Setting and resetting Altitude height - interesting item

Reaction score
I have for some time wondered about the actual effects on settings created by Power Up and later change of Home Point.

'Experts' on another forum - we shall leave them unidentified for good order - were adamant that changing Home Point during flight only changed the geographic GPS location and not the altitude reference. That Altitude ZERO would remain set at original Home Point due to AC knowing it was not static.

I am now looking for anyone who has actually checked the results of changing Home Point to the Altitude display.

If the Altitude does reset to make the new Home Point ZERO ... then it means that the AC can effectively 'beat' the limitation imposed by FW. But of course that means that your Geographic GPS Location will change to the new point.

I am not proposing that we all go out and defy Laws and fly at incredible heights. My point in the post is to find out what actually is correct.

It could assist those who wish to work a steeply rising terrain ... video a mountain or high hill for example. Take-off from valley ... climb ... reset ... climb etc. You could I suppose even stay above the original home point and reset for altitude ? Antenna orientation of course is a limitation then.

Because I already know from my own experiments that AC will land properly despite going into -ve altitude - there would be no need to reset as you descend ... UNLESS as some programs do - they apply same rules of 500m max whether +ve or -ve.

Anyone care to test / maybe post up a video ... I will try and test this out once weather improves ... and in a suitable out of way location.

Nigel

'Experts' on another forum - ... - were adamant that changing Home Point during flight only changed the geographic GPS location and not the altitude reference.
They are correct.
There is no altitude associated with a new homepoint when you reset.
Even after resetting the homepoint, all altitudes are still relative to the original launch point.

Reason I question is nothing to do with proving them wrong ... its actually prompted by a video I saw of a test with a P1 .... its a pity that he used Flytrax that seems to counter his commentary.

Now before people start jumping all over me - I am well aware that many items have been changed since the P1 ... in fact the old trick of beating max altitude by use of climb to max ... flick RTH and then climb again was programmed out long time ago ...

My request is anyone care to video / test to confirm ? I will test once weather improves.

Nothing against you Meta4 .... in fact I believe you. But would be nice to be 101% sure.

Lets assume I am in a valley. I have a 600m cliff or rock in front of me.

I take off ... and climb - but I cannot reach to the top because as my P3P shows in previous videos - gets to about 498m and stops climbing ... it actually 'bounces' against the 500m limit.
But if I climb to say 150m and then reset HOME POINT ... will the Altitude reset to ZERO at that and effectively give me 500 + 150m capability because the FW will still see 500m as a limit unbroken ?

You can then see the advantage IF it works ...

Bear with me guys - don't shoot me just yet !!

Nigel

Nothing against you Meta4 .... in fact I believe you. But would be nice to be 101% sure.
You can easily test for yourself. It only takes two minutes. I just did.
Launch ... fly out 50 metres and up 30 metres, reset home to the aircraft's current location and observe the altitude indicator.
And guess what ........ it's stays at 30 metres just as you would expect.
A new homepoint has no altitude associated with it.

Reactions: N017RW
That's good you tested ... I have awful weather still.

I meant no disrepect to your earlier post.

Nigel

Out of interest :

What P3 ?
FW ?
Go ?
Litchi ?

Just asking because these factors should be included in results we quote. Someone with older - may get different results or think they do !!

Cheers
Nigel

What P3 ? FW ? Go ?
Just asking because these factors should be included in results we quote. Someone with older - may get different results or think they do !!
I fly a P4 pro with up-to-date firmware and DJI go but that shouldn't make any difference.
DJI's basic programming of things like the 500 metre limit hasn't changed.

'Experts' on another forum - we shall leave them unidentified for good order - were adamant that changing Home Point during flight only changed the geographic GPS location and not the altitude reference. That Altitude ZERO would remain set at original Home Point due to AC knowing it was not static.
Those experts are correct (on this topic anyhow). This is how the current Phantoms work today (and how previous Phantoms have worked in the past).

My P2NV has zero altitude set on first instance of throttle exceeding 10%.

Those experts are correct (on this topic anyhow). This is how the current Phantoms work today (and how previous Phantoms have worked in the past).

Appreciated ... it is a topic of discussion elsewhere that prompted it.

I had asked in past because I know old FW had a 'backdoor' trick where altitude could be exceeded by using RTH. When that 'door' was closed - I assumed altitude was then locked as you say.

The guy with the P1 in the video above showed that he could alter altitude. Of course another guy with no evidence said his P3 did same ... which obviously is crap !!

Nigel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20