Second transmitter for gimbal tilt

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm interested in adding a second transmitter for a second person to control the tilt (and maybe the roll?) of my Tarot 2-D gimbal.

I was wondering if something simple and dirt cheap like this would work: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Tx_Rx.html

The Tarot has a row dedicated to S-BUS, but I'm guessing it can use regular PWM control too (I.E. how the Phantom itself outputs?)

Anyone have experience doing this? Thanks!

No experience, but I believe your theory to be correct. If that's what you want to do, I wouldn't hesitate in trying it.

The only problem with using a pistol grip like both controls are probably self centering and will require the camera man to have to hold it there rather than be able to set it and forget it.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about that, I really like the idea of using the steering wheel to tilt (would seem to be easier to be smoother) so I'd probably just crack it open and remove the spring.

If all your after is the tilt, it might be easier to just get a 5k pot and run wires from the transmitter. Use a male/female stereo jack for connecting wires. Give yourself maybe 3 or 4 feet of cable for your copilot.

thongbong said:
If all your after is the tilt, it might be easier to just get a 5k pot and run wires from the transmitter. Use a male/female stereo jack for connecting wires. Give yourself maybe 3 or 4 feet of cable for your copilot.

Okay, little update here. I really liked the idea of the wired controller, though it turned out to be more expensive then the wireless system.

I decided I didn't want to lose the ability to tilt myself, so I also bought a DPST toggle switch and desoldered just the output pin of the controller potentiometer, then ran wires from both the free leg of the pot and the pad it was originally in to the switch. So I can just flip the toggle switch when I want to control tilt myself, and then flip it the other way when I want to plug in my controller.

For the controller I made it all nice in a little project enclosure and a giant knob. All goes through TRS cable like you suggested. Works great!

EDIT: Thinking about this a little more, anyone wanting to do this might consider using 5.5mm DC jacks instead of the TRS. They're a little less fragile, but more importantly many of them have a "detect" pin that completes a circuit when it's plugged in. That way, you can avoid the toggle switch--simply plugging in the cable with auto-switch it over.

AndyJarosz said:
thongbong said:

Okay, little update here. I really liked the idea of the wired controller, though it turned out to be more expensive then the wireless system.

I decided I didn't want to lose the ability to tilt myself, so I also bought a DPST toggle switch and desoldered just the output pin of the controller potentiometer, then ran wires from both the free leg of the pot and the pad it was originally in to the switch. So I can just flip the toggle switch when I want to control tilt myself, and then flip it the other way when I want to plug in my controller.

For the controller I made it all nice in a little project enclosure and a giant knob. All goes through TRS cable like you suggested. Works great!

EDIT: Thinking about this a little more, anyone wanting to do this might consider using 5.5mm DC jacks instead of the TRS. They're a little less fragile, but more importantly many of them have a "detect" pin that completes a circuit when it's plugged in. That way, you can avoid the toggle switch--simply plugging in the cable with auto-switch it over.

Cool! Photos?

AndyJarosz said:
I was wondering if something simple and dirt cheap like this would work: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Tx_Rx.html

Can't help going a bit off topic here. That Hobby King GT Tx played a key part in my first ever DIY project building a RC motorized slider three years ago! 0:30 in this video http://vimeo.com/28585301 Yes it is simple and dirt cheap but also very reliable. I still have it and could probably use it for something along your idea.

Couple pics:

gSgz0axl.jpg

bFw57bkl.jpg

Okay, so there is one issue, which is the calibration does get messed up when you switch over. So it's unfortunately not as easy as flipping the toggle, you have to actually plug in the Phantom in and recalibrate the X2. Not great, but at least I have the option.

AndyJarosz said:
Couple pics:

gSgz0axl.jpg

bFw57bkl.jpg

Okay, so there is one issue, which is the calibration does get messed up when you switch over. So it's unfortunately not as easy as flipping the toggle, you have to actually plug in the Phantom in and recalibrate the X2. Not great, but at least I have the option.

Very cool, but kind of stinks about the calibration part. Looks clean though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl