San Francisco / Bay Area

Reaction score
Hey guys, I will be visiting the Bay Area (staying in Petaluma, visiting the city, Walnut Creek, etc.) and am contemplating bringing my drone (Phantom 3 Standard). I have been unsuccessful finding any in depth reports by other users about how good SF is for drone flying, other than a few articles that said it's TERRIBLE. I refuse to believe that, as I've also heard San Diego is one of the worst cities because of all our airports, but I've found several amazing areas that are legal to fly in. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Russian River is pretty close to Petaluma. Go further West to reach Hwy 1 but beautiful spots. Not much in Walnut Creek but you find beautiful hills around. You will find snow in Lake Tahoe.

Petaluma has a ton of open spaces to fly. +1 on the Russian River to Hwy 1 or go to Bodega Bay (closer). Do not fly in Walnut Creek.. it's wall to wall suburb out in that area.

Petaluma has a ton of open spaces to fly. +1 on the Russian River to Hwy 1 or go to Bodega Bay (closer). Do not fly in Walnut Creek.. it's wall to wall suburb out in that area.

Thanks Stile2112! I'll be in Petaluma quite a bit so it sounds like it will be worthwhile bringing my P3.

Treasure Island SF is always a blast to fly around

Treasure Island SF is always a blast to fly around

I hadn't thought of TI, figured it would be no-go airspace, but looks like it's clear on the AirMap (except for a temporary restriction through 1/9 for some event) thanks for mentioning it!

And to OP: I like flying in the Mt. Tam park areas and open spaces in Marin and Sonoma Counties - check the AirMap for clear airspace lots of cool outdoorsy places to cruise :)

Reactions: Bigdz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1