SD card recommendation format

Reaction score
This is what I got just now, I got this card

Samsung - EVO+ MB-MC256DA 256GB microSDXC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card

came with my phone, I think the max for the Phantom is 128gb? but whatever, I formatted it first on my PC, then my phantom, all was good, filmed about 10 minutes worth of 1080/60 and it came out beautiful. this was yesterday.
Today I put it back in and got the message to recommend format, ok I thought, but whatever, I formatted it while it was in the air, the message never went away.?

Just looked at my 5 minutes worth of film and its pure stutter, filmed every 4 seconds it looks like.

so... whats the deal you think?

It sounds like your computer is stuttering. I doubt it's an issue with the memory card since it's on the fast end.

definitely not the computer.

Also, the fact it keeps telling me to format on the go app, something isn't right.
just tried to format via pc fat32, it worked at first in the phantom but if I format via phantom, no go.

I have a sandisk 128gb sd card I'm going to try, problem is the write speed isn't all that fast on it.
its an XCi, class 10, but I think the write speed is only 30mb

ill find out I guess, thanks

Reactions: Oso
I thought the Phantom 3 could only handle max., a 64gb micro sd card?

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Falcon900
definitely not the computer.

Also, the fact it keeps telling me to format on the go app, something isn't right.
just tried to format via pc fat32, it worked at first in the phantom but if I format via phantom, no go.

I have a sandisk 128gb sd card I'm going to try, problem is the write speed isn't all that fast on it.
its an XCi, class 10, but I think the write speed is only 30mb

ill find out I guess, thanks
Format as exFAT. The GO app formats cards less than 32gig as fat32, exFAT above.

Reactions: mikesmiley
I have a sandisk 128gb sd card I'm going to try, problem is the write speed isn't all that fast on it. its an XCi, class 10, but I think the write speed is only 30mb
FYI that 30MB/s is already more than 2x faster than the P3 is capable of writing to a card.

Reactions: JoBe
FYI that 30MB/s is already more than 2x faster than the P3 is capable of writing to a card.

this makes no sense, I had an old SD card I once tried, tried writing 4k to it using the Phantom. Speed tests show write and read speeds @ 20mb/s ,from what you're saying, the most it can write is 15mb/s, 4k video seems to write much faster then that

I thought the Phantom 3 could only handle max., a 64gb micro sd card?

RedHotPoker
that's what the P3P manual says. "Max. capacity: 64GB"
Regular digital camera manufacturers (Nikon, etc) all recommend formatting the card in the camera, not the computer.

this makes no sense, I had an old SD card I once tried, tried writing 4k to it using the Phantom. Speed tests show write and read speeds @ 20mb/s ,from what you're saying, the most it can write is 15mb/s, 4k video seems to write much faster then that
Your confusing Mb and MB I suspect. 30MB/s is actually 4 times faster than the P3 writes (ie 60 Mb/s).

Reactions: Falcon900
Reactions: Oso
that's what the P3P manual says. "Max. capacity: 64GB"
Regular digital camera manufacturers (Nikon, etc) all recommend formatting the card in the camera, not the computer.
I always format my micro sd cards in the drone gimbal, and all of my regular sd cards in the Nikon D800. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Me, too. Except I have D810, D500 and D700 :)
My other Nikon is my old faithful/reliable 35mm FE. ;-)

Still got a roll of 400 film in it. Hehe
I'll be Afraid to take it in. No telling what was going on, back then... Ha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: With The Birds
Hahaha, were you wearing your chicken suit? J/K Hahaha
I know, I know. It was a costume party in July. Chuckles
image.jpeg

When I take that roll of exposed mystery pics in,
I will ask for an anonymous number, no name on the pack.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc and Reed L
I always format my micro sd cards in the drone gimbal, and all of my regular sd cards in the Nikon D800. ;-)
After formatting in the computer several hundred times for the Phantom and the D800, I can advise that it makes no difference.
Format wherever it's convenient.

Reactions: Pharm and Oso
I have no reason to format my micro sd cards in the Nikon D800, but I could see formatting my camera cards in the hp computer.
Atleast the larger camera cards don't require an extra reader. My computer has several sizes of card readers built in, but nothing for any as small as the micro sd cards.
I actually enjoy using the various features in the Go app, or camera and have never even considered formatting any of my various cards in the desk top computer. Strange, but not been done.

@With The Birds, Have you seen this?
image.jpeg

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
I format mine in every device i have that i can fit one in, even using an adaptor when i have to.

I prefer formatting in the phantom though with the go app.... part of my pre flight routine. Only takes a few seconds.

Reactions: Numone
so... whats the deal you think?

Personally, I've had 4 64 gig cards that didn't work and one was a San Disk Ultra... So I have a bunch of 32 gig and a couple 16's that came with the birds. Then I have a 4gig that I use strictly for updates. Having had the problems with the 64's, I'm sticking with the smaller ones. You should test out the original 16gig first and make sure it works and then that will prove out another bad or not compatible card. I don't go over 32 gig but that's your choice. The problem with having a card that breaks during a run or an update is that the firmware can be corrupted and then you need to downgrade and re-update... Dealing and finding bad sd's is a pain so try the 16 and go from there :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj