Shocking disregard for the law - London Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard shouts these words in the Tower of London, where he has accused Lord PaulJohn of plotting to destroy him with a drone.

PaulJohn, who thought himself safe in his friendship with Richard, began a meeting of the Council wishing to set a date for the coronation of Prince Edward as new king.

Richard arrives late for the meeting, and realizes PaulJohn must be removed from his path to the crown.

Killing two birds with one stone, he discredits the Queen (who is another obstacle) by suggesting she participated in dronecraft to cause his deformity, baring his withered arm to drive home the point.

He tricks PaulJohn into saying that anyone who practices dronecraft must be executed.

At this point Richard jumps up, points to PaulJohn, and accuses him of "devilish plots" and "damned drone craft," calling him traitor and ordering him immediately beheaded.

Off with his head!!!

Reactions: maseman88
Fly on people. Fly on. That's all I can say at this point. Against or for. Each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: m0j0 and maseman88
I don't want the drone police on here to view any of my flytes. Some of you are so brain washed , that no one can change how you see this. If the pilot of a drone [Phantom] has a mishap ,then he will be dealt with. We don't need you self appointed drone police, to make up fines and charges. Go get a life will you.
I think we have a lot of wanta be cops here.
Shessh.
Not sure what sort of character would assign "brain washed" to people who follow and respect the law...
But I have added "Drone Police" to my tagline, hope that makes some of you feel vindicated....lol.

BURN HIM.............lol

Last edited:
"Behavior A is illegal but no harm has come from it, so therefore behavior B must be acceptable as well"
This is flawed logic. Of course there are different risks for different behavior. We try to make the laws align with real danger versus perceived danger. Flying above people at a soccer game is illegal. Flying a plane into same group of people is also illegal. They are not the same though. That is my point. What the guy did was illegal in the UK ok fine him and move on. The group of folks on here with torches banging on the doors saying he should be jailed are over the top. Their suggested punishment is not equal to his offense.

I am out again.

Dueces - Everytime I think I am out.. They pull me back in..

How high is that shard building anyway ?

I wish I had the guts to fly like that. I can find half a dozen places here in my city where I can fly around nice buildings and bridges while being over water. Can't really imagine anyone feeling threatened (more probably staring, waiting for it to fall and drown). And worst case scenario I'd be spotted by the cops and be patronized.

I guess.

Anyhow it's way too windy these days.

I would have thought that most reasonable people would agree that there needs to be a balance between the freedom to be creative and have fun and the need to respect rules and regulations regarding safety. Speeding by 10 mph - yes - many of us probably do that without unduly compromising road safety. Operating a 1.5 kg UAV in the middle of the London H4 helicopter route - I don't think so. That level of disregard for others should have consequences.

You would have thought that, yeah. But not everyone thinks.

I'm just totally flummoxed by the "rules/safety don't matter" cabal on here. Good Lord! If this is representative of just who we have as drone pilots, then the future of our hobby truly is in big trouble here. Thank God the guy didn't hurt someone.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
This is flawed logic. Of course there are different risks for different behavior. We try to make the laws align with real danger versus perceived danger. Flying above people at a soccer game is illegal. Flying a plane into same group of people is also illegal. They are not the same though. That is my point. What the guy did was illegal in the UK ok fine him and move on. The group of folks on here with torches banging on the doors saying he should be jailed are over the top. Their suggested punishment is not equal to his offense.

I am out again.

Dueces - Everytime I think I am out.. They pull me back in..
I'm not sure what your point is...
You made 8 posts to this thread defending this video BEFORE anyone mentioned jail.
There has been one post in 12 pages that mentioned jail.
So yeah, not sure what your point is other than to argue.

