Roof inspections

Reaction score
http://event.dji.com/dji-stories/conten ... 622f944711

Found this video in an email from DJI.
Could be a good business for someone to get into.
This video shows a pilot inspecting a farmers barn roof looking for cracked tiles.
Then once he was impressed, suggested that a local monastery could also use the bird.
That, got him other monasteries to check out.

A sample of an old tradition giving way to modern technology.

Reactions: D Blue
Yet, where there is no harm there really is no harm.

This whole forbidden by the FAA thing is becoming a joke. A "rule" that (as indicated by the "rule maker") is going away. It is being followed by some but not by others (openly). My local small town puts out a "news" piece every so often with parts done with a drone. Is this not a commercial use?
Here is their channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Calabasas3
By the way, I just did a video of the same area and had a very similar shot to the one they use on that page - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKU7EOqwbQM

we pay £2,500 to get a bloke in to inspect our warehouse roof. They have asked if i could bring in my Phantom to see how it does with the intention of buying there own (hopefully i'd get to fly it)

we also have a security division, who have featured a drone to patrol the grounds while the operator/guard is safely locked in the gatehouse

Watch the HGTV channel in the US and you will see drone video in just about every show on the network. I actually know a few of the guys who are doing it for them and they have no FAA permit.

Reactions: 180 Productions
Look at most of the shows in discovery channel and they use LOTS of footage thats taken with drones.

both the Gold rushs shows.
then one were they build the way crazy over priced tree house
the ledgond of Nic Dodge
myth busters
most all them survival shows

they all use them.

Reactions: Squirrel!
In the most basic way It's like all things, throw something silly up on youtube, get noticed, the powers then are forced into a situation that they think fulfills the public's wishes showing they are being studious.

Don't get noticed is the trick then no one is forced into a position.

Life is easy :) people are tricky.

I live in a local municipality in the Phoenix metro area. One department uses a drone under a "government use permit". So they claim. I have been looking at the FAA Part 107 ruling and don't see anything allowing government to use a drone for promotional footage, but whatever.

Reactions: 180 Productions
Paragraph 4.1 specifically states tha it does not apply to "public" (read government) aircraft operations. They supposedly have their own procedures and rules that were not changed by 107.

Paragraph 4.1 specifically states tha it does not apply to "public" (read government) aircraft operations. They supposedly have their own procedures and rules that were not changed by 107.
They are supposed to be operating under a COA (certificate of waiver or authorization). If they are a local government department, you as a citizen should be able to ask to see and be shown their COA. IF THEY REALLY DONT HAVE ONE, your tax money is at risk if the FAA steps in!

I use them for my roof inspections for hail damage and to measure steep hard to get to roofs. We promote on Facebook with job pics. I do not have a 107 or anything. I will continue doing what I do till threatened with violence at gun point. If you are not for yourself who will be?

No drone police here! But sounds like a lot of public exposure for an unlicensed activity. If/when the FAA or any other agency steps in, you've given them plenty of rope to hang you with. And since you brought up Part 107, can't claim ignorance, just willfull action. Hard to justify the risk.

Some study and 150.00 verses getting busted an 10,000 fines.... I hate math but can figure this out.
Sure you can do it, but when, not if you are confronted with no credentials how will you spin that?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: JWH and BigAl07
I use them for my roof inspections for hail damage and to measure steep hard to get to roofs. We promote on Facebook with job pics. I do not have a 107 or anything. I will continue doing what I do till threatened with violence at gun point. If you are not for yourself who will be?

I don't know about gun point but I'd be willing to bet that when you get a competitor in town and they see what you're doing they are going to report you. You'll get a phone call from the FAA and if you don't have the credentials you'll get an "Information Packet" and a stern talking to. Do it again you'll get some more strict "information/instruction" and more harsh talk. Third time you'll get fines levied against you and possible criminal charges. Thus far I've not heard of much more than the first couple of phone calls and registered letters.

Reactions: JWH
I have all the credentials to make everything legal. My weakness is marketing. Short of going door to door or cold calling, how do you attract business?

Reactions: jayclem and D Blue
JWH, looks like we're in the same boat, and part of a huge wave of Part 107 certificated operators looking for work. Drones are cheaper, easier to use, and higher quality than ever, so I think we startups with no sales and marketing background will have our work cut out for us. For myself, I am looking for niches where high skill or expensive equipment is needed that would make businesses more open to hiring the drone work rather than doing it themselves or getting a jack-of-all-trades drone pilot. At least that's my thought at this point, but I may change my plan if I don't find any cheese down that hole.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: D Blue and JWH
I have all the credentials to make everything legal. My weakness is marketing. Short of going door to door or cold calling, how do you attract business?
I did an aerial shoot a few meters up from a distance of a church's fund raising event last week, showing a bunch of outdoor tents, a pony ride, people visiting, selling their wares, etc., and the church beyond that. It was very simple and just an HD photo with my cheap Hubsan. The pastor LOVED the image when I put it on the church's Facebook event page and told me he would put me to work in the future. Maybe a bit of speculative shooting like that is good? I am studying for the 107 test to take within the year and in no hurry so I am waiting till I decide exactly which professional type drone to get...maybe let some bugs get ironed out of the Mavic and let it get improved first?.... Maybe joining forces with other like-minded pilots in the area could be beneficial too...putting some versatile heads together to create a local business is what I want to do eventually. It is such a new field, or to some an "art" or "craft" or "science" or all of those. I would definitely create a business Facebook page and will at least when I get my business going.

Reactions: JWH

And as soon as someone realizes you are opening them up to law suit because of an accident or injury and the pilot was not certified to fly commercially then you might feel differently. Even a mediocre attorney for the other party could turn this around on you in a heart beat.

"Mr. Nelson are you aware of FAA ruling 107 requiring ..."
"Do you hold a valid Remote Pilot's License ?"
"Mr. Nelson can you please tell the jury the definition of Class D air space?"
"I am going to show you a FAA Sectional Chart where your aircraft injured Mr. Jones, can you please tell the jury what this symbol indicates ?"

Anyone can be sued for any reason and a 107 RP license does not prevent that. But, I guarantee you any ambulance chasing or insurance company lawyer will shift the blame to the most vulnerable party. All they need to do is show Negligence or Incompetence and they will hang an accident around your neck so fast.

And as soon as someone realizes you are opening them up to law suit because of an accident or injury and the pilot was not certified to fly commercially then you might feel differently. Even a mediocre attorney for the other party could turn this around on you in a heart beat.

"Mr. Nelson are you aware of FAA ruling 107 requiring ..."
"Do you hold a valid Remote Pilot's License ?"
"Mr. Nelson can you please tell the jury the definition of Class D air space?"
"I am going to show you a FAA Sectional Chart where your aircraft injured Mr. Jones, can you please tell the jury what this symbol indicates ?"

Anyone can be sued for any reason and a 107 RP license does not prevent that. But, I guarantee you any ambulance chasing or insurance company lawyer will shift the blame to the most vulnerable party. All they need to do is show Negligence or Incompetence and they will hang an accident around your neck so fast.
Completely agree with your assessment. Just having a license is still not enough protection. I carry $3 million in general liability insurance just for this reason. I often fly and film over areas with FAA approval that involve property overflights of commercial and residential structures and have never had an accident but drones as we read in these posts can be unpredictable or an interference may develop that creates a "loss of control" situation to occur. Better have your insurance in place if damage occurs or if any person or animal is injured as a result. AND better have the FAA preflight approval or this can become a criminal case as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj