Return to Home... do you trust it?

RTH.... Another reason that I think we enjoy it so much is because we're amazed at the autonomous nature of the thing being able to use it's computers and satellite guidance to figure it's way home. Pretty cool huh? lol

My 71-year-old eyes just don't seem to be very good any more. When my Phantom gets out about 500 yards or so, it starts looking pretty tiny and pretty fuzzy. At that point, the orientation of the craft is virtually impossible for me to ascertain. Sometimes, when I feel like "I'm stuck," I'll press the RTH and then, when it's obviously coming back to me, I'll retake control. I've never let it come all the way back automatically.

Reactions: Dounin Front
If the spot on the ground directly beneath your Phantom is not very far away, it will land. I forget the exact number at the moment - I remember it being something like 50 - 60 meters.

Get it farther away from you than that, but close enough that you can take manual control if something goes wrong. Then PRESS AND HOLD the RTH button. *IF* your Phantom doesn't start coming back (i.e., the RTH fails, which is rather unlikely), you have enough time to take control yourself and bring it back.

It's all described in the manual. There are several pertinent parts of the manual applying to RTH - you should read 'em all.

The manual says if the the aircraft is within a 20 meter/65 ft radius of the recorded home point (horizontal distance) and RTH is activated, it will immediately descend at that spot.

The manual says if the the aircraft is within a 20 meter/65 ft radius of the recorded home point (horizontal distance) and RTH is activated, it will immediately descend at that spot.
Very important! That can get you into a panicked situation quickly if you were, say, 60 feet out over water and wanted to test out RTH functionality. It'll try to land right out there in the water.

RTH is not a 'thing' to trust or not.

A failure to return may be caused by numerous issues.

Very important! That can get you into a panicked situation quickly if you were, say, 60 feet out over water and wanted to test out RTH functionality. It'll try to land right out there in the water.

Press the RTH button and the app will announce (keep your volume up) "GO HOME". If it is going to land it will announce "LANDING". If that isn't what you want to do, just press the RTH button again and the aircraft will cancel RTH and hover waiting for your next command. All this assuming there is no battery issue, which you should really try to avoid, as we've discussed ad nauseum.

Press the RTH button and the app will announce (keep your volume up) "GO HOME". If it is going to land it will announce "LANDING". If that isn't what you want to do, just press the RTH button again.
Nah, if my Phantom started landing in the water from 30 feet up as soon as I pressed RTH and told me " LANDING" I'd probably panic and start yelling at the transmitter "CANCEL! CANCEL!" while I watched it sink. :D

Reactions: bobmyers
Nah, if my Phantom started landing in the water from 30 feet up as soon as I pressed RTH and told me " LANDING" I'd probably panic and start yelling at the transmitter "CANCEL! CANCEL!" while I watched it sink. :D
Atti and fly it back LOL

Hi. I an patiently waiting the arrival of my P3P and doing lots of reading.
On DJI site regarding RTH I am a bit unsure. It seems like they are saying if one pushes the RTH button when less that 20
meters away from the Home point, the drone just lands. Am I understanding this correctly?
My yard is surrounded by bushes and trees. I could easily be less than 20m away and flying over bush.

Yes, that is correct.

Just ordered my P3P, doing lots of research whilst "patiently" waiting for it to arrive. Can I just say this forum is greet, I'm getting so much great information. The RTH feature is one thing that really interested me and found a good article on the DJI forum.... DJI Forum|RTH: How It Works and What to Avoid

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, that is correct.
Thanks for your quick repsonce. I just viewed one of DJI's tutorial videos and they stated it will land in place.

Trying the RTH when it is not far away would seem like a logical way to test it. To gain a little faith.
But it could be a fatal mistake.

Trying the RTH when it is not far away would seem like a logical way to test it. To gain a little faith. But it could be a fatal mistake.
True. But, people who do not read and understand the Phantom manual often make many fatal mistakes.

It could be a fatal mistake, but it shouldn't really be fatal mistake because as you see it descending into your trees/ bushes, you'd gain control and move it over your landing spot.

Re the topic, yes I trust it. I trust it because I confirmed my home point is correct (and not fourteen miles away), I confirmed I have at least seven satellites locked, and after launching I checked for toilet bowl circles/drifting before I proceeded with my flight plan.

Sounds like you have it figured out-- assuming there was a clearing :D:D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20