Rotorpixel gimbal for Phantom Vision

Geert said:
No jello in this video.
Also a good way to test is to make some speed during the flight, horizontal speed. If no jello during a speedy flight then you are well fine tuned.

Nice pool too.

:lol:

Geert.

Thanks Geert.....I'll try the high speed test to see if it is still jello-free.

Thanks also for the pool compliment.....I am having a new liner installed and between the P2V/RPG for aerial video and my DSLR in time lapse mode, I am assembling a video of the pool being drained, the old liner being removed, the new liner being installed, and the pool filled. The RPG makes the video so stable.......I will combine the sequencing in Pinnacle 16 with music to provide a thematic soundtrack.

Well, I spent a bit of time this afternoon trying to make extensions for my P2V landing gear to have the RPG clear the ground.....the following is what I came up with shamelessly basing the clips on another poster's idea and pictures.

They are easy to attach and take off since I have a GoProfessional case for my P2V. The tension on the existing landing skid is good as the plastic circle is somewhat rigid.

Attachments

• IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 387
Gotcher6 said:
Those round clips look pretty sharp. Is that PVC ?

I think it is PVC.....it is a piece of white plastic pipe my pool service company had sitting poolside after putting in my new pool liner and doing some repairs. I asked the service technician if he needed it and he said I could have it......it measures 1 7/8" O/D and 1 5/8" I/D....I cut 1/4" sections off on my radial arm saw and cut a slice through the circle on my band saw to spread the ring to insert into the inside groove on the landing skids.....the outside of the landing skids is not grooved but the ring is rigid enough it stays in place and does not slip off since it cannot compress smaller than its original diameter.

However, I cannot take credit for it as I saw someone else's post about this solution to raising the P2V landing skids to keep the RPG clear of the ground, even when pointed straight down.

what's your average flight time now with the Rotorpixel on? Did you "feel" that your flight times became shorter even without actually measuring the minutes?

I have the same experience as Geert. 17 minutes without an issue and landing around 19-21% battery left. The aircraft "feels" heavier in that there is a bit more inertia when changing directions, especially during higher speed runs, but once you're used to that you just compensate with a bit more control input. There is also (on mine anyway) a noticeable difference in the noise the props make in a hover, as of course they are having to turn a bit faster with the RP attached than before.

For comparison, with my P2 with h3-3d, Gopro, AVL58 video tx, and iOSD mk2 all fitted I get about 15 minutes taking the battery down to the same level. That rig weighs less than my RP equipped Vision, but draws more current so it's less energy efficient. The RP seems to sip electricity compared to some other set-ups.

Was wondering if anyone knew what the life expectancy of the phantoms motors is, especially with the added weight of the gimbal ??

Anyone know the size of bearings on the motors?
Replacing them would probably be the more affordable way....

pyrophantom said:
Was wondering if anyone knew what the life expectancy of the phantoms motors is, especially with the added weight of the gimbal ??

brushlesheaven said:

At the risk of extending the off-topic discussion you can buy replacement bearing kits to include e-clips and thrust washers, but the bearings themselves are 3x8x4 (aka 693ZZ).

Here's my latest video taking advantage of the new Rotorpixel gimbal. I don't think I would have gotten anything usable if I had flown with the original P2V gimbal.

I took my Vision to the local schoolyard last Friday afternoon to capture the launch of a Delta IV rocket from Cape Canaveral (about 35 miles away).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQS3of2x9MI[/youtube]

I was able to clean up the slight yaw movements using Adobe Premiere's Warp Stabilizer effect so it almost looks like it was shot with a really tall crane.

I'm convinced that upgrading to the Rotorpixel gimbal was a very good choice!

-- Roger

Simon,
I ask this question having in mind Rotorpixel weight being added to the bearings workload...
Thanks for the info on the size...
Robert

Pull_Up said:
brushlesheaven said:

At the risk of extending the off-topic discussion you can buy replacement bearing kits to include e-clips and thrust washers, but the bearings themselves are 3x8x4 (aka 693ZZ).

Hmmm... xxxxx661 on May 10th xxxxx675 on May 17th... Hardly the 100 a week they have been pro-porting for a while but at least the queue is still moving. Just my luck though as I'm xxxxx677 and still waiting! lol

Can anyone in the UK tell me which postal service handles delivery once received in the UK and the lead time for delivery once the parcel has landed in the country?

I was so happy to get the shipping notification, but getting a little anxious about delivery, I paid $50 for delivery on the Rotorpixel site when I ordered.

I look forward to any replies

Thank You

You and me both, my shipping shows arrived in the Uk 15th then nothing cannot track it on either post office track & trace systems

:eek:

skyviewpix said:
Can anyone in the UK tell me which postal service handles delivery once received in the UK and the lead time for delivery once the parcel has landed in the country?

I was so happy to get the shipping notification, but getting a little anxious about delivery, I paid $50 for delivery on the Rotorpixel site when I ordered.

I look forward to any replies

Thank You

It's Parcelforce. The Canada Post tracking number works on Parcelforce track-and-trace once the package hits the UK. Mine spent 4 days in customs when it landed before it cleared out the other end, then it's held at your local Parcelforce depot because they write to you to advise of the charges you have to pay before it's delivered. I could see on the tracking that it hit my depot so went down there, paid up and took the parcel home myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing