Replacing Motor

Reaction score
I need advice on replacing motor on STD 3. One video I watch unsoldered each wire and then of course resoldered. My question is wouldn't it be easier to cut the wires in the middle and splice in the new motor and use shrink tubing to insolate the wires?

I need advice on replacing motor on STD 3. One video I watch unsoldered each wire and then of course resoldered. My question is wouldn't it be easier to cut the wires in the middle and splice in the new motor and use shrink tubing to insolate the wires?

I forget the correct terminology but the length of the wire has to be the same from the motor to the esc as original so cutting the wire in the middle and splicing the new motor and it's wires onto the cut wire will lengthen the wire, there's bound to be somebody here that can give a better explanation

Reactions: Phill2
Very goog advice, e4xactly what I was looking for,thank you!!
I would strongly advise against the cut and splice butcher method- it is more trouble than it is worth. The individual strands in the fly leads are extensions of the magnet wire which form the motor windings. Each strand is individually insulated. To have a hope of performing an acceptable mechanical and electrical connection by soldering you need to remove the insulation by mechanical means ior by immersion in a molten solder bath. The factory leads in the replacement motor are pre/tinned and ready to solder to the main board. Do yourself a favour and do it properly. It will be quicker and better in the long run.

It’s not the way to go Phil- that I can guarantee.... the new motors even have the leads pre-tinned ready to solder at the main board.

Thanks for the reply WTB.
I had assumed that it was just wire as I have never had to do it myself.
You've saved me an expensive mistake should I ever have to replace one.

I forget the correct terminology but the length of the wire has to be the same from the motor to the esc as original so cutting the wire in the middle and splicing the new motor and it's wires onto the cut wire will lengthen the wire, there's bound to be somebody here that can give a better explanation

Sounds like it must have a certain resistance to function properly?

Reactions: DKG13CC
Provided the length allows the wires to be routed properly the length is not important- at least with respect to resistance or other electrical considerations.

I knew somebody would have the correct info, before DJI came on the scene I used to build quads and tricopters and was told that the wires from the motors were part of the motor setup and to not cut them but connect them directly to the esc's

I knew somebody would have the correct info, before DJI came on the scene I used to build quads and tricopters and was told that the wires from the motors were part of the motor setup and to not cut them but connect them directly to the esc's
Joining is ok but it’s a lot of unecessary effort- especially when the motors are supplied with fly leads ready to solder straight on.

Reactions: DKG13CC and Phill2
Fully agree with With The Birds. The new motor is already prepared to drop right in. Also, dont forget the bead of hot glue across the connections!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic