FC40 OSD GoPro Setup

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased my FC40 and have fallen in love with its abilities. I'm interested in being able to have an OSD as well as a downlink system on my FC40, in addition to a Tarot gimbal and a GoPro 3+ Black. I've done some research, and I believe the following may work, any thoughts, comments or suggestions? Firstly I'd install an IOSD Mini and required PMU V2. For the downlink system, I'm thinking of using this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _NTSC.html

This should keep transmitter and 2.4ghz interference to a minimum, and the included CCD should work with the IOSD. I would also need a small portable display for the receiver. For the GoPro, my hopes would be that I could use the GoPro's included 2.4ghz wireless, along with a range extender on the ground, to allow me to use the GoPro mobile app to control the camera. The Tarot Gimbal would be wired like any other, and I would modify the transmitter to include axis control.

Am I missing anything or overlooking anything obvious? This seems like it may be a fairly achievable way of getting both an FPV with an OSD, and having the capabilities of a excellent HD camera (the GoPro)

Cheers

Ryan

thats about the same stuff i have from readymaderc. but im using a mobius as my fpv and recording camera. i went with immersion ezosd. i like it but the eagle eye products to me are more functional..for example, realt timg gps coords on the screen at all times..mine just gives it at the end in a flight summary..this helps if you go down but id like to know where i am at all times. i have 2 of those recievers hook upto to eagle eye diversity with a directional and omni antenna. scrap the 2.4 gopro wifi idea..just let it record..it will get the shot that you want since its so wide..focusing on too many screens using fpv could end bad..plus your gopro will be on a gimbal so it should always be pointing straight eventhough you may be flying nose down.

Is the PMU required for any OSD or just the iOSD? This is the next phase of my upgrade, and i wasnt entirely sure.

MiniMadRyan said:
Am I missing anything or overlooking anything obvious?

Just wondering, why don't you just take the video feed from the GoPro's AV output to your video transmitter bypassing the additional weight and power drain of the CCD camera? You'd get gimbaled FPV too :)

wattage said:
MiniMadRyan said:
Am I missing anything or overlooking anything obvious?

Just wondering, why don't you just take the video feed from the GoPro's AV output to your video transmitter bypassing the additional weight and power drain of the CCD camera? You'd get gimbaled FPV too :)

Thanks for the support guys, I really appreciate it :)

In regards to your comment, would I still be able to interact with the gopro and adjust its settings etc on the fly while outputting to the iosd and then the downlink? I was under the impression I could use it for one or the other but not both at the same time

you are not going to be able to communcate with the gorpo when its out there..the wifi is limited. just set it and forget it. readymaderc sells video out cables from the gorpo to your osd..i have ezosd..works fine. you will not want to fly gimbaled go pro..it will always be level...yu willl never know if you are going forward backwards or banking..either use it on the original fc40 mount for fov and recording at the same time or add another camera for fpv. i use mine for dual prupose. i set it up and turn it on and hit record and then edit it all and cut it all up when i get home. nu fuss

biomedchad said:
you will not want to fly gimbaled go pro..it will always be level...yu willl never know if you are going forward backwards or banking

With respect, I don't agree at all. The Vision Plus is a joy to fly with a gimbaled FPV and that has the full three axes of stabilisation as opposed to the more rough and ready two axis G-2D gimbal experience. I find gimbaled FPV amazing. Scenery you're flying over being stabilised and not dancing around with every touch of the sticks is joyous, especially if you have an OSD!

I have to agree. with wattage. A gimbaled mount is just great to fly with. You can tell what the aircraft is doing from what the scenery is doing. If the scenery is disappearing under you then you're going forward, unreeling from underneath then going backwards, scudding right and left is similarly easy to tell. Personally I find it far nicer not to have the camera bouncing all around through buffeting.

Thanks guys,

I agree, a stabilized gimbal is a must have for me. A 2 axis gimbal will suffice, but my ideal platform would be a 4 axis gimbal with multiple sensors... but I can dream haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.