I'm not sure what your point is...
You made 8 posts to this thread defending this video BEFORE anyone mentioned jail.
There has been one post in 12 pages that mentioned jail.
So yeah, not sure what your point is other than to argue.
never let the facts get in the way of a good story

One point that I feel needs to be made as everyone keeps mentioning airspace. Barring the Thames part, there is no point at which he is flying where he has his drone anywhere near where a helicopter would or can fly. Again I'm not condoning it but please use your common sense before spouting 'facts' [emoji1303]

One point that I feel needs to be made as everyone keeps mentioning airspace. Barring the Thames part, there is no point at which he is flying where he has his drone anywhere near where a helicopter would or can fly. Again I'm not condoning it but please use your common sense before spouting 'facts' [emoji1303]

maxresdefault_zpsgpd791iz.jpg

Reactions: JamesG2571
Yes. Facts are good. I like facts. I'll present the UK law again:

The aircraft must not be flown:

• over or within 150 metres of any congested area
  • over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
  • within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft
  • within 50 metres of any person except during take-off or landing, the aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person except for the person in charge of the aircraft.
This article shows where you can and cannot fly in London. This video was shot in restricted airspace. That FACT has been pointed out prior.
Can You Fly Drones In London?

Another:
Police warn drone pilots that it is illegal to fly close to tourist landmarks and airports after sales over festive period rocketed

Read more: Police issue warning over flying drones too close to London landmarks
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Another article with maps showing London's restricted airspace:
No Fly Drones | No Fly Zones for Drones in the UK | Fly Safe

Facts are good.

Reactions: Goldni
Yes. Facts are good. I like facts. I'll present the UK law again:

The aircraft must not be flown:

• over or within 150 metres of any congested area
  • over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;
  • within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft
  • within 50 metres of any person except during take-off or landing, the aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person except for the person in charge of the aircraft.
This article shows where you can and cannot fly in London. This video was shot in restricted airspace. That FACT has been pointed out prior.
Can You Fly Drones In London?

Another:
Police warn drone pilots that it is illegal to fly close to tourist landmarks and airports after sales over festive period rocketed

Read more: Police issue warning over flying drones too close to London landmarks
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Another article with maps showing London's restricted airspace:
No Fly Drones | No Fly Zones for Drones in the UK | Fly Safe

Facts are good.

For a start, I live in the UK and I am completely aware of the laws here but thank you for pointing this out yet again.

Secondly I was mearly pointing out that the drone would not have come even remotely close to a helicopter other than the part around the Thames. Even then the helicopters still have to fly at a restricted altitude which would have been higher than his drone.

Again I will point out that I don't condone this flight, just attempting to bring the door bashers and pitchfork carriers back to reality a touch.

Reactions: 4wd and m0j0
Well no, I don't agree that flying 100 feet of the ground in "designated airspace"'is as dangerous or the same as flying 100 feet of the ground in an airport approach. Not the same in my mind at all. All in all I agree this was a bad idea. I'm just saying what he did isn't a hanging offense. Others may disagree.

He was at least 1000 ft AGL when he flew over the tower, and 500 ft at least over the Thames, in a designated air route - not just in controlled airspace. Your obstinance on this point baffles me. He was up there over the Thames in the H4 traffic route. How is that OK?

Reactions: Goldni
Great video.
I always side with caution, but if it feels absolutely safe with pristine conditions, I say "go for it". Just don't forget to hit the record button.

Reactions: maseman88
For a start, I live in the UK and I am completely aware of the laws here but thank you for pointing this out yet again.

Secondly I was mearly pointing out that the drone would not have come even remotely close to a helicopter other than the part around the Thames. Even then the helicopters still have to fly at a restricted altitude which would have been higher than his drone.

Again I will point out that I don't condone this flight, just attempting to bring the door bashers and pitchfork carriers back to reality a touch.
Do you realize PaulJohn or JohnPaul or whoever the Youtube star is, was in violation of the other laws, and flying in restricted space?
Or you simply want to hear a collective sigh of relief from here that he wasn't in a Heli's flight path?
Why did the BBC run an article on this flight?

**** there's no more comments... I haven't finished my popcorn... :/

Reactions: Sandar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member