Self-Unlocking Ahead of Time No Longer Available???

Reaction score
Is it still possible to self unlock from the computer ahead of time? I don't see the possibility to do that anymore.

I am using this website address: Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

Maybe that is the wrong web page???

I will be flying near to Gnoss airfield ( a class G airport with no tower) in Novato, California.

I would like to unlock it just in case since there are places where I get NO cellphone signal. Thanks, Verizon :(

But when I click on the zone to unlock, I don't get any fields to input my serial number or time I will be there.

I am logged in to my dji account.

I have tried using Chrome, Firefox, and Brave web browsers.

I am baffled by this.

Reactions: dronesky
Is it still possible to self unlock from the computer ahead of time? I don't see the possibility to do that anymore.

I will be flying near to Gnoss airfield ( a class G airport with no tower) in Novato, California.

I would like to unlock it just in case since there are places where I get NO cellphone signal. Thanks, Verizon :(

But when I click on the zone to unlock, I don't get any fields to input my serial number or time I will be there.

I am baffled by this.
There is no unlock for class G airspace because it's not required

Thanks!!! That makes sense.

I just get confused on why things are called authorization zones and require an authorization through the DJI GO App at the time of flight, but I can't do it in advance. There are many times when I can't get a cell signal in the area.

I guess that means I am going to have to get Litchi or some other app then so that when I am CERTAIN i am in class G airspace I can still fly despite not having a cellphone signal. (Unless there is some way to bypass the autorization requirement using the DJI GO app???)

FAA is in charge of authorization you have to use a LAANC provider to get approval to fly Not DJI when you get approval through LAANC you then go to DJI to unlock geofencing if you are really in class G airspace you cannot get authorization because None is required here is a link to help.
Also you don't need a cell signal to fly they fly fine without it

Last edited:
Just curious, why do you need a cell phone signal during the flight?

Just curious, why do you need a cell phone signal during the flight?
If a dji unlock is required in an 'authorization zone', it requires an internet connection. It could be done in advance from a computer, but in the field would require a phone. Enhanced warning zone unlocks would not require internet.

Last edited:

I am baffled by this.
As others have said, dji can not authorize, only FAA through LAANC, or waiver sysem. However, Dji unlock zones do not always comply with airspace, and therefore even though the GNOSS field is class G and doesn't require FAA authorization, DJI shows to have two bowtie shaped authorization zones, and if you want to fly in those areas, you need an unlock form dji. Litchi is not a workaround for this, as it still relies on the dji goefence system. I tried it as far as I could without getting authorized, and it appears to work for me. Make sure you click on the blue authorization zone, otherwise it will not proceed to the next step. Also, I would unlock the zone even if you are going to only fly close to it, as the dji zone map is sometimes inaccurate.

By the way, not sure how many times you have done a dji unlock, but be sure to import it to the drone while you have an internet connection, it is not enough to have it show in the app.

Doing that from home is OK although it's pretty complicated.
I don't recommend doing that during the flight. I'm sure that almost all of you have seen those (not so rare) air crash investigations where pilots (two of them!) were so occupied looking for some navigational data, that they forgot to fly the plane.

Reactions: homemaster
Doing that from home is OK although it's pretty complicated.
I don't recommend doing that during the flight. I'm sure that almost all of you have seen those (not so rare) air crash investigations where pilots (two of them!) were so occupied looking for some navigational data, that they forgot to fly the plane.
I agree, I would never attempt during flight, but in a pinch it could be done prior to flight on location if you have connection. I always do it at home as part of my planning process.

I regularly unlock DJI Geo Zones at home before traveling to the flying site. When doing so, instructions are uploaded to the authorized drone that allow if to fly in the authorized geo zone during the authorized time period, so it is already unlocked when I arrive on site.

When flying with a third-party app like Litchi or DroneDeploy, you have to unlock the zone with DJI Go or DJI Fly first, then hard close the DJI app before flying with the third-party app.

Technically, I believe a DJI drone can only have one zone unlocked at a time, but I can sometimes have 2-3 zones unlocked simultaneously on my P4P with an iPad Air, but it only works that way intermittently.

Reactions: homemaster
Technically, I believe a DJI drone can only have one zone unlocked at a time, but I can sometimes have 2-3 zones unlocked simultaneously on my P4P with an iPad Air, but it only works that way intermittently.
exact.y how I do it, works like a charm. Iv'e never had to unlock two zones at once, but I am thinking that you can load several unlock codes into the aircraft, but only turn them on one at a time.

Reactions: Wavepilot
Hi again, Everyone:

I am STILL having problems with this.

The other day I tried flying from in front of 3008 Topaz Dr, Novato, CA 94945

It is close to Gnoss Airfield, which again is a class G airfied. But where I was flying is listed by DJI as an Enhanced Warning Zone:

Here is what it looks like in the Geo Zone Fly Map

autorizationzone1.jpg

At the time I launched, the DJI GO 4 App asked me of I wanted to get authorization to fly there. I tried to get Authoriziation through the app, but after I enter the verification code, the stupid keyboard covers up the submit button and I can't get the keyboard to move out of the way. I tried three times and finally I just hit cancel. Oddly enough, it allowed me to fly even WITHOUT getting authorization.

But the other issue to me is how do I get authorization IN ADVANCE??? There isn't any where on that DJI Geo Zones Page that would allow me to unlick it in advance (there used to be this feature, but now there isn't).

EDIT: Are they all done by logging in to the DJI FlySafe website instead now??? I just discovered that separate URL / Website.

And does this work for an Enhanced Warning Zone, too??? If I use the DJI FlySafe to unlock Gnoss Airfield, will I still have to use the DJI Go App for the enhanced warning zone, too???

Hi again, Everyone:

I am STILL having problems with this.

The other day I tried flying from in front of 3008 Topaz Dr, Novato, CA 94945

It is close to Gnoss Airfield, which again is a class G airfied. But where I was flying is listed by DJI as an Enhanced Warning Zone:

Here is what it looks like in the Geo Zone Fly Map

View attachment 124220

At the time I launched, the DJI GO 4 App asked me of I wanted to get authorization to fly there. I tried to get Authoriziation through the app, but after I enter the verification code, the stupid keyboard covers up the submit button and I can't get the keyboard to move out of the way. I tried three times and finally I just hit cancel. Oddly enough, it allowed me to fly even WITHOUT getting authorization.

But the other issue to me is how do I get authorization IN ADVANCE??? There isn't any where on that DJI Geo Zones Page that would allow me to unlick it in advance (there used to be this feature, but now there isn't).

EDIT: Are they all done by logging in to the DJI FlySafe website instead now??? I just discovered that separate URL / Website.

And does this work for an Enhanced Warning Zone, too??? If I use the DJI FlySafe to unlock Gnoss Airfield, will I still have to use the DJI Go App for the enhanced warning zone, too???
Hi Mark,sorry your still having problems, the dji site can be a pain. 1st if it is an enhanced warning zone it should (in theory) only require that you check the box in the app saying you are allowed to fly there. does not require a code or internet to work. I say in theory, because once and a while they are a little off, and an authorization code is needed. In reality there system is supposed to only require the code if you are in an authorization zone, which are the blue areas on their map - that will require both a code and an internet concection to load the code from you app to the drone, which you can do in advance form a computer, so that you don't have the keyboard issue on your phone..

This is the site, Fly Safe - DJI log into your dji account, top right side, I believe at the bottom of the page is a button that say unlock zone, it will have you add your device, & contoller number, click next for a searchable map, when you get to Novato, click on the blue area on the map, and then below the map it will ask for flight date and time, I recomend you unlock the blue area even if you are only flying near it, and especially if you are flying directly inline with it. Of course only fly where the LAANC sysem has given you permision, but unlocking there authorization zone helps insure you don't get stuck while in flight.

Now before you leave you need to go into your dji app and find where the authorization code is, and with your app, controller & drone on, you need to hit the button/slider that says to import the code into the aircraft. You must have an internet connection for this step, It can be done in advance, and I believe the code is actually good for a few days from the date you apply for.

Hope this is helpful, - not the simplest of setups.

Hi Mark,sorry your still having problems, the dji site can be a pain. 1st if it is an enhanced warning zone it should (in theory) only require that you check the box in the app saying you are allowed to fly there. does not require a code or internet to work. I say in theory, because once and a while they are a little off, and an authorization code is needed. In reality there system is supposed to only require the code if you are in an authorization zone, which are the blue areas on their map - that will require both a code and an internet concection to load the code from you app to the drone, which you can do in advance form a computer, so that you don't have the keyboard issue on your phone..

This is the site, Fly Safe - DJI log into your dji account, top right side, I believe at the bottom of the page is a button that say unlock zone, it will have you add your device, & contoller number, click next for a searchable map, when you get to Novato, click on the blue area on the map, and then below the map it will ask for flight date and time, I recomend you unlock the blue area even if you are only flying near it, and especially if you are flying directly inline with it. Of course only fly where the LAANC sysem has given you permision, but unlocking there authorization zone helps insure you don't get stuck while in flight.

Now before you leave you need to go into your dji app and find where the authorization code is, and with your app, controller & drone on, you need to hit the button/slider that says to import the code into the aircraft. You must have an internet connection for this step, It can be done in advance, and I believe the code is actually good for a few days from the date you apply for.

Hope this is helpful, - not the simplest of setups.

Sorry for the delay, but thank you SO MUCH for the detailed explanation and tutorial.

I guess that leaves the SECOND problem for me. How to fly in an Enhanced Warning Zone (not an authorization zone) when I can't click the Submit (or verify) button after receiving the real time code from DJI because there app keeps showing the keyboard and wont let me click submit button.

(Also, what to do when in enhanced warning zone and I don't have cell service nor internet connection).

Sorry for the delay, but thank you SO MUCH for the detailed explanation and tutorial.

I guess that leaves the SECOND problem for me. How to fly in an Enhanced Warning Zone (not an authorization zone) when I can't click the Submit (or verify) button after receiving the real time code from DJI because there app keeps showing the keyboard and wont let me click submit button.

(Also, what to do when in enhanced warning zone and I don't have cell service nor internet connection).
My understanding per the dji website, is that enhanced warning zone does not require connection. As for you phone keyboard covering up the check box, I don't know. There is probably some way to make the keyboard go way, which would be different on different phones, or maybe different versions of your operating system, I to have had that problem in various apps. I recommend that you google how to do that, for both your model phone, and maybe even you version of operating system, learn how and try it a few times specifically in your dji app until you are comfortable with it.

My understanding per the dji website, is that enhanced warning zone does not require connection. As for you phone keyboard covering up the check box, I don't know. There is probably some way to make the keyboard go way, which would be different on different phones, or maybe different versions of your operating system, I to have had that problem in various apps. I recommend that you google how to do that, for both your model phone, and maybe even you version of operating system, learn how and try it a few times specifically in your dji app until you are comfortable with it.

Thanks for the input. I guess I will have to google it. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of alternative way in the DJI Go4 app to do it.

Thanks again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj