Reading The Weather Before You Fly

Reaction score
It was supposed to rain all weekend. Bummer. But the weather app on my phone seemed to indicate I had a window to fly the other morning sans rain. I got up early to take advantage of the light and the lack of rain. Alas, there was fog and less than 3 miles visibility. No flying. But it still looked promising a little later so I charged up the batteries to be ready.

Once the fog cooked off I went outside to fly. Did my little pre-flight and setup and was ready for take-off! The flight lasted less than 2 minutes! I'm in the sky getting ready to set up my shot (adjusting the camera) and then I notice raindrops are beginning to fall. I quickly began the descent of the Phantom but it wasn't fast enough. The rain came fast and furious. I was able to protect the Phantom after landing by moving it under the Hoodman Landing Pad (that's the orange thingy in the video). That kept it reasonably dry. Then I packed up the controller and the other kit and raced to the house.

So the moral of my tale is to learn to read the sky for local weather before you fly. The sky was grey and black to the West and South. I didn't realize how close it was.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20