Removing prop guards

Reaction score
So I removed the prop guards since I've become more competent. Suddenly the aircraft was all over the place. On takeoff it shot into the sky like a rocket to the point where I thought it was a fly away. But I did get it back down. Then it started to settle to the ground uncommanded. Not badly but I had to add throttle to avoid an uncommanded landing. It's also getting pushed around and drifting a lot more than before. The props aren't in perfect shape but they are exactly the same as they were with the prop guards on.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Go and do an advanced IMU calibration again. Redo your compass calibration at your flight site. Check, and double check that these are done right. Make sure the compass is around 1500 to1800. The ONLY reason your Phantom will not do what you tell it, is when the GPS and/or compass are getting mixed messages.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I always do a compass calibration before my first flight of the day. But I haven't done a imu calibration since I removed the prop guards.

jw190d9 said:
So I removed the prop guards since I've become more competent. Suddenly the aircraft was all over the place. On takeoff it shot into the sky like a rocket to the point where I thought it was a fly away. But I did get it back down. Then it started to settle to the ground uncommanded. Not badly but I had to add throttle to avoid an uncommanded landing. It's also getting pushed around and drifting a lot more than before. The props aren't in perfect shape but they are exactly the same as they were with the prop guards on.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

This definitely seems unrelated to prop guards. I removed mine and find the craft more stable and agile, not less.

I tried an advanced imu calibration and compass calibration and it helps a bit, less uncommanded vertical movement. But still seems to have uncommanded left roll. Tried reinstalling the firmware with no effect. Thanks everyone for the input.

jw190d9 said:
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I always do a compass calibration before my first flight of the day. But I haven't done a imu calibration since I removed the prop guards.
You do NOT have to calibrate your compass Everytime e if touring the same general area.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl