Roof inspections

If you don't have a Part 107 license you have no business using your drone for commercial use...period. You will be reported...and you should be reported. I have no problem with hobbyists flying their drones for fun as long as they follow airspace regs and don't do things that reflect badly on drone users in general. But when you go to the effort to study and pass the Part 107 and get costly insurance and then provide a professional service to the public which takes a lot of investment, work and commitment...I do take offense to guys that use their drone commercially without any investment or commitment. Easy enough to go onto FAA site and confirm if someone carries a license. I WILL REPORT THEM to the FAA and I don't hesitate to tell them so. Just like an unlicensed electrician or dentist trying to make a few bucks cause he knows a little about the trade...doesn't mean he is doing it safely and that it won't end up hurting someone. Get licensed or don't go commercial...it's as simple as that. Don't do this is my area...all of OHIO...or I will proudly turn you into the FAA.

I know a couple of "flyers" doing work for cash, the underground economy now flies!
My issue, & why I;m saying no to cash work & believe me there is lots of this type of work out there, is- What if I have an accident, hit something or somone?
Suddenly, the spot light is on me & then I;m in the world of lawyers, lawsuits, etc.
I have flown for a real estate co. that wanted shots of their parcel of land, before & after type stuff, I did a before, no charge, but, I stopped because of the above, one accident that involves more than just me & my bird, & all hell could break loose.

Reactions: JWH
To get some experience and some 'portfolio" material, you might want to look into some of the many "middleman" comnpanies popping up.
DroneBase - DJI has invested in them, basically pana missions are spec work, if you get paid great, otherwise consider these non-client missions practice. (website not IE friendly)
Better View - they do roof inspections, once they accept your sample mission, you only go out on actual jobs that they book.

I have all the credentials to make everything legal. My weakness is marketing. Short of going door to door or cold calling, how do you attract business?
JWH, looks like we're in the same boat, and part of a huge wave of Part 107 certificated operators looking for work.

i have done 2 DroneBase missions (no pay out yet) and just signed up for Better View.

One of my problems is I work full time so my window of flying is very limited. My weakness is also marketing.
hopefully I can overcome both of them quickly

Reactions: Nu2dron
Watch the HGTV channel in the US and you will see drone video in just about every show on the network. I actually know a few of the guys who are doing it for them and they have no FAA permit.

They better hope that they never have an accident or that the FAA doesn't catch wind. They have gone back after people violating part 107 and safe flying procedures. Very stiff fines have also been slapped on operators. If you feel the need to add to the negative public perceptions then go ahead and fly irresponsibly. In the very near future there will no longer be the ability to fly as a hobbyist. Too many people with no idea or concern on how to fly safely and responsibly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You know what is really stupid about all of this? You can get part 107 certified for as little as $250 out the door. You can get insurance for your commercial jobs for as little as $10 an hour for $1 million in liability. Only insure while it's in the air. Why would you want to be sketchy? Who do you think a business is more apt to hire. The FAA licensed and insured pilot or little Johnny hobby flyer?

Reactions: JWH
You know what is really stupid about all of this? You can get part 107 certified for as little as $250 out the door. You can get insurance for your commercial jobs for as little as $10 an hour for $1 million in liability. Only insure while it's in the air. Why would you want to be sketchy? Who do you think a business is more apt to hire. The FAA licensed and insured pilot or little Johnny hobby flyer?

If you have a pilot certificate it is a 5 dollar online course to get the 107 added on. I did it in a little over 2 hours one morning. Otherwise you need to take the course you mentioned. It is well worth the time to learn the airspaces and stay out of trouble. The rules make more sense when you understand why they are there.

I wish that people would be more careful about following the rules and being safe. It will be bad if the FAA is pushed to implementing even more regulations. They don't do anything in moderation.

Reactions: PageSide
I shot a mission for better view. The interview mission. It appears they have been offline for 7 weeks according to the chat bots.
No word back yet

If you have a pilot certificate it is a 5 dollar online course to get the 107 added on. I did it in a little over 2 hours one morning. Otherwise you need to take the course you mentioned. It is well worth the time to learn the airspaces and stay out of trouble. The rules make more sense when you understand why they are there.

I wish that people would be more careful about following the rules and being safe. It will be bad if the FAA is pushed to implementing even more regulations. They don't do anything in moderation.
There isn't any charge to take the online review and test that current pilots can use to get their Part 107 certificate. (At least there wasn't when I took it back in August). Only cost that you might incur is what ever the CFI or FSDO charges to review your paperwork and sign off on your application (you did finish up the process didn't you?). You don't add Part 107 to your Part 61 certificate, the FAA will issue a new, separate Part 107 Cert after all the paperwork has been entered and reviewed.

There isn't any charge to take the online review and test that current pilots can use to get their Part 107 certificate. (At least there wasn't when I took it back in August). Only cost that you might incur is what ever the CFI or FSDO charges to review your paperwork and sign off on your application (you did finish up the process didn't you?). You don't add Part 107 to your Part 61 certificate, the FAA will issue a new, separate Part 107 Cert after all the paperwork has been entered and reviewed.

I had to enter my Part 61 certificate number and a credit card number into the FAA web site to take the course and test. I was billed $5 by the FAA according to the statement.

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Aeronautical Knowledge Testing/Remote Pilot Certification
  1. I already have a pilot certificate issued under part 61. Do I need to obtain a remote pilot certificate to fly a UAS under the Small UAS Rule (Part 107)?
    Yes. To act as a remote pilot in command under Part 107, a person must have a remote pilot certificate. However, part 61 pilot certificate holders who have completed a flight review within the past 24 months may elect to take an online training course focusing on UAS-specific areas of knowledge instead of the aeronautical knowledge test. The online training for current pilot certificate holders is available at www.faasafety.gov. All other members of the public must take and pass the initial aeronautical knowledge test to obtain a remote pilot certificate.

I had to enter my Part 61 certificate number and a credit card number into the FAA web site to take the course and test. I was billed $5 by the FAA according to the statement.
That's changed since I took mine in August 2016 then. It was FREE and I don't recall entering my Part 61 credentials into it either. I know several non-Part61 holders who took it as a sample test only.

I guess they must have decided to make $5 more here and there.

I shot a mission for better view. The interview mission. It appears they have been offline for 7 weeks according to the chat bots.
No word back yet
I can't even upload my sample mission photos. Their Box.com mailbox is apparently over its limit. I can't even upload one single image without it saying its out of space. I messaged Prasannakumar Ghadage, who is the person that sent me the emails when I signed up. He responded right away on the messenger on their site. He said give him a day and then try and upload again. I'm assuming they are backed up......

Look at most of the shows in discovery channel and they use LOTS of footage thats taken with drones.

both the Gold rushs shows.
then one were they build the way crazy over priced tree house
the ledgond of Nic Dodge
myth busters
most all them survival shows

they all use them.
They better have a part 107 License! If something goes wrong and they destroy property or hurt someone they will land in jail. the FAA does not mess around. I've been a Pilot since 1987. They are very nice and helpful and won't nail you for honest mistakes, but someone flying for a major TV channel we'll let's say they are in the make an example mode. They are even after a guy on youtube making money off his drone videos. Theya

We read that Dallas, Airport in Texas is experimenting with drone sensing technology. They won't say what radius or height. Some wiz kids got a huge grant to test out how to detect drones. As has been said - an accident opens any user whether hobbyist and especially 107 Pilot to exposure. Pilots with insurance will tend to attract lawyers and bigger claims I'm afraid - nature of the money beast, but worth the cost of insurance! To qualify to get liability insurance many companies require 50-100 logged hours to get reasonable rates. I joined an AMA club (actually rejoined as I fly fixed wing R/C) to fly in safety to get the hours and experience.

i have done 2 DroneBase missions (no pay out yet) and just signed up for Better View.

One of my problems is I work full time so my window of flying is very limited. My weakness is also marketing.
hopefully I can overcome both of them quickly

Although new to the hobby of flying quad-copters, As an engineer, qualified in three disciplines, sold my own processes, and run a successful group of of my own companies for more than forty years; I can almost certainly help you on the marketing side of things. My advice only involves the first step towards commencing your new venture. "Lose the photographic image which accompanies your name". You must first give the impression of technical competence and first impressions count for a lot in marketing. Now if I was looking for a hit-man.....; but as the renowned Chinese chef said "we are now flying over an entirely differlent pan." or should it be pun?

Reactions: jvmoore1
I have all the credentials to make everything legal. My weakness is marketing. Short of going door to door or cold calling, how do you attract business?

The problem I've found isn't that I can't find business ... I can't find businesses willing to pay.

"Hey, we'd love for you to come do an inspection for us."

"Sure, flights start at $125. Let's talk about your job."

"Well, my neighbor's kid has a drone and will do it for 25 bucks."

"Is he FAA certified, insured, have a business license, pay business taxes?"

"No ... I guess that's why he's cheaper."

They don't care that it's illegal ... they just know that they can buy the kid lunch or hand him a $20 and he'll fly for them.

The problem I've found isn't that I can't find business ... I can't find businesses willing to pay.

"Hey, we'd love for you to come do an inspection for us."

"Sure, flights start at $125. Let's talk about your job."

"Well, my neighbor's kid has a drone and will do it for 25 bucks."

"Is he FAA certified, insured, have a business license, pay business taxes?"

"No ... I guess that's why he's cheaper."

They don't care that it's illegal ... they just know that they can buy the kid lunch or hand him a $20 and he'll fly for them.

You've got to prove to them you can do something he can't. It's your job to add VALUE to the product and honestly there isn't a lot of creative flexibility in Roof Aerials. It is what it is.

Just don't make this your foundation for a new business or it may fail right out of the gate.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20