satellites drop slightly when recording video - SOLVED

Re: satellites drop slightly when recording video

Does it effect the shielding in a negative way putting a layer of PVC-tape over the Alu-tape?

You can do that without any problem :D

I can confirm that it worked like a charm!!!

One thing to note is that DJI had already put some sort of isolation on the GPS. Grey tape, then copper, and then more grey tape.
However the cable was outside the isolation.

I did the mod with aluminum tape. Then put a layer of PVC tape on top too prevent short circuit.

The fit to get the top back on was a little tight, don´t really no how tight it´s suppose to be. I had to press it down a bit. Not much at all but it didn´t just sit on top of the bottom part so to speak. Is this normal? Or is my isolation to thick?

Took her up for a spin and it worked like a charm. Got more GPS satellites then ever. At one point I had 12 while recording. This have never happend, even when not recording.

Within 30-40 seconds after power up it got 9 locked GPS satellites and video recording didn´t effect the GPS at all.

Excellent!!

Attachments

• alu-shield.jpg
    alu-shield.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 559
  • PVC to prevent short.jpg
    PVC to prevent short.jpg
    737.7 KB · Views: 554

I thought you were supposed to run it out past the vents to cover the esc ?

Did it today , although i didn't noticed any difference.
Still too long to get 6/7 gps signals. Tomorrow i'll test it again.

Mori55 said:
I thought you were supposed to run it out past the vents to cover the esc ?

Yeah, I missed that.

Took another run at it, with even better results.
But i think the biggest difference is that now the center part has 2 extra layers.

Got 10 sats in the middle of Gothenburg City.
Solid as a rock recording or not recording!!

Awesome!!

Attachments

• image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    856.6 KB · Views: 474
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 552

Superb. Bring it on. I can't wait to do mine.

Here is my mod... I can say it has helped significantly. Aluminum tape with Mylar packing tape on top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 462

M.Tigelaar said:
I have tested it outside and there is no lost off satellites at all while recording :D
It works !!!

I think I searched all your posts on this subject and if I missed anything, sorry. but I wish you would post some actual data. Such as back in the beginning you would be seeing x number of sats, then when you used the camera the number of sats you could see dropped. Also when you turn off the camera recording your number of sats would jump. Also if you have it the data from after the mod.
Thanks for your help with real numbers. Also, if you notice a change when you are in the air or not in the air etc would be interesting.

Wedeliver said:
M.Tigelaar said:
I have tested it outside and there is no lost off satellites at all while recording :D
It works !!!

I think I searched all your posts on this subject and if I missed anything, sorry. but I wish you would post some actual data. Such as back in the beginning you would be seeing x number of sats, then when you used the camera the number of sats you could see dropped. Also when you turn off the camera recording your number of sats would jump. Also if you have it the data from after the mod.
Thanks for your help with real numbers. Also, if you notice a change when you are in the air or not in the air etc would be interesting.

Hi,

Here´s my data. Same spot same day about 40 minutes between mod and after mod.
Before the mod I would get 7-8 sats sitting on the ground. Hit record. That number dropped to 4-5. Tried it about ten times. Same result everytime.
Took her up in the air about 6-7 meters. 7-8 sats. GPS lock enabled. Hit record. Sats drop to the same number 4-5.

Did the mod. Found 9 sats on the ground. Hit record still 9 sats. Did this also about 10 times. Same result. No loss of sats.
Took her up to about the same hight maybe 9-10 meters. Sats jumped up to 11. Stayed there the whole flight. While recording.

Sorry I don´t have any screenshots, you´ll have to trust me :)

Wedeliver said:
M.Tigelaar said:
It works !!!

OK, you want proof. ;)
Then you will have to wait, because it rained all day here.
The wind is 50km/u, so I can not fly :roll:
Tomorrow and the rest of the week I spent 10 hours a day at work
Maybe someone who has done the mod also can make a movie. :)
Otherwise I will do it as soon as possible for you. :cool:
I can not do it now, because it's 23:21 here. :lol:

Wedeliver said:
M.Tigelaar said:
It works !!!

Here is my data, first pic is after one minute sat lock, second pic is exact same location one minute sat lock. The time between the two pics is the time it took me to install the shielding.
Besides this on start up, the sats remain locked while recording and rotating 360 degrees. Before the mod there was a drop off of 1-2 sats when performing these maneuvers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 508
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 527

gilmbento said:
Did it today , although i didn't noticed any difference.
Still too long to get 6/7 gps signals. Tomorrow i'll test it again.

Update!

Don't know what append on first test but in the second run, super fast to get home lock point (6 gps signals) on ground and as soon as i get it to 65 feet (20 meters), i was getting 10 / 11 gps signals!!!! Huge difference. In the same location at about 150 feet before the mod i was getting about 7 /8 max.
Very very nice improvement.

Thumbs up

Another testimonial. Before: 6 satellites after 90 seconds (I only have ~30% sky in the backyard). Video on and within 2 seconds sats dropped to 3-4. Thirty-five minutes later, after the upgrade w/ aluminum tape: 90 seconds and 6 satellites lock. Video on and not only did the 6 satellites remain, after about 10 more seconds I had 7 sats! This maybe the best nearly free upgrade yet. I predict that the number of "fly-aways" of quads with this upgrade will drop to near zero. (Lord, please make me right. Amen.)

I am going to try the mod with this SMC-GA-FL1730
Flair Aluclad 305 x 640mm (12" x 25") if not I will use the tape suggested here. At the moment I cannot get the last edge screw out of the phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik