Should I chuck this battery?

Reaction score
Not sure if this is dodgy but usually when I fly the battery voltage reading goes from green to yellow sometimes, but now it went red quite a lot. Have included a screenshot. Is this battery toast?

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

1505385869550.png

Last edited:
Cell 1 seems to be draining down faster than the others from that .... but I note that you have variation across all cells.

Unfortunately DJI design of pack does not allow user access to diagnose ... not does it allow you to manually balance the cells.

I would hazard a guess that your battery is basically unbalanced and because the DJI system defaults to OFF once a 'full' charge is achieved without actually balancing fully the cells - you will have difficulty rectifying it.
Its a myth that deep discharge sorts it - you can try and you may be lucky ... worth a shot anyway ... discharge down to about 10% and then leave it to rest for half hour or so ... then full charge it up ... see what results you get.
But as I say ...... all the observations I have made show DJI packs do not regain balance properly ... and deep discharge a myth.

Nigel

Reactions: Neon Euc
Thanks Nigel. I will fly and then hover to around 8% or if I hover knee height then let it land naturally. Hopefully that may sought it. Just dont want it to fly at 200 meters and drop.... But at the same time.. I shouldn't be scared to fly

I did have a similar problem with one of my batteries. I hovered until it was around 8 percent then fully charged it. I didn't have errors after that.

Thanks Nigel. I will fly and then hover to around 8% or if I hover knee height then let it land naturally. Hopefully that may sought it. Just dont want it to fly at 200 meters and drop.... But at the same time.. I shouldn't be scared to fly

If people are going to do deep discharge in the AC ... then I do advise to actually fly .. as you say just off ground ... and NOT to just idle on ground or leave plugged in ...
Flying provides airflow to keep things nice.

Of course a better but slower way is to use such as this :

Phantom 3 Flight LiPo Battery Smart Battery Control Charger Discharger Equipment | eBay

l=APHRs=00764A1-eMe=TH886631.pic

A smart discharger .... and the beauty is - the power is not wasted - you can charge your mobile phone etc. from the discharge power ...

Saves all that wear and tear on the AC ... you can set the TELSIN to storage or deep discharge level.

Nigel

Thanks guys. I did bring the charge down to 18% the other day but haven't flown since so I will give it a test run and go from there

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl