Realtor Using Owners Drone Pictures

Drone footage only makes up a small part of a real estate video, and it's not just of roofs. Try and sell a 900 acre ranch without aerials, or a multi-million dollar listing on a lake with a club house and other amenities. Fact is real estate video with drones is very lucrative. I charge a minimum of $400 up to several thousand depending on the size and production value wanted by the client.

To answer the original question. If there isn't any money, goods or services exchanged for the aerial and you simply give them to your agent, I think you should be fine.

Reactions: ScopeTech
Yes I agree it's wrong, the government has their hands on everything the public does or wants to do. The laws the FAA has imposed on us for just wanting to have a decent living is ridiculous but what are we to do. Face heavy fines or go into debt just so we can do what we love and make a little money. Imagine if we didn't have these restrictions then anyone could do a lot of good and provide a lot of services not for $300 hr but $50 hr and still make good money. I am fortunate I am a veteran and the VA picked up a lot of my flight training

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of your good info! I seriously wonder if the FAA knows how f'ing STUPID they make themselves look with this garbage they come up with? Any 10 year old can fly a drone, but they require a pilots license to simply film a house? I'm no expert yet. Ive never physically flown a plane but have thousands of hours in a very realistic flight simulator. I bet you you could maybe confirm something for me. There is absolutely NOTHING about flying a plane that has anything to do with flying a drone. Being a "pilot" of an airplane entails waaaay more technical knowledge and skill than is required to fly a drone. Drone meaning, in most cases that equate to what we want to do, is nothing more than a fancy, hi-tech toy.

Ok, rant over, lol! I am in serious need of a new career and am really interested in this. I think it could be both something I enjoy and could make good money with it. But I am on a very tight budget. I spend all day looking at this stuff and one minute it's "Yes! I can do this!" and the next I find a post like yours showing me I absolutely don't have what I need to get into it. I keep getting mixed info. (I/e,,,the FAA restriction needing a pilots license is a "rule" to them, but is actually a RECOMMENDATION, there is actually no LAW written saying you do.) I know I need liability insurance. How much does that cost? You had a lawyer write up your 333, are there special aviation lawyers I should seek out, or can any lawyer do it? And you said its unlikely you can get a 333 without a lawyer doing it for you. Does FAA frown on applications that weren't, or is it just that the typical Joe Blow is going to miss things a lawyer wouldn't and app gets rejected? I hate to swamp you with questions but I'm pretty lost here. Like you, I'm a vet but I didn't use my GI Bill within 10 years of discharge so I lost it. So I won't have that option to help pay for this. I REALLY want to get into this, and don't get me wrong, a Phantom 3 Proffessional would be a pretty friggin sweet toy. But I'm in no position to buy $1,200 "toys", if It can't be something I can turn into a money producer in the near future, lol!

Our holding company just won an acution on on ten acres. The title lists 350 owners on that ten acres. We don't buy through Realtors. We have a legal department. You are a photographer. If I don't miss my bet you are not a pilot. Any one of those 350 parties, who are lawyers as well, could have you thrown off the property in a second for being arrogant. You may have a deal with a Realtor. You do not have a contract with any owners. But the Realtor contract would be broken for cause and you would be at fault for that. Then we get a 14 year old kid to take the pictures.

Well, aren't YOU just a special little tiger. Grow up and realize there are bigger things in this world than you and your holding company, throwing threats around as if you have any pull over other people in other countries. Pathetic.

Last edited:
You don't need a lawyer for a 333, just do some research and get a template from someone who is in the same field as what you are wanting to do, then modify it for you specifically. You DO unfortunately need a pilots license in order to operate under a 333, so I'd figure that out first.

Insurance is going to vary a lot depending on physical location, what is covered under your policy, who you go through, etc... A minimum of 1M in liability is required/recommended (can't remember which.)

Thanks for all of your good info! I seriously wonder if the FAA knows how f'ing STUPID they make themselves look with this garbage they come up with? Any 10 year old can fly a drone, but they require a pilots license to simply film a house? I'm no expert yet. Ive never physically flown a plane but have thousands of hours in a very realistic flight simulator. I bet you you could maybe confirm something for me. There is absolutely NOTHING about flying a plane that has anything to do with flying a drone. Being a "pilot" of an airplane entails waaaay more technical knowledge and skill than is required to fly a drone. Drone meaning, in most cases that equate to what we want to do, is nothing more than a fancy, hi-tech toy.

Ok, rant over, lol! I am in serious need of a new career and am really interested in this. I think it could be both something I enjoy and could make good money with it. But I am on a very tight budget. I spend all day looking at this stuff and one minute it's "Yes! I can do this!" and the next I find a post like yours showing me I absolutely don't have what I need to get into it. I keep getting mixed info. (I/e,,,the FAA restriction needing a pilots license is a "rule" to them, but is actually a RECOMMENDATION, there is actually no LAW written saying you do.) I know I need liability insurance. How much does that cost? You had a lawyer write up your 333, are there special aviation lawyers I should seek out, or can any lawyer do it? And you said its unlikely you can get a 333 without a lawyer doing it for you. Does FAA frown on applications that weren't, or is it just that the typical Joe Blow is going to miss things a lawyer wouldn't and app gets rejected? I hate to swamp you with questions but I'm pretty lost here. Like you, I'm a vet but I didn't use my GI Bill within 10 years of discharge so I lost it. So I won't have that option to help pay for this. I REALLY want to get into this, and don't get me wrong, a Phantom 3 Proffessional would be a pretty friggin sweet toy. But I'm in no position to buy $1,200 "toys", if It can't be something I can turn into a money producer in the near future, lol!

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct. Filming large property or million dollar houses is what helps sell the property, you can't get the feel just from standing in front looking at it. I get the feeling some readers don't understand that. We that do it professionally put a lot of money into this trade and for someone to just buy a drone and film and sell is a slap in the face for us that do it legally not to mention a heavy fine if they get caught.
I'm not trying to be mean but it's a business for us.

You don't need a PL to get the exemption.

You need a PL to operated the aircraft.

Agreed. I'm not jumping through all these stupid hoops, paying out the butt for insurance, license, and everything else that goes along with operating legally, just to have some Joe produce a crappy video and sell it at a fraction of the cost.

You are absolutely correct. Filming large property or million dollar houses is what helps sell the property, you can't get the feel just from standing in front looking at it. I get the feeling some readers don't understand that. We that do it professionally put a lot of money into this trade and for someone to just buy a drone and film and sell is a slap in the face for us that do it legally not to mention a heavy fine if they get caught.
I'm not trying to be mean but it's a business for us.

Last edited:
Sorry but you make zero sense. People who buy high end homes here where I live are for the most part smart enough to realize their looking at video of the property they're interested in buying. I don't think you actually understand the depth of the marketing involved in moving multi million dollar properties. Everything from 360 degree high definition walk-throughs in real time to aerial videography showcasing the structure and property (and surrounding area) takes real estate marketing to a whole other level, obviously far above and beyond anything you've been involved with in selling off your 75 properties.
Bring able to showcase these on the web and marketing to potential buyers outside of the local market (read international) just seems to make the case for it.
In regards to Realtors and lying; all I can say is that most here seem to prefer doing things by the book, and have already been warned by their own organisations to be sure to.

You are right' most realtors go by the book. I know because I have 5 years experience in the industry. Like all trades, YES, there is some lying and dishonesty in the trade. But we are so closely regulated and people are so quick to want to nail us to benefit them, you BETTER play by the rules because you're screwed if you don't.

And from a realtors perspective, I absolutely see the benefit of aerial footage, in many aspects of real estate. No, the average slum lord selling off their 75 shacks would haven't need for it. This is going to be for high dollar homes that have something special to show. And there are plenty of them.

Gary if you're interested look up Gowdy Brothers they did my exemption, $1500, very good very knowledgeable will take you through the whole process

Drone footage only makes up a small part of a real estate video, and it's not just of roofs. Try and sell a 900 acre ranch without aerials, or a multi-million dollar listing on a lake with a club house and other amenities. Fact is real estate video with drones is very lucrative. I charge a minimum of $400 up to several thousand depending on the size and production value wanted by the client.

To answer the original question. If there isn't any money, goods or services exchanged for the aerial and you simply give them to your agent, I think you should be fine.
I suppose one can always come up with a series of issues that looks relevant. But I own acreage in timber. I am not large. But we have family members with holdings of 8,000 acres of Douglas fir. It is managed by large corporations for them. They have helicopters and do logging by helicopter on contract. A drone would be silly there.

The holdings have been well documented for a century and a quarter anyway.

Most of you guys are going on about houses. $400 is not really money around here. Our latest urban purchase was 10 acres zoned multi-family at 2.8 mil. It is already covered by city photography. Not that anyone cares. It will scraped to the ground and rebuilt all the way up. The net should be around $75 mil. I can get a conventional fixed wing tourist plane ride for $50.

We don't work with Realators. We have a legal team.

I fly over wilderness for a hobby. I can think of no reason in the world for a contractor to go into Real estate drones over the building trades or law. These projects are just investments. I am a professor.

You are right' most realtors go by the book. I know because I have 5 years experience in the industry. Like all trades, YES, there is some lying and dishonesty in the trade. But we are so closely regulated and people are so quick to want to nail us to benefit them, you BETTER play by the rules because you're screwed if you don't.

And from a realtors perspective, I absolutely see the benefit of aerial footage, in many aspects of real estate. No, the average slum lord selling off their 75 shacks would haven't need for it. This is going to be for high dollar homes that have something special to show. And there are plenty of them.
No matter what Realtors say going on about "rules" their listings are legally disclaimed from liability. They just use the "to the best of my knowledge" argument. We are just closing on an urban purchase with 350 owners. Are you going to tell me the Realator you are talking to, who led yo to the sellers realator, knows the facts on that?

You don't need a PL to get the exemption.

You need a PL to operated the aircraft.
YES. I was trying to make that point earlier in another way. The exemption only exposes you to more liability when you illegally fly the thing over a populated area anyway. It is not a building permit for which you are a contractor who has furnished bond and insurance to "work". Nor does it permit you to fly over MY head or MY property against my will.

People can say all the crap they want. But then I'm not selling services. I'm a customer.

I think the balloon idea for real estate is great. A CCD buttonhole camera on a small weather balloon would cost about $100 and be free of all the legal issues.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
It is relevant... It's a fact that quality video/lifestyle branded tours help sell high-end real estate. I'm not talking about some group investment, like you are referring to; I'm talking about multi-million dollar properties being sold by an agent for a private client. What would be silly is spending several thousand dollars on operating expenses for a helicopter for surveying a potential logging plot, as opposed to using a cheap drone for the survey... Drone's aren't the solution to everything, but they are an excellent and smart business investment for a lot of things.

I suppose one can always come up with a series of issues that looks relevant. But I own acreage in timber. I am not large. But we have family members with holdings of 8,000 acres of Douglas fir. It is managed by large corporations for them. They have helicopters and do logging by helicopter on contract. A drone would be silly there.

The holdings have been well documented for a century and a quarter anyway.

Most of you guys are going on about houses. $400 is not really money around here. Our latest urban purchase was 10 acres zoned multi-family at 2.8 mil. It is already covered by city photography. Not that anyone cares. It will scraped to the ground and rebuilt all the way up. The net should be around $75 mil. I can get a conventional fixed wing tourist plane ride for $50.

We don't work with Realators. We have a legal team.

I fly over wilderness for a hobby. I can think of no reason in the world for a contractor to go into Real estate drones over the building trades or law. These projects are just investments. I am a professor.

Last edited:
It is relevant... It's a fact that quality video/lifestyle branded tours help sell high-end real estate. I'm not talking about some group investment crap, like you are referring to; I'm talking about multi-million dollar properties being sold by an agent for a private client. My family has holdings in oil, real estate, and other business ventures, what's your point? What would be silly is spending several thousand dollars on operating expenses for a helicopter for surveying a potential logging plot, as opposed to using a cheap drone for the survey... Drone's aren't the solution to everything, but they are an excellent and smart business investment for a lot of things.

$400 is just the start for a half-mil house and a couple hours worth of work. How about $7,000 for a 1.5 min video of a 16 million dollar house? It's not crazy money, but as far as real estate photography goes, that's not bad. Again, you are talking about situations where drone videography wouldn't make sense, which is why it doesn't make sense....

Your thought-process is very narrow-minded, which is probably why you can't seem to comprehend the potential, and that's okay, just leave it to the professionals. ;)
Let me clarify. I manage my holdings from my TV entertainment room.

The pictures of almost everything already exist. The helicopters are up there anyway. The costs are born by government in fire prevention.

The ten acre project I mention is being consolidated from 350 owners to only four. It is in the sky scraper district of a major city.

The timber is managed by contractors. If I need a picture I call them and have it brought over. We have stereo satellite photos of almost every square inch of the United States at any engineering university library. This has been the case for decades.

A lot of people are trying to monetize toy planes. The FAA has created a category for those. It will sell you a permit to take pictures too. But I don't see how that is going to work out to gainful employment to hoards of guys with drones.

I enjoy building drones and a lot of other things. I have built about 15 of them. There are better designs for these tasks.

Oh yes, Last night I was visiting with a young lady on facebook. She suddenly produced a perfectly adequate aerial picture of her house in abut 10 seconds via cell phone. If I need one of my house I'll send her a note and save the costs of paying you.

Last edited:
Let me clarify. I manage my holdings from my TV entertainment room.

The pictures of almost everything already exist. The helicopters are up there anyway. The costs are born by government in fire prevention.

The ten acre project I mention is being consolidated from 350 owners to only four. It is in the sky scraper district of a major city.

The timber is managed by contractors. If I need a picture I call them and have it brought over. We have stereo satellite photos of almost every square inch of the United States at any engineering university library. This has been the case for decades.

A lot of people are trying to monetize toy planes. The FAA has created a category for those. It will sell you a permit to take pictures too. But I don't see how that is going to work out to gainful employment to hoards of guys with drones.

I enjoy building drones and a lot of other things. I have built about 15 of them. There are better designs for these tasks.

Oh yes, Last night I was visiting with a young lady on facebook. She suddenly produced a perfectly adequate aerial picture of her house in abut 10 seconds via cell phone. If I need one of my house I'll send her a note and save the costs of paying you.
Google Earth.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik