Red Rock Canyon (Mojave Desert, California)

Reaction score
Flying my Phantom above the cliffs at Red Rock Canyon State Park in the Mojave Desert in Southern California.

Captured by my DJI Phantom 4 in 4K resolution on December 18, 2016

My other videos are at the following link:
http://rebrand.ly/pacificdronepilots

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's one of the things I like about this site .You see ather parts of the world and usually places you don't see on traditional media

Very nice. Wish I had that scenery close to me.
Thanks, @brolland. I a firm believer that no matter where someone is, there is always some unique area in which to fly. In what part of the world do you live?

It's one of the things I like about this site .You see ather parts of the world and usually places you don't see on traditional media
I totally agree, @The Springs. It's cool checking out where others call home.

Thanks, @brollandIn what part of the world do you live?
I answered my own question. I see you are in Waterloo (St. Louis region). There should be a lot of architectural subjects around which to fly, yes?

What camera settings did you use?
It's was from my P4, shot at 4K / 30fps, with a circular polarizing filter. I believe I used the automatic exposure mode.

Isn't flying in Red Rock Canyon prohibited?
No. Whether flying recreational or Part 107, as long as all other guidelines and rules are followed, it is fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyEP3
No. Whether flying recreational or Part 107, as long as all other guidelines and rules are followed, it is fine.

I read on the site of the "Red Rock Cyn Interrretive Association" that you have to get a film permit from some obtuse organization and from the park office. Anything to that??

Actually, this area is part of the "special use airspace" and is designated as "R-2508" and you are not permitted to fly there without permission. Also, getting permission is, well, very unlikely. Please refer to the various online tools to check this out. Sadly, much of southern California is blanketed by these special use areas for the large military complexes that are scattered about the area. Nevada and Utah are similarly blanketed over large portions of the state.

The tools you can use include: B4UFLY and AirMap.

Again, I'm not trying to be a spoil sport but if you were to get caught it might be expensive.

Brian

Actually, this area is part of the "special use airspace" and is designated as "R-2508" and you are not permitted to fly there without permission. Also, getting permission is, well, very unlikely. Please refer to the various online tools to check this out. Sadly, much of southern California is blanketed by these special use areas for the large military complexes that are scattered about the area. Nevada and Utah are similarly blanketed over large portions of the state.

Again, I'm not trying to be a spoil sport but if you were to get caught it might be expensive.

Brian

Thanks, Brian! I think you are mostly correct. However, some restricted airspace areas don't begin until above 1200' or some other altitude above ground, though others do begin at ground level. That information is on the sectional charts. One must be careful and you're right about the western U.S. being riddled with them.

Brian

Hi again, Brian.... Found something you might find interesting. The R2508 Complex is huge and is broken into several sub parts. In MOST sub parts, the Military Operations Area (MOA) STARTS at 200' AGL. So, you should be good to go if you stay under 200'. The Trona Pinnacles is a great example.

However, some of R2508 is Prohibited and it is shown in the handbook which you can get as a pdf. Just Google R-2508 and pick one of the Edwards AFB results. All this stuff is fascinating!

Hi again, Brian.... Found something you might find interesting. The R2508 Complex is huge and is broken into several sub parts. In MOST sub parts, the Military Operations Area (MOA) STARTS at 200' AGL. So, you should be good to go if you stay under 200'. The Trona Pinnacles is a great example.

However, some of R2508 is Prohibited and it is shown in the handbook which you can get as a pdf. Just Google R-2508 and pick one of the Edwards AFB results. All this stuff is fascinating!

I just downloaded the LA sectional and it indicates that for the Isabella area within 2508 the prohibited area is 200' AGL to 18,000' MSL so as long as the flight remained below 200' AGL then it should be OK. The challenge, of course, is that the area is not flat/level and the actual elevation of 200AGL could be as much as 1456MSL.

The other thing is that the online tools do not go into the level of detail that the sectional charts do AND the sectional charts are not easy to understand.

Brian

I just downloaded the LA sectional and it indicates that for the Isabella area within 2508 the prohibited area is 200' AGL to 18,000' MSL so as long as the flight remained below 200' AGL then it should be OK. The challenge, of course, is that the area is not flat/level and the actual elevation of 200AGL could be as much as 1456MSL.

The other thing is that the online tools do not go into the level of detail that the sectional charts do AND the sectional charts are not easy to understand.

Brian

I agree, sectionals can be LOADS of fun.

I'll share this...I fly a lot with Litchi. I can preplan, or plan in the field, my waypoint mission. Litchi uses Google Earth maps for ground elevations.Then, I can tell Litchi to set all (or selected) waypoints to a specific altitude RELATIVE TO GROUND. So, yes, my altitude could be much more AMSL, but still be 200' AGL. That's one reason I love that app!

This stuff is really fun!

Finding my FAA sectional chart link to download for my area of interest. Thanks, Brian!!

Brian

Sorry, me again, Brian.

Pulled the LA sectional and looks to me like Red Rock Cyn is in the Isabella MOA. I see several notices at private airports in the Isabella MOA that indicate "MOA excludes airspace 1500' AGL and below". Would you take a look and see if that's correct? Many thanks!

Also, looks like it takes two sectionals to cover all of R2508.

Sorry, me again, Brian.

Pulled the LA sectional and looks to me like Red Rock Cyn is in the Isabella MOA. I see several notices at private airports in the Isabella MOA that indicate "MOA excludes airspace 1500' AGL and below". Would you take a look and see if that's correct? Many thanks!

Also, looks like it takes two sectionals to cover all of R2508.

Understanding sectional charts is harder than Chinese rith-ma-tic so I could be wrong, but section 6.1.1 indicates the Isabella MOA covers 200AGL to 17,999MSL and is used for:

* Primary holding point for armed aircraft using R-2505 and test aircraft suing R-2524
* Rapid maneuvering and ACM conducted over Saltdale/Koehm Lake with heavy use by Edwards AFB at all altitudes
* Arrivals and departures from NAWS China Lake R-2505
* Orbit of refueling aircraft in support of restricted area operations
* Crossing of several Military Training Routes (MTR's)

So, looks like a pretty busy area. OTH, it does indicate flight below 200AGL is OK, but boy I'd have my head on a swivel if I was there...

Brian

Understanding sectional charts is harder than Chinese rith-ma-tic so I could be wrong, but section 6.1.1 indicates the Isabella MOA covers 200AGL to 17,999MSL and is used for:

* Primary holding point for armed aircraft using R-2505 and test aircraft suing R-2524
* Rapid maneuvering and ACM conducted over Saltdale/Koehm Lake with heavy use by Edwards AFB at all altitudes
* Arrivals and departures from NAWS China Lake R-2505
* Orbit of refueling aircraft in support of restricted area operations
* Crossing of several Military Training Routes (MTR's)

So, looks like a pretty busy area. OTH, it does indicate flight below 200AGL is OK, but boy I'd have my head on a swivel if I was there...

Brian

I suspect the "MOA excludes 1500' AGL and below" only applies to the airspace indicated around those private airports.

When I'm flying, my head is always on a swivel!

Thanks very much for your input.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers