Rules on abandoned mansions

Reaction score
I live closed to Elkins estate in Philadelphia. It’s an abandoned big mansion and it’s currently closed. What is the general rules in flying over abandoned properties in the Philadelphia / Elkins Park area? I am not sure if I can fly there because the mansion is located in a upscale area and these people are not to friendly when they see a drone around.

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules regarding that kind of thing. It's private property, right? Where are you going to launch from? Probably a public road. Then the unfriendly people will see you and hear you and call the cops. Next the cops show up and now you have to explain what you're doing, are you spying? ...yada yada yada. Is it worth the hassle?

I think I'd find a different place to fly. MHO

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
Flying in that area is just looking for trouble, IMO. Might be interesting, but the hassle may not be worth it. And if your Phantom happens to go down on the property, you will have to trespass to get it. I'm guessing the property is fenced.

I'd fly it, but that's me. Why not look up who is in charge of the property, like a bank or real estate company and make some calls. I'm sure it's not just "Abandoned" with no one having an interest in it. If you could get a hold of someone in charge and say you'd love to just film it, you may get an ok. Then you go fly it and any snotty neighbors give you grief, you throw your "OK" in their faces...

Right... you do realize the Phantom has a great range.....You don't even have to be in the area.... (Radio static).

Yeah, and I'd also do the flight from a mile away, so nobody will see YOU flying the DRONE. Be careful. Don't crash on the property what ever you do. A mansion might trend to have a lot of property. Approach high, drop down to filming altitude right overhead, depart high. Use minimum power levels to keep noise down. Noticing you would hard.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Thank you for the info guys, I decided just to avoid it. I only have a standard and as you guys know, does not have the best range. I will skip this. I really love to do it because it is a historic and interesting mansion.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you for the info guys, I decided just to avoid it. I only have a standard and as you guys know, does not have the best range. I will skip this. I really love to do it because it is a historic and interesting mansion.
If you are concerned with range, what then will it hurt to ask? A "no" is only as big as the mouth that says it......

Honestly, I only ask 25% of the time, and then after I've already flown it... (Makes for a great "I don't need no stinking badges" line)...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl