Ribblehead Viaduct, England UK

Hi Ty, Some lovely shots from a wonderful scenic area. Well done and thank you for sharing what will probably be the most beautiful thing I see today.

For maximum impact, and to grab your audience immediately, I would suggest cutting off the first 1 minute or more. Then you will start with the shot of the dark clouds over the hill and the pan round to reveal the viaduct in the distance. Nobody will turn off and they will be hooked waiting for more shots of the viaduct. I give this advice but I recognise that I myself always struggle to cut out shots. Somehow it is hard to 'sacrifice' some shots but when I do manage to overcome this hoarding urge to save scenes and instead cut aggressively I am always happy with the result.

I thought that the shot where you flew low over the rocky outcrop and then the viaduct rose up in the distance was brilliant. I think that I would probably have opened the video using that shot.

Please share more of your work.

All the best, Martin

Greetings, Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Tydrones
White scar cave a little further down the road. Also Ingleton near by. Great area for walking with the 3 peak trail too.

Beautiful work; nice music; kept your viewer wondering in a positive way. Thanks for sharing. One stupid question.... what was the attraction for all the cars parked on the highway? Were they walking to the viaduct or some other attraction? Again, thanks.

Hi, thank you

One of the reasons might be that they are using it as base for completing the Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge. Also, I noticed there were a lot of classic VW cars lined up on that day.

Thanks again :)

Hi Ty, Some lovely shots from a wonderful scenic area. Well done and thank you for sharing what will probably be the most beautiful thing I see today.

For maximum impact, and to grab your audience immediately, I would suggest cutting off the first 1 minute or more. Then you will start with the shot of the dark clouds over the hill and the pan round to reveal the viaduct in the distance. Nobody will turn off and they will be hooked waiting for more shots of the viaduct. I give this advice but I recognise that I myself always struggle to cut out shots. Somehow it is hard to 'sacrifice' some shots but when I do manage to overcome this hoarding urge to save scenes and instead cut aggressively I am always happy with the result.

I thought that the shot where you flew low over the rocky outcrop and then the viaduct rose up in the distance was brilliant. I think that I would probably have opened the video using that shot.

All the best, Martin

Thanks Martin

I really appreciate your feed back :) I still have many hours of footage from that day to edit, also on that day i was at the Lake Windermere so that is probably my next project to edit :)

All the best, Martin

I guess it all depends on the viewers perspective.

I really liked the slow lead-in, as it allows me (the viewer) to grasp the scale of the landscape and to anticipate the overlook that we will surely be shown. When it all starts, we are not sure what everything we are seeing is, whether a small hill shot close, or a large vista. The tiny speck is slowly revealed to be a walking human, and the whole landscape transforms in our mind from the plain ol' grassy hill we thought we were looking at, into the huge vista with the trestle in the background.

If your only goal is to create clickbait, then a closeup of the trestle might even be better than the sweep over the rocks, which I thought was well done also.

I'd have liked to see a bit more of the arches and footings of the bridge, however. Maybe even a fly-under that followed the footpath, leading into the flyover.

I guess it all depends on the viewers perspective.

I really liked the slow lead-in, as it allows me (the viewer) to grasp the scale of the landscape and to anticipate the overlook that we will surely be shown. When it all starts, we are not sure what everything we are seeing is, whether a small hill shot close, or a large vista. The tiny speck is slowly revealed to be a walking human, and the whole landscape transforms in our mind from the plain ol' grassy hill we thought we were looking at, into the huge vista with the trestle in the background.

If your only goal is to create clickbait, then a closeup of the trestle might even be better than the sweep over the rocks, which I thought was well done also.

I'd have liked to see a bit more of the arches and footings of the bridge, however. Maybe even a fly-under that followed the footpath, leading into the flyover.
lol yeah, but the real question is.. if it wasn't for the music would you still enjoy the footage?

lol yeah, but the real question is.. if it wasn't for the music would you still enjoy the footage?

Yup. I usually turn the sound off, as I don't generally equate drone flight with music and I often watch these videos while I'm at work. ?

I don't care for most people's music anyway. Every now and then, I get one I like. Usually not. I'm kinda fussy that way.

Last edited:
Ok. I went back and discovered that I never played the music. While the music did kind of drone on a bit, I didn't really feel that it enhanced my viewing of the video. For me, either the music enhances my view of the video, or it distracts from it. In this case, I didn't feel the enhancement.

I think my preference would have been to have some fipple flute, fiddle, & bagpipe music. Something native to the area and going back to perhaps the time when the bridge was built. (1870's)

Searching those terms, however, I could only come up with Scottish or Irish tunes, as they seem to be a more practiced art than old
English tunes.

So much music to consider! So many places to fly over, so many different viewers with their myriad preferences. The combinations are endless pretty much infinite. Nobody's right or wrong, here, either.

Some history of the area & structure:

Last edited:
Ok. I went back and discovered that I never played the music. While the music did kind of drone on a bit, I didn't really feel that it enhanced my viewing of the video. For me, either the music enhances my view of the video, or it distracts from it. In this case, I didn't feel the enhancement.

I think my preference would have been to have some fipple flute, fiddle, & bagpipe music. Something native to the area and going back to perhaps the time when the bridge was built. (1870's)

Searching those terms, however, I could only come up with Scottish or Irish tunes, as they seem to be a more practiced art than old
English tunes.

So much music to consider! So many places to fly over, so many different viewers with their myriad preferences. The combinations are endless pretty much infinite. Nobody's right or wrong, here, either.

Some history of the area & structure:
Very True!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31