Return to Home operation

Reaction score
So now that you can enable Return to Home as a mode on the transmitter, I'm wondering if anyone has actually tested the mode by enabling it and then disabling it?

This seems like it would be useful for the scenario where you get confused or disoriented and want a 1-button emergency switch to get things back under control, but you don't want it to go through a full auto landing.

People have tested it out and found it works just as expected.

Ideally you'd want to first use IOC Home Lock to get out of orientation confusion issues,. but RTH is a great feature when panic sets in.

rumitcu said:
So now that you can enable Return to Home as a mode on the transmitter, I'm wondering if anyone has actually tested the mode by enabling it and then disabling it?

This seems like it would be useful for the scenario where you get confused or disoriented and want a 1-button emergency switch to get things back under control, but you don't want it to go through a full auto landing.

I did it. Activated RTH and when comming near switched to ATTI and regain control easily. Perfect :p

Before the firmware upgrade, I flew away from me about 150 yards, switched off my transmitter, and let my Phantom come back and land. It worked perfectly and made a nice landing and shut itself off at my feet.

What I'm wondering is now with the new firmware does it work the same? Guys talk about "activating RTH with the switch"... are we talking about one of the mode switches, or the transmitter power switch? I've enabled RTH via the NAZA software.

Thanks in advance,

Curt

Curtster said:
Before the firmware upgrade, I flew away from me about 150 yards, switched off my transmitter, and let my Phantom come back and land. It worked perfectly and made a nice landing and shut itself off at my feet.

What I'm wondering is now with the new firmware does it work the same? Guys talk about "activating RTH with the switch"... are we talking about one of the mode switches, or the transmitter power switch? I've enabled RTH via the NAZA software.

Thanks in advance,

Curt

yes Curt, the new firmware works exactly the same as the older firmware if you turn off the transmitter.

but now they've ALSO provided the ability to do so without having to turn off the transmitter at all.
in the NAZA assistant there used to be a pulldown so that you could enable manual mode, in the S1 switch , well now you can enable RTH in that pulldown as well.
so instead of having GPS/ATTI/ATTI, it'll then be GPS/ATTI/RTH

Thanks Gizmo! The RTH feature is truly amazing, and could save your bacon (and your Phantom) if you lose orientation/sight.

On another thread, someone mentioned that if you get too far away and lose orientation, to go into HL mode, and pull the right stick back.. it will come back to you. Does that sound right? I need to play with the other modes more so I can learn to trust them.

Thanks again,

Curt

Curtster said:
On another thread, someone mentioned that if you get too far away and lose orientation, to go into HL mode, and pull the right stick back.. it will come back to you. Does that sound right? I need to play with the other modes more so I can learn to trust them.

that is correct, using HL (which you need to enable IOC in the Naza assistant to do so), is the first thing you should do if for any reason you lose orientation and can't tell what direction your Phantom is facing. Just pull back on the stick and the Phantom will come flying back in your direction, yet you'll still have control over throttle and yaw.

RTH is great, but most feel it should on be used as a last resort.
plus it can be a tad bit dicey when it tries to land itself, especially if your home location is on uneven ground or has trees very close by.
then you'll probably want to carefully switch to ATTI while making sure your throttle is at 50% to make a manual landing or hand grab.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31