Record yourself!

Reaction score
When things go wrong while flying it seems to be a common experience, especially among us newer pilots, to not have a clear memory of what we were doing when chaos struck. Hindsight isn't very accurate, especially when you're trying to remember if you were in ATTI / Course Lock and yawing left or were you in GPS and pulling the stick straight back?

I've found that it really helps me to record my voice (I use an iPod Touch) from the moment I turn the GoPro on. For example, I'll say aloud: "This is the second flight, taking off in ATTI and headed south to fly a perimeter route around this field."

Then, as the Phantom flies, I describe what I'm doing and what the Phantom appears to be doing.

Later, I play the recording and sync it as best I can with the GoPro video. Today that really helped me when I lost orientation and wasn't sure if pulling back on the right stick was actually bringing the quad closer to me. From the ground, LOS, I had a lot of doubt but watching the video I can see that the Phantom did move as I'd hoped, but slower than I probably expected.

I tried a logbook and I also tried using an IOS application to keep track of flights but both require entering information after the flight. The voice recording is not only more accurate but has the added advantage of documenting your screams, curses, shouts and cries for help. :)

Good idea. I may try this. I have a digital recorder I can hang around my neck rather than use my Android phone.

How about this approach, records everything and you can even get sound from the second camera. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH8IZLsPR5c[/youtube]

GearLoose said:
I've found that it really helps me to record my voice (I use an iPod Touch) from the moment I turn the GoPro on. For example, I'll say aloud: "This is the second flight, taking off in ATTI and headed south to fly a perimeter route around this field."

Then, as the Phantom flies, I describe what I'm doing and what the Phantom appears to be doing.

Later, I play the recording and sync it as best I can with the GoPro video.

You could dub the audio into your video with some video editing software. (Maybe that's what you were saying(?))

careysb said:
GearLoose said:

Later, I play the recording and sync it as best I can with the GoPro video.

You could dub the audio into your video with some video editing software. (Maybe that's what you were saying(?))

Great idea but you definitely need a gimbal. That would complete the package for you.

I am using a gimbal, a Tarot -- quite an improvement although the Tarot software just doesn't work for me (and I've tried on my Mac and a Windows computer).

I could easily overlay the audio recording using Quicktime Pro but I do these recordings for self-training. They aren't exactly thrilling, though today I did record with both voice and GoPro my most dramatic crash. Not suitable for family listening. More about that crash later....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl