Remote Pilot Logbook

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Long time listener, first time caller.

I have made a beta version of an electronic drone/remote (call it what you will) pilot logbook, similar to what conventional pilots use to keep track of their experience for regulatory purposes. I know there are many 'all-round' online services out there but I think there is, or will be, a need for a specific logbook app for us as the industry grows.

We would like to adapt it to become world wide compatible, such as the lingo used and how the experience summaries etc are displayed..

If you think it's something you would like to take a look at please do - the more comments or suggestions the better.

Really appreciate your time!

FWIW we are a drone services business but we are not making money from this. It is in the very early stages

Welcome to the forum.
So you want Beta testers and plan on charging at a later date ?
Also where is all the data you collect going to end up being you
are in Hong Kong.

Welcome to the forum.
So you want Beta testers and plan on charging at a later date ?
Also where is all the data you collect going to end up being you
are in Hong Kong.
Thanks dirkclod. Of course, the more the merrier otherwise I don't think it could ever progress past what it is now without input for improvements, functionality, bugs. This was an idea I've been wanting to put to the community for a year or so, being a business yes it may become a pay to use product - although anyone part of the beta can use it for free if this happens.

I live in Hong Kong (I'm an expat working here), however the drone services business (aerial photography) is incorporated in Australia and the server is hosted in Singapore under a reputable American provider.

Did not expect such a hostile response regarding the data. All the logbook entries are yours, my interest is providing the community with a useful product.

I hope this clarifies some issues and that my interest lies in providing and improving a product to the drone community..

Thanks dirkclod. Of course, the more the merrier otherwise I don't think it could ever progress past what it is now without input for improvements, functionality, bugs. This was an idea I've been wanting to put to the community for a year or so, being a business yes it may become a pay to use product - although anyone part of the beta can use it for free if this happens.

I live in Hong Kong (I'm an expat working here), however the drone services business (aerial photography) is incorporated in Australia and the server is hosted in Singapore under a reputable American provider.

Did not expect such a hostile response regarding the data. All the logbook entries are yours, my interest is providing the community with a useful product.

I hope this clarifies some issues and that my interest lies in providing and improving a product to the drone community..
Well don’t think you will get any help here but may be wrong .
Plus let me say when you start charging you Will need to be a vender here. Drone Pilots Media | Reach Millions of Drone Pilots

Reactions: GFields
Did not think so either, but the support so far has been surprising.

Thank you everyone

I wouldn’t take it personally, it’s just a fact that people are becoming more cautious about sharing personal data with on line databases for a number or reasons.

Governments and regulatory bodies are showing themselves more and more willing to mandate the release of this data upon demand and even the most rule compliant individuals are wary of incriminating themselves with a momentary inadvertent lapse that will non the less place them in dis favour with the regulator or void their insurance. I mean, no insurance company ever declined to honour their coverage on a technicality that had nothing to do with the incident that sparked the claim right?

Then we have operators of these databases on selling that data for marketing and other reasons. Not to say that’s your intention but people don’t know you personally and rightly are concerned.

Their are other valid reasons for not wanting to share flight data. I’m a commercial operator in Queensland. I have been flying quite often (with all clearances and permissions) in military aviation areas and installations and am quite restricted in what data I can release. I do not even synch my flights with the DJI database let alone something like airdata. I may be over cautious but better safe.

I think if you made a compliant logbook with local data storage you’d have a winner. I know I’d be interested.

Regards
Ari

I wouldn’t take it personally, it’s just a fact that people are becoming more cautious about sharing personal data with on line databases for a number or reasons.

Governments and regulatory bodies are showing themselves more and more willing to mandate the release of this data upon demand and even the most rule compliant individuals are wary of incriminating themselves with a momentary inadvertent lapse that will non the less place them in dis favour with the regulator or void their insurance. I mean, no insurance company ever declined to honour their coverage on a technicality that had nothing to do with the incident that sparked the claim right?

Then we have operators of these databases on selling that data for marketing and other reasons. Not to say that’s your intention but people don’t know you personally and rightly are concerned.

Their are other valid reasons for not wanting to share flight data. I’m a commercial operator in Queensland. I have been flying quite often (with all clearances and permissions) in military aviation areas and installations and am quite restricted in what data I can release. I do not even synch my flights with the DJI database let alone something like airdata. I may be over cautious but better safe.

I think if you made a compliant logbook with local data storage you’d have a winner. I know I’d be interested.

Regards
Ari
Thanks Ari,

Before COVID hit the idea was to run a drone business on the Gold Coast - had some clients, ReOC etc but it has been difficult to get to and from Hong Kong due to the restrictions in quarantine here.

I am interested in continuing this online logbook. At this stage local data is a little down the track, however would encrypted locations etc suffice for the time being?

FWIW, the app only records things like flight location, duration and VLOS etc. Not necessarily anything more tehnical or complicated. It is all for the purpose of keeping track of your experience like conventional pilot logbooks

If it was a local piece of software, I might use it. But an Excel spreadsheet does the same. Honestly, there is no way I would want my flight information stored in the cloud, especially overseas. Good luck with your service.

Reactions: nickaa
I understand how important data privacy is to you all so will focus on writing code that encrypts, fakes or alters the data of your flight records in the database.

In regards to saving data locally - this is a web based product so the back-end is obviously on the server. In saying this though I will explore all options in this area soon.

Appreciate the time you've taken to put in some input!

Regards
Ari
Well said.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20