Seek thermal camera attached to P4 gimbal

Such a nice solution. I had a FLIR + an Android i mounted to the P4, but the whole thing got so unstable i had to quit. Are you maybe selling this solution?

Reactions: Brojon
Such a nice solution. I had a FLIR + an Android i mounted to the P4, but the whole thing got so unstable i had to quit. Are you maybe selling this solution?
thanks for ur interest. but for now, its way far from final.

Sorry for delay in response.
The mounts are designed and 3d printed by myself. I do not intend to sell them, cause various phone type and thermal camera types (such as flir one) have different sizes. So the thing I designed and 3d printed might not be good for everyone.
Besides, mounting the camera to the gimbal adds a weight to the gimbal. I have encountered "gimbal overload warning" at some occasions, especially in strong winds.
Altogether, this is not a completed and mature project yet. But I am working to make things better, When done, I'll be glad to share the results.
To me, this is not a profitable project.
p.s. The delay in response is because I didn't receive post notifications in my Email. Do you know why?

Brilliant idea buddy - I have a Seek that I've been using for a couple of years now to do thermal imaging on homes to detect losses/leaks.
Yours is a much better solution to anything I've cobbled up which was at a fixed angle. Interested to hear what OTG cable you used that's light and flexible enough to allow the gimbal to move freely.
My other question is to the necessity for the counterweight. You have it aligned for front/rear compensation but in fact the camera (very light BTW) is on the horizontal axis. I'm betting that if you provide a counterbalance opposite the Seek camera you could make it both lighter and shorter - or maybe eliminate altogether. Or perhaps it's there to counter the OTG cable drag?

Maybe a Raspbery PI project with a video transmitter?
I am thinking about it if I have some free time...
Now that's an interesting thought - I'm pretty sure the Seek sends digital video through the OTG connection. Perhaps you could wire it directly into a digital transmitter like they use in some FPV quads. I'm registered as a dev for the Seek - I will look into the USB pinout to see if I can find out.
I know that there are some folks that have written apps in .NET to image process the Seek on a PC.

Brilliant idea buddy - I have a Seek that I've been using for a couple of years now to do thermal imaging on homes to detect losses/leaks.
Yours is a much better solution to anything I've cobbled up which was at a fixed angle. Interested to hear what OTG cable you used that's light and flexible enough to allow the gimbal to move freely.
My other question is to the necessity for the counterweight. You have it aligned for front/rear compensation but in fact the camera (very light BTW) is on the horizontal axis. I'm betting that if you provide a counterbalance opposite the Seek camera you could make it both lighter and shorter - or maybe eliminate altogether. Or perhaps it's there to counter the OTG cable drag?
I have tried to compensate in both axes, partialy successful, but not ideal yet.
The cable must have 5 wires (some microusb extensions have only four wires).
To make it very flexibld, I made my own cable, four tiny wires plus the sheild. For the sheild i used a ribon of aluminum foil around the wires....

Reactions: Brojon
grea
Now that's an interesting thought - I'm pretty sure the Seek sends digital video through the OTG connection. Perhaps you could wire it directly into a digital transmitter like they use in some FPV quads. I'm registered as a dev for the Seek - I will look into the USB pinout to see if I can find out.
I know that there are some folks that have written apps in .NET to image process the Seek on a PC.
great, i'm looking for your news.

Last edited:
One question. Do you manually start the phone recording at takeoff or are you able to activate “record” in flight?

As has been mentioned raspberry pi is probably the go- have a look at the wifibroadcast FPV forum. Lightbridge equivalent performance for peanuts. You can even download prebuilt SD card packages ready to run. Will outperform the mobile phone option.

Reactions: FlyingUser

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl