Sharing your video feed with a bigger screen

So I have been thinking for a while to get a 32" TV to carry in my car, so when I get a drone gig, I can set up the TV and share my video feed with the client. I know DJI, has something where you can replace a part in your controller and get a HDMI output port, but I don't wish to be tethered to a base station through a HDMI cable. At first I thought tethered was the way to go, but didn't wanted to part ways with $100 to get the part and I looked into various solutions for this, but couldn't get one that worked. So I kept giving it some thought. Last night I was mirroring my tablet to my TV so I could watch a movie I had on the tablet and it hit me! If it works for this, why wouldn't it work for the video feed? On the photo below I am using an Autel Evo but I have confirmed it also works great with DJI, also I am using everything Samsung, so I didn't need any adapter, just a WiFi signal. I also tried it with Chrome-cast and Roku at they both worked as well. The delay on the TV depends on the WiFi signal strength at the time of the broadcast, but it does not affect the video feed on your phone or tablet. (This is my man cave, so please excuse the crude furnishing. When I get home, I will update this post with the photo of the DJI.

So for a future setup, what I am looking for is a 32" 720p TV that has HDMI and USB to connect the Chrome-cast. In addition I want a small router that I can Velcro to the back of the TV, so I can connect both the Chrome-cast and the phone. I always carry an inverter and a power extension cord in my car, so I have the electricity covered. What do you guys think? If you have a better solution, please share that as well. I am open to constructive criticism as well
Actually I try this months ago with Apple products. My iPad screen mirrored to my Apple TV and it was perfect until shortly after take off when it stopped mirroring. I tried it a couple of times and the same time happened a roughly the same time. My guess is that as soon as it really starts devoting itself to receiving signal from the drone it cuts signal to the mirror. Anyway to all apple users, please let me know it you have better luck. Thx, rb

Actually I try this months ago with Apple products. My iPad screen mirrored to my Apple TV and it was perfect until shortly after take off when it stopped mirroring. I tried it a couple of times and the same time happened a roughly the same time. My guess is that as soon as it really starts devoting itself to receiving signal from the drone it cuts signal to the mirror. Anyway to all apple users, please let me know it you have better luck. Thx, rb
I was planning to try it out today, but sadly it is raining and there are winds of 34mph. Flying in these conditions is asking to lose your drone. Hopefully tomorrow it will be a better day and I can test it out.

Edit: It stop raining and the winds died a bit. I was able to fly, but as soon as I took off, the winds picked up. I was able to fly some 420 feet out, but had to turn back, do to high winds. I want to test range on a more controlled environment. I recorded my screen and will be posting it here as soon as I get home and upload it to a video service.

Last edited:
So, like I said previously, it was raining and high winds today. The rain stopped and the winds slowed down for a bit, but as soon as I took off, they picked up so I couldn't do a range test. My best distance was 424' (around 122m). I returned the drone and waited a bit for the wind to slow down, as soon as it did, I took off again, only to be disappointed with the winds picking up speed again, so I decided to try a range test between the tablet and the laptop, to see how far I could walk before the signal could cut. I walked from the car (car on the right with the trunk opened) all the way to the end of the mini pier. Did not loose signal at all. The laptop was inside the trunk, the reason why it was open. I walked all around the car and never lost signal. After the flight I took a measuring tape to measure the distance from the farthest point I walked to the car and it was 50' (15m). Overall I am satisfied with the result.

Note: The video is a bit long. I didn't want to cut any part of it, to prove that I never lost signal from the tablet to the laptop or from the tablet to the drone. You will notice that when I moved the drone quickly, pixelation and tearing would occur, but other than that I can say it worked perfectly.

If you guys think I could have done something differently or have any ideas or input, please let me know.

One worry I have is I usually set my control device on the RC to Airplane Mode so that incoming events can’t interrupt my flight. Would that interfere with this configuration?

After what @3rdof5 said about Chromecast needing internet to work, I continued doing research on this topic. Well it turns out you only need a laptop. Windows 10 has an app called Connect, that uses the wifi adapter in the laptop as an ad-hoc directly to the tablet. It has a delay of around 1 second. Although not as fast as the Chromecast option, I don't have to carry various things to achieve what I wanted. My laptop's screen is 18", so it's big enough for clients to see what I'm watching.

HI Ansia...
How did you connect using the Connect application to your tablet?
Is this Connect application something from Microsoft that came with Windows 10?
Thanks.

DJI Fly App (Mavic Air 2), Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 and screen cast to a Chromecast does not work. It may be due to the implementation of the Samsung screen mirror in the tablet or something related to DJI Fly app image overlay.

Also, I am absolutely sure that Chromecast needs internet connection to work. The internet connection can be a 4G hotspot from a mobile phone.
Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl