Repair and Sale or Just Sale As-Is??

Reaction score
Whats up guys, I've got a Phantom 4 that took a fall a couple months ago and it damaged the gimbal pretty bad and damaged 1 of the motors. I ended up sending it to Drone Nerds for an estimate and they ended up telling me that I needed a new gimbal/camera and 1 new motor.

In that time period, I ended up buying a new one to take with me on an upcoming trip so I just decided to wait on repairing the other one. Once I got home, I started looking into the repairs. I knew that replacing the gimbal would be easy, but I suck at soldering, so I had drone nerds replace the one motor. Once I got it back, I searched and found a good deal on a new gimbal/camera assembly and ordered that (about 100.00 less than drone nerds). Once it came in I put it all together and fired it up and everything worked flawlessly....almost!

Currently it is showing a calibration error. Compass 2 Disconnected. I then replaced both landing assemblies even though they weren't damaged in the crash, and then when I fired it up, I got the same error. Compass 2 Disconnected.

So now my question is,
1. do I sale it as is, and if I do, what is it worth?
2. send it off for repair and then sale it?

It has no cracks, no scrapes, all factory accessories, 1 battery with around 25 hours, controller, brand new gimbal.camera, will throw in the old gimbal/camera in case it can be salvaged, 1 set of props, 1 set of brand new props. I think thats about it.

It flies perfectly and takes beautiful pics/videos, but i'm just over working on it.

Thanks,
Chris

If you replaced the landing skids with the compasses and you are sure that you hooked the compasses up properly, you're probably better off throwing in the towel. If you didn't, do that first. That is most likely a failed mainboard, which is not cheap nor is it simple. Honestly, you can probably list the drone for $400 and be done with it, let it be a project for someone else. Even in great condition you're probably only going to get $550-600 for it, and that difference is the cost of the entire mainboard assembly. And that doesn't include your time or the risk that yet another component is dead.

If you replaced the landing skids with the compasses and you are sure that you hooked the compasses up properly, you're probably better off throwing in the towel. If you didn't, do that first. That is most likely a failed mainboard, which is not cheap nor is it simple. Honestly, you can probably list the drone for $400 and be done with it, let it be a project for someone else. Even in great condition you're probably only going to get $550-600 for it, and that difference is the cost of the entire mainboard assembly. And that doesn't include your time or the risk that yet another component is dead.
Thats kinda what i'm afraid of. I listed it on eBay and i'll see what it brings. I just paid 350.00 for the gimbal/camera assembly. Maybe I should just part everything out

Thats kinda what i'm afraid of. I listed it on eBay and i'll see what it brings. I just paid 350.00 for the gimbal/camera assembly. Maybe I should just part everything out

Wow, that's expensive. Yes, parting it out is probably better.

That's not a bad price for a new P4 gimbal/camera but, I'm inclined to agree with Just_nick. You probably wouldn't get more than $600 - 650, even if it was perfect. If the remaining good parts will get you more than that, you may do better parting it out. Good luck.

I thought about sending it in to get checked out and possibly repaired, but that would cost a minimum of 100.00 probably. I think i'm just ready to cut my loses.

I'm not super sharp when it comes to metering and troubleshooting electronics, but does anyone know if or what I can meter to see if power is coming down the line going to the board for the compass in the leg?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.