P3S HUGE DISSAPPOINTMENT

Reaction score
Florida. Haven't had the guts to max range test my P3S only because I have read all the mishaps and range problems with it on this forum. I'm a RF engineer by trade so I wanted to make sure the AC performed to specs RF wise (what ever conjecture is out there). I started with a P2V+. Darn glad I still have it too. My P2V+ 2.4ghz both ports are 400mw/ +26dbm each and the 5.8ghz AC control output is 50mw/17dbm unlike my P3S's 2.4ghz output only 25mw/14dbm and 5.8ghz AC control signal only 5mw/7dbm. I have purchased an additional P3S controller off eBay to find that it has the same tested RF output specs. I suspect DJI was feeling the heat so in turn drastically reduced the rage capabilities of the P3S their low line model at the time of its introduction. Why not their higher line models? AGAIN THE LITTLE GUY GETS THE SHAFT.

i did the power5 mod and argtek antennas, i can go really far but I'm still a little fearful of going too far even though i have good signal now

Reactions: gabrielcruz728
I had my P3S out to 5300' a couple of nights ago. Took it up to 980' one time also.

* Yes I know the limit is 400'. However, I don't live in downtown Detroit either. :)
STOCK P3S?
Any folks getting this kind of range with their P3S are very lucky mainly I suspect due to their location. Most likely they have little or no AC or Controller receiver degradation (interference) and the AC is most likely at a straight line of site from the controller.
My Main gripe is the reduction in transmitter outputs over the P2V+ makes the P3S more susceptible to interference and therefore unexpected flight situations.

Last edited:
I can see your point. I do fly in a wide open area. Must be a pain having to worry about everybody and his dog in a congested area.

Reactions: pntbec
I'm also getting excellent range with optional antenna's and Power 5 MOD. Easily flew 3500' out into the ocean with strong signal in both video and control. You do have to turn off the Range Limit switch to get maximum range out of the bird and RC.

Your point is well taken about the specs, but, it is only a consumer level drone set-up, not a commercial unit many of which cost $15-$45,000 dollars.

i had total **** issues with range and signal before the antenna mod and Power5 DBM increase (thanks papa tita!),

here is my front yard I too have issues w signal interference at times. probably power lines or everyones wifi signals competing for channels . but as you can see I'm not in a heavy populated area, i think there are only 2000-ish people in the entire area...which is fine by me

Attachments

• 328 feet.png
    328 feet.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 541
Haven't had the guts to max range test my P3S only because I have read all the mishaps and range problems with it on this forum.

Yeah.... but want you have not read is about the other 98% that are working absolutely fine. People only seek out forums when they are having a problem. That goes with anything. Got to "What ever kind of car you own".com forums and you'll also see nothing but problems there as well.

The other "I have read" is about how horrible DJI customer service is/was. I almost didn't want to send my P3P in, just because of all of the horror stories. I found it to be the complete opposite. The whole process, including shipping was 2 weeks. They got right on it AND it was 100% free. What makes us think that though is, again.... nobody is going to seek out a forums when everything went perfectly.

Why not just try it and see? Automatic RTH will kick in, even with complete loss of Tx signal. When I had my Standard, I even went so far as to just power my Tx right off.... and the bird returned home, no problem.

Finally, If you do end up doing the test and you are unhappy with the results, give the "Alfa Mod" a chance. It's a cheap and easy way to make a BIG improvement on these P3's, both the Standard and Pro benefit greatly from this mod.

@Frank Pliska III, why cut-and-paste a previous response (Icarus for latest firmware) into a new thread? What is it that you are complaining about? By your own admission, you never range-tested your P3S!
Im Complaining that DJI's printed specifications for the P3S are VERY inaccurate but not for the P2V+ that I still own and have also tested and its specs are exactly what they claim they are. When a manufacture comes out with a new model to replace an older model it usually does not have poorer specs.

