SD card recommendation format

this makes no sense, I had an old SD card I once tried, tried writing 4k to it using the Phantom. Speed tests show write and read speeds @ 20mb/s ,from what you're saying, the most it can write is 15mb/s, 4k video seems to write much faster then that
The 4k on a P3 is 60Mb/s which is 7.5MB/s. The P3 writes 4k at 7.5MB/s which is 4x slower than your 30MB/s card.

It has also been shown in tests that the P3 writes some bracketed multiple exposure still photos at a max of ~12MB/s in RAW. That's 2.5x slower than your 30MB/s card.

Hence my post that your 30MB/s card is already more than 2x faster than the P3 is capable of writing to a card.

Does that make sense?

Many people think that super fast write speed cards are a must have for the P3 but its simply not true. In fact, for 4k video and single shot jpg still photos, any class 10 card should work.

As for card densities, my personal choice is to use one lower density card per battery. Its usually a 16GB or 32GB card. I swap out the card when I put in a fresh battery. I would personally never risk losing a lot of work by sending up my phantoms over and over with a single larger density card (64GB or more) chock full of video and/or photos. Of course, everyone has their own level of comfort with risk so others may have no fear of sending up a large density card.

Last edited:
I have a perfect drone, and never had one single negative issue. So yeah, There is 100% faith in my Phantom 3 Pro'. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Why would you want such a huge card in your Phantom?
Bigger isn't always better.
256GB would store about 7 hrs of 4K video - or 20 full batteries worth with each flight filmed from start to finish.
Or 50000 jpg photos, which is probably about 49000 more than you would take in a flight.
...or even 49,850...

I use a 32gb Class 10 cards in the A. I copy the files each time I fly to an USB HD and return the card to the AC. I then reformat the card when I'm about to star my next flights. I also have a spare class 10 32gb in the backpack. Not had any recording or playback issues.

If you want to use up lots of memory, run a DroneDeploy mission!

I flew a subdivision under development, and ended up with 458 pictures in 20 minutes! That is 2.17GB...

The resulting exported 2D map can be downloaded here.

If you create a free account on their website, I think you can see the 3D map, Elevation map, and Plant Health (NDVI) map:
http://drdp.ly/vIvNYY
Pulte Tangerine Ridge.png

I flew a subdivision under development, and ended up with 458 pictures in 20 minutes! That is 2.17GB...
If you create a free account on their website, I think you can see the 3D map, Elevation map, and Plant Health (NDVI) map:
That looks good, what height were you at for it to take so many images?
Looks like the Elevation map and Plant health are for paying customers only.
I'd be interested to see a screen shot of the Plant Health map to see what that looks like if you can do it.

That was flown at 213' altitude, with 60% Sidelap and 70% Frontlap.
2016-11-23_19-16-56.jpg

Not many plants to view the health of here, but...
From another project Tangerine Crossing West Entrance (105' altitude, 70%, 70%) I have exported:
2D Map 0.79 inches per pixel
2D Map 1.97 inches per pixel
Elevation 0.79 inches per pixel
2016-11-23_19-15-49.jpg
Plant Health 0.79 inches per pixel
2016-11-23_19-15-14.jpg

Tangerine Crossing West Entrance.png

That looks good, what height were you at for it to take so many images?
Looks like the Elevation map and Plant health are for paying customers only.
I'd be interested to see a screen shot of the Plant Health map to see what that looks like if you can do it.

Last edited:
this makes no sense, I had an old SD card I once tried, tried writing 4k to it using the Phantom. Speed tests show write and read speeds @ 20mb/s ,from what you're saying, the most it can write is 15mb/s, 4k video seems to write much faster then that

Are you trying to view this 4K video on a 4K display? I tried to watch a 4K video on my laptop that wasn't 4K & it came out stuttering. Also, from what the manual states, 64Gb is the max.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik