Secondary screen to hand to someone standing next to me to mirror my display on my tablet

Reaction score
When I fly the P3, I always get friends and bystanders wanting to see the live view on the screen of my ipad mini 2. I was wondering is there is another screen or tablet I can hand them that could wirelessly mirror the screen on my ipad mini 2. (Just a duplicate screen....no controls) ? It doesn't have to be an apple device either. Anything that would do this?

I havent tested this yet and this only applies to the p3 and should work on both ios and andriod.
You need google chromecast and another screen that accepts hdmi input.
Since the dji app does not use the phones wifi, the chrome cast can do wifi mirroring to any hdmi display.

Makes sense?

I saw someone posting that they did the same thing with an apple TV as well...

Hmm..I am looking for a more portable solution. Maybe like a tablet with HDMI input would work with chromecast dongle? (Battery operated display). I don't think apple TV is battery operated. Does the Nvidia Shield tablet have HDMI input? (Not output)

Hmm..I am looking for a more portable solution. Maybe like a tablet with HDMI input would work with chromecast dongle? (Battery operated display). I don't think apple TV is battery operated. Does the Nvidia Shield tablet have HDMI input? (Not output)
Nope, shield is input only. I don't believe any tablet has HDMI in. You'd need a monitor.

Edit: Shield is output only. Thanks for pointing out the error @tcope

Last edited:
Okay. I am off to go find a battery powered portable monitor that takes HDMI input. Thanks!

When I fly the P3, I always get friends and bystanders wanting to see the live view on the screen of my ipad mini 2. I was wondering is there is another screen or tablet I can hand them that could wirelessly mirror the screen on my ipad mini 2. (Just a duplicate screen....no controls) ? It doesn't have to be an apple device either. Anything that would do this?
Well I know this wont work on the ipad, but I bought a nvidia shield tablet and one reason I got that one is because it has a hdmi output. I have a 5" hdmi lilliput monitor with a 15ft hdmi cable running from the tablet, works great for another person to see what I see.

The GeChick monitor sounds perfect (except it is kind of annoying to have to carry an external battery back to power it, but so be it) 7-8 hours use on one charge.

I havent tested this yet and this only applies to the p3 and should work on both ios and andriod.
You need google chromecast and another screen that accepts hdmi input.
Since the dji app does not use the phones wifi, the chrome cast can do wifi mirroring to any hdmi display.

Makes sense?
Please explain how Chromecast can mirror to any hdmi display. I use Chromecast everyday.

Please explain how Chromecast can mirror to any hdmi display. I use Chromecast everyday.
I don't own one, but I had to set one up for a mate.
This is for android. I think it should be similar for IOS.
The only grey area I have is that the WIFI is 2.4ghz on both phone and chromecast and may obstruct the Lightbridge system. I am sure DJI have thought this through as they have introduced live streaming capabilities. Mind you, most live streaming is done via 3g/4g,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't own one, but I had to set one up for a mate.
This is for android. I think it should be similar for IOS.
The only grey area I have is that the WIFI is 2.4ghz on both phone and chromecast and may obstruct the Lightbridge system. I am sure DJI have thought this through as they have introduced live streaming capabilities. Mind you, most live streaming is done via 3g/4g,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
The two methods in this video don't work. I don't think you can mirror the screen on iOS unless you have Apple TV. They have it locked down. Thanks for the help anyway. I don't think they would be opposed to letting dji add casting to the app tho.

Reactions: Mako79
Okay. I am off to go find a battery powered portable monitor that takes HDMI input. Thanks!
Wifi needs to be turned off on the device flying the phantom-- or did I lose the conversation somewhere?

I guess I would have to wait for that HDMI card to come out that you install on the controller itself?

With everyone complaining about the 1.1.9 firmware with the Android tablets/DJI Pilot App...I think I am going to have to stay iOS for now. I heard there was a new firmware released today so we will see if they fixed the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan