Real estate shoot charge?

Aerial photography and videos are just one potential part of a photography package, and it only makes sense with a minority of properties. Who is making the hiring decision in most cases? The Real Estate Agent. Do they already have a relationship with a photographer or are a DIY agent, yes. Do they see the value in aerials? Maybe not.

You can get an entire home (25 photos inside and out) professionally photographed where they use expensive wide angle lenses that cost as much as your drone, and do post-production to make it look really really good, for..... $150! That's because they can be in and out in under an hour.

Is the agent going to want to spend an additional 200% just for some aerials? In most cases and most homes, no (unless it's only $50 which in my opinion that price is a crock.) Is the agent going to want to have to schedule two appointments, one with the Drone guys and one with the Photographer? No. So in other words, "GOOD LUCK!"

I contacted some companies in my area, told them I wanted the whole enchillada, aerial photos/video, interior video walkthrough, and interior/exterior photos comparable to the best Real Estate photographers out there. 3 of the 6 responses said $200. Two were $250 and one was $350.

Let's estimate what might be an "average" job cost for say a 2,500 sq ft 4-bedroom house.

Discussing job with client, putting together contract, planning the shoot/flight, scheduling, etc. - 0.5 hr

Travel time 1 hr total. Let's assume you have other jobs in the area. In reality for most people that don't have multiple jobs in the same area, and you live in a city with lots of congestion, 1 hour could be pretty low.

Aerial shoot (unpack, checklist, flight, pack up) - 1 hr

Interior (unpack, staging/lighting adjustments, photo/video walk through shoot, pack up) - 1.5 hours

Post Production of aerial video, interior walkthrough, and 25 still photos - 2 hours minimum I would say

Delivery of finished product and discussion with client, billing - 30 min

Total time = 6.5 hours @ $250 a job = $38/hour *GROSS* revenue. Now subtract all your overhead costs like depreciation of all your equipment, automobile operation costs, business expenses like utilities, advertising, insurance, yada yada. Maybe net $20/hr which is about the equivalent of a $20K a year salary IF you did it 8 hours a day 5 days a week 50 weeks a year.

In my opinion, those are prices from people involved in a hobby, not a business. If there are enough hobbyist willing to charge next to nothing, it will never be worthwhile as a business to pay the bills.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I shoot a fair number of lake properties for a buddy that's a realtor. I mostly do it for beers. I already have a job, but I enjoy an excuse to put the drone up with a challenging purpose. The orbit mode and waypoints with POI makes it a whole different ballgame compared to my P2V+.

Hey!
So a mutual friend of mine wanted me to take still shots for a few properties he is selling. I was not sure how much I should charge for such work. I would say about two hours worth of work give or take?
I am a photographer by trade but have never done drone work for monetary gains before.
Any suggestions?

If this is in the wrong section of the forum, I do apologize!
Hi there....In Duluth MN I charge $270 for still drone photographs. It takes about 15 minutes which gives me plenty of time to land safely and not hurry. Usually I will do a 360 at about 100 feet and then go up to 350 feet and do the same. I shoot for the real estate agents and I send them perhaps 10 photos. They don't need many.

Just an update, our market is stupid here, we have a guy willing to give away his time and service. Videos, typically are not edited. I have only one agent that uses me, and then only on high dollar water front property. Not a market I want to be in.

Just an update, our market is stupid here, we have a guy willing to give away his time and service. Videos, typically are not edited. I have only one agent that uses me, and then only on high dollar water front property. Not a market I want to be in.
Might pay for some extra batteries and allow you to write off your drone purchase against ordinary income, but certainly not a lucrative business opportunity.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hey!
So a mutual friend of mine wanted me to take still shots for a few properties he is selling. I was not sure how much I should charge for such work. I would say about two hours worth of work give or take?
I am a photographer by trade but have never done drone work for monetary gains before.
Any suggestions?

If this is in the wrong section of the forum, I do apologize!
If he's your friend Do the flying for "free" as a hobbyist and charge him for consulting. No need to get your 107 just to shoot a friends house. If he just wants stills charge him 150 to 250.

If he's your friend Do the flying for "free" as a hobbyist and charge him for consulting. No need to get your 107 just to shoot a friends house. If he just wants stills charge him 150 to 250.

Sorry but that doesn't work. The FAA closed all loop holes many moons ago. The INTENT of the flight is what determines if Commercial or Hobby regardless if you make a single penny or not.

I charge $200 for a 90 to 120 second video, post production editing, etc. For stills I add $50 for 10 stills of the property (single family home). For photos only I'll charge $80 for me to show up, fly, shoot some photos, and deliver a gallery of 20 to 30 photos from which they can choose their favorite 10.

I relatively inexpensive right now, but I'm growing a small customer base with some builders and realtors to get consistent business. Spring and summer are looking promising.

In my opinion, those are prices from people involved in a hobby, not a business. If there are enough hobbyist willing to charge next to nothing, it will never be worthwhile as a business to pay the bills.

Exactly - Too many good for nothing hobbyists thinking they'll make some quick beer money off of their toy, and in the process they **** things up for the true professionals.

Exactly - Too many good for nothing hobbyists thinking they'll make some quick beer money off of their toy, and in the process they **** things up for the true professionals.
Yes, they had to operate under the radar before, without a $10,000 Sports Pilot license. Now, for $250 and a weekend's study, they are also legal! :rolleyes:

Here in Aus, it's even easier. Apply to CASA for an aviation reference number -free. Inform them at least 5 days prior that you are conducting commercial flights. As long as your UAV is under 2kg, you can now fly commercially. The only drawback is that you are still restricted to flying under the hobby guidelines, but you are now allowed to charge.

Reactions: BigAl07
The other factors are all the built-in autonomous flight modes and safety measures that make it much easier for a newbie to achieve professional results (at least acceptable) with little or no skill, and minimal risk. The previous client or future prospect can now cut out the middle man completely, and buy his own drone, and fly the missions himself, for less than the price of a single professional shoot. :cool:

R u saying if I am a Real Estate agent I can use a Drone that I own to take photos of "ONLY" my properties that I sell " Not For Hire". With out a 107?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj