom 4 probably will be quite the superior machine and with new laws and other things coming out I would wait until that is all sorted out.
That is true. I'm just concerned that is all. I'm thinking DJI might design the Phantom 4 with retractable legs like Inspire 1. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that might do that.
I don't expect folding landing gear in P4, whenever it arrives, who's knows when that is. Folding gear usually degrades downward air flow, hindering flight time. I don't expect significant changes in the next Phantom, only lightbridge two, and that's not a game changer IMHO, it's a nice to have. I certainly don't expect a 360 swivel camera even if they did introduce folding landing gear that tucks up under each motor pod. That would be too expensive for the mechanisms to sort that, not to mention adding weight. The Phantom model is DJIs entry level flying camera, and it currently kills the competition. They need to keep the price point at a level that can sell drones in the hundreds of thousands. The $1000USD price point is key. What I'd like to see is a new shell design in gun metal gray, something sturdy, more angles, updated styling to look more military or commercial looking, getting away from the look of a toy. However that's not what expect DJI will do.

Last edited:
At this point, I would wait. It's November which is hardly prime flying weather in Canada.

While Phantom 4 is not going to release for Christmas (too late for that), it is possible that DJI may have some sort of promo (free 2nd batter). And Phantom 4 will be coming in Spring for sure.

I don't expect folding landing gear. That usually degrades downward air flow, hindering flight time. I don't expect significant changes in the next Phantom, only lightbridge two, and that's not a game changer IMHO, it's a nice to have. I certainly don't expect a 360 swivel camera even if they did introduce folding landing gear that tucks up under each motor pod, it would be too expensive. The Phantom model is DJIs entry level flying camera, and it currently kills the competition. They need to keep the price point at a level that can sell drones in the hundreds of thousands. The $1000USD price point is key. What I'd like to see is a new shell design in gun metal gray, something sturdy, more angles, updated styling to look more military or commercial looking, getting away from the look of a toy. However that's not what expect DJI will do.

Yeah or the Apple look lol. I won't lie, the 3DR Solo has a nice look.

I don't expect folding landing gear in P4, whenever it arrives, who's knows when that is. Folding gear usually degrades downward air flow, hindering flight time. I don't expect significant changes in the next Phantom, only lightbridge two, and that's not a game changer IMHO, it's a nice to have. I certainly don't expect a 360 swivel camera even if they did introduce folding landing gear that tucks up under each motor pod. That would be too expensive for the mechanisms to sort that, not to mention adding weight. The Phantom model is DJIs entry level flying camera, and it currently kills the competition. They need to keep the price point at a level that can sell drones in the hundreds of thousands. The $1000USD price point is key. What I'd like to see is a new shell design in gun metal gray, something sturdy, more angles, updated styling to look more military or commercial looking, getting away from the look of a toy. However that's not what expect DJI will do.

Lightbridge is the range of the radio right? Or am I wrong?

Let's us know how that works out. I've never heard many folks here raving about how easy 4K is to edit. I think most everyone uses 1080 most the time. File size, download time, edit render time, there's a lot of downsides.

I'll give it a shot. I just wanted the 4K in case. I'm a photographer so I mainly wanted to do stills with the Phantom 3. Winter is coming so that means I'll have to pack it away for the season :(. I doubt Phantom 4 will be a big jump. Hopefully not! lol

What editing software do you all use? I usually use Adobe After Effects. Recently I've found Adobe Premiere easier.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4