Samsung Note 8.0 running Jellybean WORKS with DJI App...Litchi..no.

Reaction score
Before I posted this thread, I wanted to do more than just bench test. I wanted to fly my P2V+ V3 using this Note 8.0 more than once so I could give a more concise and reliable report.

Litchi will NOT run on this Note 8.0. Just as the guy who developed the App told me. The Note 8.0 loads, it gives you an initial camera view and that's where it ends. NOT disappointed in the least because I asked the question upfront and was given an honest answer. He even offered to give me a refund. I declined since I plan on buying a different tablet at some point here soon.

The Note 8.0 simply doesn't have the CPU power needed for Litchi. However, for the bargain I got this Note 8.0 for, I'm at least happy to say it WILL run the basic DJI app.

However, since it isn't officially supported, it's not available to this platform in the Google Play store. I had to download the App directly from DJI's website to a MicroSD card and install it from there. Also, I had to run the app with the very minimum resolution and frame rate, 320x240 @ 15fps. Anything higher and the app crashed. Litchi, a MUCH more robust application, wouldn't work even at that resolution. Again, I was told it likely wouldn't So NO problem with Litchi!

I will say this. The Ground Station app WILL NOT run for long. The Note 8 battery overheats and the thing goes into protection mode shutdown making this Note 8 worthless until the battery cools off. Until then, about 20 minutes, you're on your own. When I started the Note 8.0 back up, the battery life was less than 20%. Not good. I did get about 450m of lateral reception out of the Note 8.0 while flying at 30m altitude the whole way. All controls worked just fine. I lost reception at roughly 500m distance. That could have been anything from my not keeping the WiFi booster oriented correctly on down to the Note 8.0 reception being weak. Still, both directions were better than I expected.

So the Note 8.0 WILL run the basic DJI Vision app. It will do so quite well. But that seems to be the very limit of its capabilities. I ran two P2V+ V3 batteries from 100% to 20% three times over and each time, still had a 75% battery life on the Note 8.0. Bigger screen made it easier to fly. But lack of CPU cycles makes it a minimum solution.

I should add more information to the equation. I was on flat ground, trees only to block my view and a minimum of radio interference. Once the WiFi connection started to break up, I flipped over to Course Lock and brought her right back. Slightly off course, but well within sight. About 10m off of the home lock position recorded upon start up.

I should add more information to the equation. I was on flat ground, trees only to block my view and a minimum of radio interference. Once the WiFi connection started to break up, I flipped over to Course Lock and brought her right back. Slightly off course, but well within sight. About 10m off of the home lock position recorded upon start up.

I had a similar experience with my Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10,1 LTE and Litchi app. It connected to the phantom wifi but the FPV picture was totaly pixelated and I only got the first frame, then it just froze.
I was not happy with the Samsung firmware anyway (all the bundled office apps you could't remove), so I rooted the tab and installed cyanogen mod lollipop (picassolte-cm-12.1). Now the litchi app works fine. :)

If you can find cyanogen mod to note 8.0 it might be worth trying....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31