Searching for Local Members for Q&A in SoCal

Reaction score
I am not sure if I should post in the section or the meet up. So Mods you can decide where this ends up.

I am currently in the market for a Phantom 4 Pro. I live in SoCal, Hacienda Heights area. From reading and researching it seems like I can't fly drones anywhere! I even read on this forum that AMA members at Whittier Narrows don't like UAV fliers? (or at least that is what it seems like).

I want to be able to practice flying without drive across town. I don't want to spend hours on the weekend commuting between places to fly.

So my question to other members in my area is, is this something you recommend people living in Los Angeles county area?

Originally I wanted a drone so I can take it with me on my travels... when I out adventuring. I do a lot of elevation hikes, SCUBA, skydiving, base jumping, ziplining, HPDE.....etc.... I was thinking it would be really cool to have aerial views recording at some of those activities. But the more I read, the more I feel like I am being restricted.

I have also been trying to find local drones clubs too....

Lots of places in the LA metropolitan area you cannot fly, plenty of places you can fly, however, not a far drive from you. Start with the Los Angeles sectional map (costs about $7, updated every 6 months) to find plenty of space in the mountains and deserts of southern California. You can even fly beaches as long as you take off and land below the high tide line (public property). Just don't fly over people. Go to those beaches early in the morning before a lot of people are there. Whenever I encounter people near where I'm going to fly the beaches, I talk to them beforehand and tell them where I'm going to fly and photograph, and that I'm not out there to photograph them and disturb their privacy. Without exception, everyone has been copacetic with my intentions. The best reason for you to go ahead and get a quadcopter is that you want to take it on your travels, because contrary to what easterners believe, the LA metropolitan area does not stretch from sea to shining sea.

Well that is the thing I am about 58 miles from the beach and over 100miles to the desert.

With LA traffic this all translate to over 2hrs of drive.

What is this Los Angeles sectional map you are referring to?

I have an app on my phone now call
AirMap and on that map everything is crossed out with red and yellow circles pretty much everything is NO FLY-ZONE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31