Sheriffs department search and rescue

No medical needed ONLY if the pilot certification doesn't require it. You can't fly under a PPL (or higher) with just a drivers license because at that point without a current medical rating your pilot certification isn't "current". You have to have the medical rating that coincides with your pilot certification or you are not technically current. That came from our local FSDO here about 3 months ago. Being "current" is the key factor. I was trying to avoid the flight medical and thought I could use the "drivers license" portion of a SPL and then utilize my PPL certification to satisfy the Section 333 requirements. Got a big NEGATIVE on that because the medical aspect is an integral part of "currency".

I have been doing some research on this also. I found this from EAA, and contacted my FSDO who agreed with it. I also contacted a Sport Pilot instructor and he also agreed.
Existing Pilots Becoming Sport Pilots | EAA. I will be getting my Flight Review in a Sport Pilot Aircraft with the proper endorsement in my logbook.

Reactions: BigAl07
IIRC. You can receive compensation to cover expenses. I would think you donating your flight time would not require a 333 exemption. If you are being paid by the sheriff department it could be argued that this compensation is for your regular duties.
THIS IS NOT CORRECT

When you apply for your Section 333 you want to include anything you might be doing with your UAS including SAR. Add anything that you even remotely might do so that it's included in your submission and subsequent approval. This doesn't mean you HAVE to do Aerial Imaging for Real Estate or Agriculture but this way you're approved for it.

Also you can probably find some existing 333 Exemptions that were granted that fit your needs and you can just use that as a template to creating your own submission. Just make sure you remove EVERYTHING that pertained to the original submitter or you'll have to resubmit a corrected version. There's nothing wrong with using and existing and copying it but you need to make sure it's accurate and pertains to you and what you plan to do AND each aircraft you plan to use.

FAA Section 333 requests are not about convincing the FAA you have a good reason. They just want to know what you are using it for so they can grant you that use. As stated above list everything you can think of that you could provide as a service. 99% of the granted 333's are form letter. The same. Find a petition that is close to what you need and copy it. Change what you need to to fit your needs and submit. Then get in line and wait. Do not pay anyone. You can do it in an afternoon. Commercial use is not about getting $$. I can give you an example I read on the FAA website. If a bridge inspector/painter wanted to use his own UAV to take a look first and estimate supplies, no $$, it's commercial. That can be applied to house painter's, roofer's, etc. You get the point. Acquiring a 333 exemption is not as hard as it seems.

A donation is not payment, thanks.
Call your FSDO and run that up the flagpole. You're going to be surprised at how the FAA views Commercial vs NonCommercial operations.

Reactions: Donallen
Money (or anything of value) does not have to transfer hands to be commercial. You can call your fee a donation, a gift, expenses, cost of editing, really whatever you want to call it. The FAA is not as stupid as you may think. They call it commercial. If the aerial data is incidental to your business, no charge, it's commercial. If you gave your data for free, and it was used for any business, it's commercial. I don't think they are going to get into splitting hairs. They will just call it commercial and proceed.

Reactions: rvrrat14
This is all PIRACY, how would it sound if the DOT said, you can drive a semi, but as soon as your getting paid, you need a CDL. It just dont make any sense. Where does the money change the equation, Im not buying Well we say so. Sounds like to many people just roll over. Imagine if this was the second amendment.

This is all PIRACY, how would it sound if the DOT said, you can drive a semi, but as soon as your getting paid, you need a CDL. It just dont make any sense. Where does the money change the equation, Im not buying Well we say so. Sounds like to many people just roll over. Imagine if this was the second amendment.

With all due respect you haven't spent the time to research the whole story. The ONLY reason why "Only Commercial" operators are being regulated is because Congress declared in 2012 that Hobby/Recreational aviators could have no new rules/laws passed against them. This makes it so that only "commercial operations" can be regulated by the FAA's new rules.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if Congress had not mandated this in 2012 we would see our hobby industry very heavily regulated. It's not PIRACY or any type of a conspiracy to stifle this great new industry.

Big A I kind of question the need for a medical. (I do have one) I applied under 107. Using the ASEL pilots license as a springboard and got my temporary UAV certificate yesterday. NOWHERE on the application paperwork did it ask about a medical. It ONLY asked about the training course and the current(within 2 years) Bi-annual signed by a CFI for the initial issue.

Big A I kind of question the need for a medical. (I do have one) I applied under 107. Using the ASEL pilots license as a springboard and got my temporary UAV certificate yesterday. NOWHERE on the application paperwork did it ask about a medical. It ONLY asked about the training course and the current(within 2 years) Bi-annual signed by a CFI for the initial issue.

Hi Walt,
Of the 333 exemptions I had seen most of them stated in the waiver the pilots needed a current medical, BFR, and a license. When part 107 went live, Aug 29th, 2016, everything changed. You don't need a medical under part 107 but many 333 exemptions stated it was needed back in that pre-part 107 era. That's how I read this thread.

Can someone please explain why I need a pilots license to fly a drone? The two are as different as night and day.

JoeyJan, You do NOT need a pilots license ever and if you fly for fun, you don't need any other license to fly a drone. If you want to fly commercial under 107 you have to take a knowledge test and apply for your sUAV license

What we have been referring to is the program where currently licensed pilots who are also current can take an online course that covers the additional knowledge needed to pass 107 and take a test online as well. 1 reason for this is that the airspace knowledge needed to pass the pilot's exam covers about 80 pct of what the the drone operator needs to know. IE(Airspace classes, right of way).

A word of warning to anyone who has been a pilot for a long time and wants to go this route, The existing pilot course only covers sUAV operations, but the TEST covers a lot of material you learned when you became a private pilot so brush up on your basic airmanship knowledge. It's open book so a good searchable FAR/AIM manual at your fingertips will serve you well.(Make sure it is current). Non pilots have to go to a testing center and take the full written exam.

I would agree. But I'm like anyone else out there I would love to have the opportunity to make money using my drone. And of course these local agencies have agreed to pay a call out fee and fuel for my time. So that's technically making money. I really would like to do what I need to to be as legal as possible.
Colbycheese08,
I am also in LE and have taken the Part 107 test. This will give you the remote pilots license. Register your drone with the FAA for commercial use and you are good to go. I have researched this over and over. The other option you have is to have your agency purchase the sUAS (Drone) and then file for a COA (Certificate of Authorization) with the FAA. This way is more time consuming and you can't fly for any other reason than the search and rescue. Let me know if you need anything and best of luck.

The OP noted "But I'm like anyone else out there I would love to have the opportunity to make money using my drone"

...so - just go and get the FAA 107 certification - I have - some study time, and then you are ok...

FWIW - I have sent letters to both the local Sheriff and Police - if they need any help for a SAR - they can call me - I'm happy to do that as a community service for free...

My local PD and Sherrif both have multiple drones, I know PD has ten, 8 P4P and to inspire 2 with FLR cameras...they use them for SAR, tracking a fugitive, also for warrant services, and locking down neighborhoods.

I think it is a great access and would recommend all departments have a couple at least.

We have run into this with several agencies in my county.. Civilians are wanting to fly for LEO, but Departments are saying NO because of the chain of custody and testimony issues.. All the agencies feel that LEO Drones are a great idea, and then want one of their own flying the drones. We had to purchase some really expensive software that blocks out everything but what we are looking at on the video. No tags, no people, houses, windows, yards, etc.. Everything is "Zebra Stripped Out"... This way there are no privacy issues raised. Then we needed I.T. to get involved due to storage space available and bring in Terra bite storage units to store the HD video... The blocking software is great, especially when the public sees that we are not filming anything we are not interested in...

I am preparing to file for my exemption and would like you're opinion. I work for the local Sheriffs department and have been asked on multiple occasions in my county and surrounding counties to help with missing people. (We live in a rural area in Mississippi) I want to be able to help more and have been asked can the emergency management put my number on the roster for cases like that.
Would this be a suitable case for exemption. The FAA says that I need to put why it would better the public and I can not think of a better cause than that. No it will not be used for surveillance and gathering evidence. ( that can be used by has to be signed by a judge prior) but that is absolutely not the direction that I would go. Just for missing people. Thanks.
If your department ever has the need for help, I'm in Brandon, have the 107 licence and I'm also an ATP and current, you can email me and I'll give you all the info you need at [email protected]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20