Reduction of satellites detected

Reaction score
In the last few weeks I have noticed a reduction in satellites detected during flight missions with waypoints.

During the last flight I locked onto 15 satellites. During the same mission, last year, same period and same time, I had locked on 18 satellites.

Why ? Is it a problem?

In the last few weeks I have noticed a reduction in satellites detected during flight missions with waypoints.

During the last flight I locked onto 15 satellites. During the same mission, last year, same period and same time, I had locked on 18 satellites.

Why ? Is it a problem?
I dont think that would be a problem. I usually get 15. Actually, locking onto 15 is really good. The minimum you need would be 3; if they are separated enough. But you wouldn't know how far apart they are. I wouldn't worry about it.
Have fun flying....

The GPS satellites are constantly moving. They will come and go quite randomly without evaluating carefully where each one is at a Given moment and place.

The drone will auto select in real time which will work best and most accurately. It gives up and switched to ATTI mode when it can’t get enough satellites.

The minimum you need would be 3; if they are separated enough. But you wouldn't know how far apart they are.
For a handheld GPS unit down on the ground, the minimum number of sats required for a 3D fix is four.
But DJI drones require a minimum of 6 sats before they will be in P-GPS mode.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Yes, but usually it lets you to take off when 7 or 8 sats are locked.

Well, maybe I didn't put that clear enough. I meant to take of in P-GPS mode.

The sun electromagnet activity K 1-3 OK, 4 and more not OK. It has an influence on transmission signal. Usually not recommended to fly in higher values.

• Sad
Reactions: Oso
I've not checked for a while, but what's the k-index, sunspot activity like recently?
There's no need to check the K-index as it has no effect on anything to do with drone GPS and there has never been a flight incident that could be attributed to high K-index flying.
There is nothing abnormal about the numbers mentioned by the OP.

Reactions: Oso
There's no need to check the K-index as it has no effect on anything to do with drone GPS and there has never been a flight incident that could be attributed to high K-index flying.
There is nothing abnormal about the numbers mentioned by the OP.
On my PfCO course, it was specifically mentioned as a preflight check. Easy to do, see no reason to ignore it.

On my PfCO course, it was specifically mentioned as a preflight check. Easy to do, see no reason to ignore it.
Sounds like the instructor is uninformed.
If he teaches that sort of nonsense, what other myths has he been spreading?
Something about the compass perhaps?

The next drone to be affected by a high K-index will be the first ever.

Meta4:

You sound like an "expert" on the K-index. If it is as non-consequential to drones as you suggest, they why do they bother to show the Kp-index on the UAV Forecast page? Also, this website goes into some detail on what the Kp-index is and what it can do to drone operations: What Is the Kp Index and Why Does It Matter to Drone Pilots? They say it can actually take your drone out of GPS mode if high enough.

Instructor is CAA approved, so it's a case of:

- the CAA must think it's important enough
- so the instructor tells us to check it and put that info in our operating manuals.
- so I do check it, and fly at other times if I can do.

You might well be right that it's a load of bolox, but it is 'official bolox' :)

My P2V+ was very variable on GPS behaviour, but neither of my P4Pro have ever been anything other than 100% solid with GPS.

Meta4:

You sound like an "expert" on the K-index. If it is as non-consequential to drones as you suggest, they why do they bother to show the Kp-index on the UAV Forecast page?
Probably the same reason they show other non-consequential things like cloud cover.
That and that so many people keep pushing this silly myth despite having no real knowledge of what's involved.
People love to spread scary myths about potential disaster .. remember the much over hyped millennium bug?
Or if you are old enough, the Jupiter Effect?
Also, this website goes into some detail on what the Kp-index is and what it can do to drone operations: What Is the Kp Index and Why Does It Matter to Drone Pilots? They say it can actually take your drone out of GPS mode if high enough.
Here's that same information explained in a less alarmist fashion:

Or if you are interested in the technical aspects of this issue, try this:

Instructor is CAA approved, so it's a case of:
- the CAA must think it's important enough
The instructor is just passing on the same myths that someone passed on to him
My P2V+ was very variable on GPS behaviour, but neither of my P4Pro have ever been anything other than 100% solid with GPS.
The old P2V+ was notorious for poor GPS because of interference from components located just under the GPS antenna.
This was easily fixed with proper shielding between the antenna and the rest of the drone's components.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic