RTH question / discussion

I am planning a trip to Utah's Canyonlands where I will be flying a P4P to the limits of the drone's reception, and I expect to lose contact. Also, it is likely that the P4P might not be totally viewable due to turns in the canyon. If this happens and you lose drone communication wherein you HOPE the RTH has automatically triggered but you are not sure, (no controller confirmation) should you try pressing the RTH button OR if RTH had been triggered by loss of contact, would that CANCEL the RTH function if and when communication were reestablished?
Thanks for your thoughts.
---Skydriver
View attachment 114503
Look into Litchi!! Plan a mission and let it fly. Then you will get the footage you want, don't have to worry about signal loss!! Badass app/program!!

Yes, that was my point. You must be patient because if you immediately initiate a RTH action, you may be doing it just when the drone is regaining contact, and therefore you have cancelled the RTH. I confess that when I was new to this skill, I did just that. It is good to know all the cues (like beeping) to understand what is happening and act accordingly. Thanks for your comment.

This is why I use Litchi Missions. Signal was lost 3:20 min into the flight and was restored at 12:25 returning home.

Last edited:
This is why I use Litchi Missions. Signal was lost 3:20 min into the flight and was restored at 12:25 returning home.
Infamous gimbal twitch at 7:30. Well done! Perfect application for Litchi's LSMC!

Does anyone have any idea why the gimbal twitch?
The gimbal hits the stop and bounces off of it. Only happens when the tilt angle of the drone is excessive, while fighting a high cross wind and when flying sideways at high speed against the wind. Mine only did it in a sharp turn in one direction. Some gimbals were more prone to it than others. Annoying, as it ruins the video clip, forcing an edit, and the resulting jump cut is always noticeable. Fortunately, I haven't seen it on the M2. Was this a P4 or P4P?

I am planning a trip to Utah's Canyonlands where I will be flying a P4P to the limits of the drone's reception, and I expect to lose contact. Also, it is likely that the P4P might not be totally viewable due to turns in the canyon. If this happens and you lose drone communication wherein you HOPE the RTH has automatically triggered but you are not sure, (no controller confirmation) should you try pressing the RTH button OR if RTH had been triggered by loss of contact, would that CANCEL the RTH function if and when communication were reestablished?
Thanks for your thoughts.
---Skydriver
View attachment 114503

Canyonlands is a National Park, so no flying from within the Park boundaries. However, there are plenty of beautiful places to fly canyons of the Green and Colorado rivers in the Moab/Green River areas. Also recommend stopping at Mexican Hat rock if you're passing through that area.

There are some places to fly outside of the National Park. West side is Mineral Bottom and the east side has a dirt road to Moab. The Needle District and Maze District are so big, you can't really fly in those areas.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik