Sectional Charts - What's the best online learning resource?

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I've done searches on the forum but haven't really found an answer to this with the exception of a link or two.

I've scoured YouTube and even though there are some videos to learn this, they are not all that great from a perspective of someone who is new to this field. I've been looking for a couple of days and watched quite a few of them, but they are all almost too technical, like you almost have to know it before you watch them.

I have a great study guide for it, but videos definitely help supplement that.

Thanks!

If you're looking for the free route, it's a mixed bag. I've seen some really useful tutorials and some really bad ones. The problem is that people who don't really know the subject themselves try to teach it to others. Lot of that going on. The main things about sectionals you'll have to know for the test are:
(1) How to find locations based on lats/longs
(2) How to identify airspace classes at specific locations
(3) Determine whether or not an Airspace Authorization is required for a specific location
(4) Know what various chart symbols mean
(5) Know how to determine various radio frequencies (weather, traffic, etc.) at airports

Reactions: BigAl07
I would suggest you go to the fixed base operator at your local airport and talk to a CFI (certified flight instructor) and find out what he would charge to teach you how to read sectional charts. It shouldn't be that much. The local Community College here has an 8 week drone class that covers everything you would need to know to pass the 107 exam. Cost is $75 bucks which covers sectional charts. Hope this helps.

If you're looking for the free route, it's a mixed bag. I've seen some really useful tutorials and some really bad ones. The problem is that people who don't really know the subject themselves try to teach it to others. Lot of that going on. The main things about sectionals you'll have to know for the test are:
(1) How to find locations based on lats/longs
(2) How to identify airspace classes at specific locations
(3) Determine whether or not an Airspace Authorization is required for a specific location
(4) Know what various chart symbols mean
(5) Know how to determine various radio frequencies (weather, traffic, etc.) at airports

Thank you! That's been part of my battle, figuring out what will be relevant for drones. I want to learn the entire system, not just to pass the test, but I don't want information overload for the test to confuse myself in the process.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

There's a 700 page PDF on FAA website. The Aeronautical Information Manual, I believe it's called. It's the one that contains the same sectionals that are on the test.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I use Foreflight for my real plane and it's reasonably priced if you want to have a proper legal flight map. Shows all airports, heliports, private strips....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I. It the bullet and purchased a membership to remotepilot101. $150 for life. The guy does a great job with his videos. Each one is from 3-15 minutes long. He constantly updates and has the ability to teach well. I figured I'm going to have r do this again in two years so this mad the most sense. They have live chat during business hours and they are great about getting back to you otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thank you! That's been part of my battle, figuring out what will be relevant for drones. I want to learn the entire system, not just to pass the test, but I don't want information overload for the test to confuse myself in the process.

Give this free practice test a try. It will give you a good feel for what you have to know for the test:

FAA Part 107 Ground School

Buy a printed sectional map somewhere - then study it for a long time - there is a code printed on the map. You're done studying when you can understand everything on the map.

Reactions: Rob Levine

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj