Shaking of video when flying at fast speeds -30 second video

Reaction score
I am flying a DJI phantom version 1 with upgrade motors and I have moved between the vision props and the stock props. I am also using an Arris cm2000 gimbal. I have noticed that when I am flying forward at a fast speed I am getting enough shaking to make the video less that useable. I have worked real hard to get the props balanced and I think I did a pretty good job so does anyone else have any ideas as to why the video is still shaking? Here is a clip from a practice flight:

http://vimeo.com/88613368

Thanks for any suggestions.

- GB

Re: Shaking of video when flying at fast speeds -30 second v

This happens to me sometimes when I fly fast. What I have noticed is that my Gopro is flat and not aerodynamic at all, so If I fly fast the wind shakes the camera, in the other hand gimbals are sensitive also, I know I touch mine and shakes.

I believe what is happening to you is the combination of the 2.

To rule out motor vibration film your phantom going up at full throttle, if the shakes is still noticeable then you know is produced by high motor RPM. in the other hand f the shake disappears you know the wind striking your camera at high speeds is making your footage shaky.

Hope this helps.

Idahomojo said:
I am flying a DJI phantom version 1 with upgrade motors and I have moved between the vision props and the stock props. I am also using an Arris cm2000 gimbal. I have noticed that when I am flying forward at a fast speed I am getting enough shaking to make the video less that useable. I have worked real hard to get the props balanced and I think I did a pretty good job so does anyone else have any ideas as to why the video is still shaking? Here is a clip from a practice flight:

- GB

That doesn't seem normal at all. Was it windy that day or is it always the same? You mentioned you moved between the vision props and the stock props, flying with the stock props (no need to balance) should at least provide decent stability. I've ordered the 8x5 Graupner Elektro props to give carbon probs another go but here's a video I just uploaded for you to see how my phantom shoots at high speeds with stock props and Tarot T-2D gimbal:

http://youtu.be/MWSL9wKcDlU

I know there's yaw jitter on the phantom and there's nothing we can do about it (unless we have the arris cm3000), but your video is shaking in all axis.What amrflyingdude said about your camera shaking is possible. Normally your gimbal shouldn't allow that, and I assume it's well screwed on the phantom. Is the camera well attached to the gimbal could it be wobbling in high winds?

Idahomojo said:

- GB

Just saw your video, and I'm going to assume its from the natural elements induced from fast flight on a multi rotor. A three axis gimbal will help reduce this effect, but keep in mind a quad is designed for slow fluid like movement. If you want speed, then try an airplane or helicopter, these are more aerodynamic and stable. I can get pretty good video on my rc helicopter up to 70 mph, after that, it shakes like yours.

It's probably because of that Arris gimbal you're using.
Just go with the H3-2D. I can fly this puppy at all types of speeds.

Or bad wiring? Jeeze, that video is bad.

I have the CM2000 (v5) also and I got the exact same type of vibration at full speed. It wasn't nearly as bad as yours but what caused it for me was that the rubber balls connecting the anti-jello plate were too soft. When you go fast, the wind buffets the anti-jello tray (via the camera) and causes that.

Take some foam earplugs and roll them down as thin as you can get them like you're rolling dough. Then VERY quickly jam them into the holes in the rubber shocks before they can start to expand. If done quick enough, you can get them all the way through so a little sticks out both sides of the rubber shocks, then they slowly expand and fill the rubber shocks, stiffening them just enough. For me, it eliminated the problem completely. Doesn't cost much to try anyway!

It's not likely the fault of the gimbal itself. Any gimbal (including a 3 axis) mounted on a wobbly plate will do what is seen in that video! The CM2000 is a nice gimbal.

P.S. Yaw jitter is very easily removed via video software stabilization at only the expense of a few pixels and some processing time. I had buffeting before I did the above fix in a couple of my videos about as bad as the first two (milder) samples in your example and I was able to completely eliminate it post processing in my daughter's Sony Vegas. End result was rock solid.

Mike

mikeydaddio said:
P.S. Yaw jitter is very easily removed via video software stabilization at only the expense of a few pixels and some processing time. I had buffeting before I did the above fix in a couple of my videos about as bad as the first two (milder) samples in your example and I was able to completely eliminate it post processing in my daughter's Sony Vegas. End result was rock solid.

Mike

That is almost correct Mike, I'm using Adobe's warp stabilizer which is supposedly one of the best (I suspect Vegas' is pretty similar though), but I try to avoid it if I can. I find that it's ok to use it if your phantom is just hovering or moving forward, but if you're performing yaw movement as well then not only you lose pixels, your image becomes a bit distorted (which is logical).

In any case I suppose the OP should have enough info to identify the problem now, one other thing to check (if all else fails) is the voltage to the gimbal (but not as a likely cause as the other things suggested earlier). Good luck

s0crates said:
mikeydaddio said:

Mike

That is almost correct Mike, I'm using Adobe's warp stabilizer which is supposedly one of the best (I suspect Vegas' is pretty similar though), but I try to avoid it if I can. I find that it's ok to use it if your phantom is just hovering or moving forward, but if you're performing yaw movement as well then not only you lose pixels, your image becomes a bit distorted (which is logical).

In any case I suppose the OP should have enough info to identify the problem now, one other thing to check (if all else fails) is the voltage to the gimbal (but not as a likely cause as the other things suggested earlier). Good luck

Never noticed any distortion WRT yaw when stabilizing. I guess it's possible that the Vegas stabilizer is better than Adobe's. But certainly the goal is always the least amount of post processing because any type of post processing that has to "mend pixels" is going to affect sharpness.

Mike

Idahomojo said:
Thanks for all the ideas. I went and added the earplugs as suggested and here are the results:

http://youtu.be/HobZpuz72Sw

It does look better, but that's still quite a bit of vibration at high speed. Most of it looks like yaw buffeting which can't be controlled with a 2 axis gimbal but I think I see some roll vibrations too. Make sure the camera is tight to the gimbal mount. Also, try flying backwards at full speed and see if the vibration is gone. If so, you may need to take steps to move the gimbal mount back more toward the middle of the underbelly. I'm thinking those props combined with the full forward speed is causing an abnormal amount of wind buffeting and if you look down on the Phantom from directly above, anything sticking out past the edge of the shell is going to get caught in prop wash. Keep that in mind. If all else fails you may need to go into the SimpleBGC software and increase both the pitch and roll power amounts (the "P" in the PID) and possibly also/or increase the "D" amount which I think of as "delay". There may be some feedback in the gimbal trying to correct. Hard to tell which (buffeting or gimbal feedback) is causing most/all of that vibration.

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.