Road Trip to Canadian Rockies, Brought drone but didn't use it :-(

Reaction score
Just got back from a 5 week road trip with family out to the Canadian Rockies from my home in Ontario. We visited many National Parks to celebrate Canada's 150th and take advantage of the free park access. Brought my P3S out intending to use it to take some photos in the National Parks we visited but never took it out of its case. There were so many beautiful areas that would have made great aerial shots, but in every national park and even provincial parks there where signs clearly stating no drones allowed (picture of drone inside a circle with a line through it). In one park there was even a sign saying that anyone who broke the law could be fined up to $25,000. Ouch! Not worth the risk so drone stayed in case and I just used my DSLRs instead.

I completely understand in parks like Banff where there are throngs of visitors at every scenic place, but in other parks there was barely anyone in some of the less famous areas and I was tempted to take out my drone but in the end didn't. There is so much bad press about drones right now and its a touchy subject with the new restrictions in Canada that I didn't want to risk it. Anyway I was happy with the shots I got with my DSLR.

Reactions: Aerial Imaging
Drones have been banned in national parks for sometime now. Well before the new federal regulation came in this year. I believe the restriction has/had a loophole, however. You can not launch a drone from within the park boundaries but if you launch outside the boundaries you can fly over park territory. Good luck finding the boundaries. Hopefully these are not too far from the locations inside the park you would like shoot pics/video. ;)

Thanks for your reply. I am back home from the trip so won't have the opportunity to check if its ok from outside boundary. Don't think I would anyway. I enjoyed the parks just as much and got some good photos with my DSLRs (from the ground).

When we were in Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta I considered flying into the badlands from outside but upon reading about the many rare and fragile plants and animals in the park I decided against it. I feel fortunate that we have so many beautiful parks to enjoy that I would not ever want to risk disturbing the wildlife and enjoyment of the park by others with my drone just to get a shot.

Last year we visited Fundy National park and did not see a single no drone sign at any of the sights in the park. I wonder if that has changed since the new legislation.

Since getting my first drone last summer, I do feel more restricted to fly my P3S. Used to fly in the park down the street but ever since a lady commented this summer that it sounded like a gigantic mosquito I haven't flown there. Also in the same park some neighbourhood kids reminded me that there are new regulations for drones.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj