Reason Why Stock P3S Has Such Poor Range

Frank, would you mind sharing your mods that you have done to get the increased range? I've recently acquired a second P3S, for stupid cheap, and am very interested in tweaking it for better range. Would you mind showing some pictures as well?

I wish I knew about this before I spent all the time, effort and $ I did. Also it looks like something happened to my original thread on this. Hope DJI didn't delete it. Maybe it got moved. Anyway check this out.

Icarus for Phantom 3S/4K - Android Apps on Google Play

Works with any P3S world wide but you have to configure with an Android then can use ios if you want from what Im reading.

Works with any P3S world wide but you have to configure with an Android then can use ios if you want from what Im reading.

Frank, thanks for the info. I have been doing searches on extending the range and have upgraded to the Argtech antennae's with good success. This sounds like it will be the fix for the signal strength I have been looking for. Also our tip helped me find the proper searches to get more info off this forum. Greatly appreciated!!!

These mods and upgrades and fancy range-extenders are all fine and good for some folks, but the rest of us have to live with the old adage which says "Cadillac taste, Volkswagen budget".....

Reactions: Newbieguy
P3S stock, out of the box, over water, reached 5,445' yesterday.

I wouldn't make that up.

You've got more nerve than I do, pal. And probably better eyesight, too. I can barely even see my P3S at 1/2 mile out...

You've got more nerve than I do, pal. And probably better eyesight, too. I can barely even see my P3S at 1/2 mile out...

No nerve at all... more like a "resigned confidence". Half terrified, half accepting the fact that even if it was only 100 feet out, it won't be any less painful if it goes down (if its over the water) than if it's a hundred miles.

It's a progressive confidence that comes from flawless flights that having me loving this hobby way more than I even expected to!

Reactions: LarBear360
Got 915m / 3020 ft today out over a lake , stock P3S typically 300 - 400m in heavily treed area
I have same aircraft and over a big river on downtown only go as far as 60 meters. I have the parabolic device on the antenna. Using the latest firmware. I am suspecting that could be interference with the Wifi, because downtown Philly have a lot of cell towers, electric cables, bunch of other stuff.

No nerve at all... more like a "resigned confidence". Half terrified, half accepting the fact that even if it was only 100 feet out, it won't be any less painful if it goes down (if its over the water) than if it's a hundred miles.

It's a progressive confidence that comes from flawless flights that having me loving this hobby way more than I even expected to!

Sure wish my wife would develop some of that "progressive confidence" in this hobby! She looks at my three drones an simply rolls her eyes with that "Oh boy, so THAT'S where all our money is going!" look. :rolleyes:

Sure wish my wife would develop some of that "progressive confidence" in this hobby! She looks at my three drones an simply rolls her eyes with that "Oh boy, so THAT'S where all our money is going!" look. :rolleyes:

LMAO oh trust me, I get it!

I only gave you half the story! She was sitting beside me the whole time... "bring it back... bring it back... BRING IT BACK!!! Oh my God you're going to lose it!"

These mods and upgrades and fancy range-extenders are all fine and good for some folks, but the rest of us have to live with the old adage which says "Cadillac taste, Volkswagen budget".....
A lot of us are experimenters and enjoy tinkering trying to improve performance even though we don't have much $. Many of these improvements / mods are not that expensive anyway.

Frank, thanks for the info. I have been doing searches on extending the range and have upgraded to the Argtech antennae's with good success. This sounds like it will be the fix for the signal strength I have been looking for. Also our tip helped me find the proper searches to get more info off this forum. Greatly appreciated!!!
I just ordered a used P3S controller off ebay to see if all of them have the problem of only approx +8dbm/5mw tx output on 5.8ghz and only approx +20dbm\100mw output on 2.4ghz as my original one does now. My P2V+ does 50mw & 400mw respectively. I will create a new post on my findings with the used controller off ebay compared to my original P3S controller .

That's pretty hard to believe STOCK!

Bone stock. Zero mod. I agree with you 100%, that it is hard to believe, but I sat on the beach and flew a straight line until I reached what I was looking for (there was a campground I knew to be about a mile away)...

I just wanted to see if I could find it, even from a distance, but kept going until the nerves took over...

And even then, I only got one signal warning... not enough to force a RTH.

I'm as thoroughly impressed with this equipment as I am surprised and amazed.

Some people get lucky and go far with p3 standard. Here is a vid with stock remote, p3 standard.

I'm wondering if DJI has lowered the output signal strength on the remotes. But why would they do this?

I took my p3s out just over 2000 feet before it lost signal and came home. I would like to extend this further. I thought about remote upgrading but if it only puts out low power than any upgrade is worthless correct?

Might there be a way to adjust the remotes output? It might sacrifice battery on the remote but I'd be ok with that.

fa563e59d40fb0a54caacab540079f34.jpg

Yes. I was wrong. I double checked my flight log and actually peaked at 5,604'. Bone stock, out of the box.

And did not return home due to signal loss either, nor video loss... just nerve loss.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20