Im Complaining that DJI's printed specifications for the P3S are VERY inaccurate but not for the P2V+ that I still own and have also tested and its specs are exactly what they claim they are. When a manufacture comes out with a new model to replace an older model it usually does not have poorer specs.
i agree fully.......DJI says the p3s has a max range of 1000m in perfect conditions, when in fact many many users get close to double that in less than perfect conditions. shame on dji for printing specs that arent true !:rolleyes:

Don't take it personally, but your tests might not be accurate. The P3S might have some power-management features so RC/AC don't use full Tx power until is needed. Or the method/instrument/setting you used to measure P2V+ levels don't give reliable readings on the P3S, because of different protocol/technology/whatever.

But in any case, I think the vast majority of users are more interested in actual results than lab-style analysis. My P3S goes comfortably well beyond the 1000m mark... so I don't see DJI specs as (quote) "very inaccurate" or the P3S being (again, quote) a "huge disappointment".
Again, test-range your P3S: if you can't go nearly as far as advertised, then complain. Idle Tx power levels... honestly, who cares?

Last edited:
I get about 3K with stock, but just the other day I tested the new update and only had a bar drop on both signals but the video was extremely laggy, I just pointed in the general direction of home a gunned it back bc I could barely see

Last edited:
One final comment: this thread prompted me to do another range test with my P3S (100% stock, no mods), just to confirm that everything was still working as before. Well, last night I reached the 1-mile mark (1680m/5511ft to be exact) before I lost signal and RTH kicked in! Video feed was on/off by then, as WiFi was stretched beyond its limits.
Not bad for a product advertised to have a 1000m range in ideal conditions... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: jwmcgrath
One final comment: this thread prompted me to do another range test with my P3S (100% stock, no mods), just to confirm that everything was still working as before. Well, last night I reached the 1-mile mark (1680m/5511ft to be exact) before I lost signal and RTH kicked in! Video feed was on/off by then, as WiFi was stretched beyond its limits.
Not bad for a product advertised to have a 1000m range in ideal conditions... ;)
That's decent range. I've hit around the same with my P3 4K. You have to remember that the Standard isn't really designed for long distances. Once you try Lightbridge you'll be blown away by the difference. However, the Standard is still an outstanding bird.

The only difference between this quote and my own range test is that I got to 5,604' and still did not have loss of signal, just loss of nerve.

I have also gone to 4,490' and shut controller and device off and waited. Yes, risky move, but wanted to try it voluntarily before it was imposed upon my by other means...

And I'm happy to say that this was BEFORE the 5,604' range test... so clearly it came home and all continues to function as normal.

Nothing but 100% positive results with the equipment, operation and experiences from day 1.

I got about 22000 ft away once. Battery was my only limitation. I made it back with about 8% battery left.
What a rush.
Should mention I'm using DBS antenna with three silver sunhans boosters. Works like a charm. ;)

How many of you in this thread are flying in FAA controlled airspace? For those who are, the conversation is simple. How far can you see your drone, and see and hear any manned aircraft in the airspace you are flying in. For those outside of FAA controlled airspace, you can neglect any safe flying common sense you wish, let RF signal strength be your guide ... until an accident happens on your watch.

I do think the point of many replies to the op are to dispell the thought that the p3s is a range "slug". Im good with my limitations of 90/500, can easily see and hear whats going on.

Reactions: Russ43Phantom
The main reason from day 1 over 2 years ago I did not buy the P3s was it did not have light bridge. I wanted something that would REALLY go far not only for going far but for the power to bust through other signals. I've always told everyone that ever asks me about a drone and which on to buy is Don't buy the cheap bottom of the line one. It also has no vertical position system on the bottom. for 2 or 300 more, I've had my PsP now for over 2 years and sent it farther than I can see it so it's good enough for me. I would say budget wise go for the P3 advanced, but the difference in that and the standard for a couple of hundred bucks never made sense to me. I hope you get your problem solved. Did someone tell you it would go very far?

Reactions: Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr