Rant - Compass Fix

Reaction score
Where is the outrage and push to have DJI release the firmware 3.05 ( beta ) that according to the beta testers fixes the j hooking and TBE on the phantoms.
The person and persons involved in bringing the issue to DJI aren't pushing for the firmware to be released because they have it and are flying straight and without TBE.
I know and don't tell me it's a firmware that's not finished.... When has that stopped DJI from releasing firmwares in the past and letting everyone see the effects if the fix and if tweaks need to be made by DJI they can do it while the firmware is out.
I spent my $869 plus all the DJI add ons ($1500 total) like thousands of others and I speak for myself I want the fix out. It's in the 4th. month now !! By the time the firmware comes out DJI will be putting out a newer version of the phantom. Remember when the first zenmuse gimbal came out ! All the problems and DJI never fixed it but many many months later they came out with a newer version zenmuse.
Yes I am pissed, I'm on the east coast of the USA and it's bad ( compass issues ).

Lenny7118 said:
Where is the outrage and push to have DJI release the firmware 3.05 ( beta ) that according to the beta testers fixes the j hooking and TBE on the phantoms.
The person and persons involved in bringing the issue to DJI aren't pushing for the firmware to be released because they have it and are flying straight and without TBE.
I know and don't tell me it's a firmware that's not finished.... When has that stopped DJI from releasing firmwares in the past and letting everyone see the effects if the fix and if tweaks need to be made by DJI they can do it while the firmware is out.
I spent my $869 plus all the DJI add ons ($1500 total) like thousands of others and I speak for myself I want the fix out. It's in the 4th. month now !! By the time the firmware comes out DJI will be putting out a newer version of the phantom. Remember when the first zenmuse gimbal came out ! All the problems and DJI never fixed it but many many months later they came out with a newer version zenmuse.
Yes I am pissed, I'm on the east coast of the USA and it's bad ( compass issues ).

Apparently the thinking is that since they are "working on it", and have provided a beta, it would be counter-productive to continue the Project (bitching). I disagree with this thinking and think that it is silly to assume that DJI is putting in the required effort to provide the fix given their history. But you and I are in the minority presumably. I am sure a fix will be made public at some point. At this point I am thinking probably another month or two.

It's a pretty messed up situation. :(

I supported Drunken Sparrow from the start, engaged in the thread, posted on DJI facebook page, did what was asked of me.

Weren't chosen to be involved. Wasn't part of the extended invitation group.

Sent a PM to Ian asking to be involved. Never got an answer.

He's a solid guy doing some wonderful work, but he's not feeding the troops.

Open the ******* BETA !!!

BigBadFun said:
It's a pretty messed up situation. :(

I supported Drunken Sparrow from the start, engaged in the thread, posted on DJI facebook page, did what was asked of me.

Weren't chosen to be involved. Wasn't part of the extended invitation group.

Sent a PM to Ian asking to be involved. Never got an answer.

He's a solid guy doing some wonderful work, but he's not feeding the troops.

Open the ******* BETA !!!

Thanks ! Where are all the others ? Come on and let it out , ***** for the beta to be released. The testers are done and satisfied ( don't care anymore ) but all of us without the fix continue to fly with an unsafe product and also in deep risk of crashing and loosing $$$$.

Summer is here and will be over before a fix is released if ever.

+1 to all of you.

Having written and debugged a lot of code in my days, and seen symptoms of a lot of complex HW/FW/SW bugs, my assumptions at this point are:
1) DJI either has no talented engineers or the talented ones are working on something other than the compass issue (can you say "revenue"?)
2) It is not rocket science finding insidious bugs in complex HW/FW/SW systems. For the right mind, it's actually a very stimulating puzzle, that will drive one to eschew sleep, food, alcohol, even sex in the heat of a good bug jihad.
3) If the company had its **** together in the first place in the R&D, QA, Release methodology, this bug and attendant fix would have sailed through a well-oiled machined in a few weeks, months ago.
4) Don't agree with arguments about how complex releasing FW (or SW) can be. With so many customers impacted and bitching *and* supporting the diagnosis process, there is simply no excuse for why this has taken so long and 3.05 is only a partial fix.
5) I suspect their code is a mess, that it's bubble gum and band-aids everywhere, and they have very little source control / revision control / regression methodology discipline in place to insure quality. Which unfortunately means we are likely to see many such quality issues for years to come.
6) Disagree with the kid gloves approach because they are trying ["hard, really they are"].
7) Disagree that being nice increases the likelihood of fast and correct solution for all.
8) Suggest Project Drunken Sparrow be retired in favor of Project Hungry Hawk, whose attorney is licking his chops over growing class action momentum/evidence/opportunity.
9) If I were counsel to DJI, and following this daily, I would advise my client that from a systems failure analysis standpoint and from a legal liability standpoint the company's exposure is less with 3.05 released as is than waiting for 3.06.
10) If I were VP of Marketing at DJI, I would be screaming at the CEO and board that we are killing our reputation in an exploding market, and opening the doors wide to any/all competitors to take our very frustrated customer base away very soon.

Kelly

Another thing that is frustrating is how the first reaction to the beta was that is was great and the problem was 90% fixed. Now, after random others were asked to test it, there seem to be all of these mysterious issues, all of which are apparent in other versions of the firmware. So what we have now are the testers, instead of taking the solution we were given, are essentially trying to solve a multitude of other issues not even related to the J-hook problem! Now they are going to report these back to DJI, another beta will be issued, tested and more problems reported and we will NEVER get a public fix.

Edit: In North Americal, Beginning June 22, Daylight hours for flying will be getting shorter. :mrgreen:

Not sure if I want Phantom Phrustation the rest of the summer.

wkf94025 said:
+1 to all of you.

Having written and debugged a lot of code in my days, and seen symptoms of a lot of complex HW/FW/SW bugs, my assumptions at this point are:
1) DJI either has no talented engineers or the talented ones are working on something other than the compass issue (can you say "revenue"?)
2) It is not rocket science finding insidious bugs in complex HW/FW/SW systems. For the right mind, it's actually a very stimulating puzzle, that will drive one to eschew sleep, food, alcohol, even sex in the heat of a good bug jihad.
3) If the company had its **** together in the first place in the R&D, QA, Release methodology, this bug and attendant fix would have sailed through a well-oiled machined in a few weeks, months ago.
4) Don't agree with arguments about how complex releasing FW (or SW) can be. With so many customers impacted and bitching *and* supporting the diagnosis process, there is simply no excuse for why this has taken so long and 3.05 is only a partial fix.
5) I suspect their code is a mess, that it's bubble gum and band-aids everywhere, and they have very little source control / revision control / regression methodology discipline in place to insure quality. Which unfortunately means we are likely to see many such quality issues for years to come.
6) Disagree with the kid gloves approach because they are trying ["hard, really they are"].
7) Disagree that being nice increases the likelihood of fast and correct solution for all.
8) Suggest Project Drunken Sparrow be retired in favor of Project Hungry Hawk, whose attorney is licking his chops over growing class action momentum/evidence/opportunity.
9) If I were counsel to DJI, and following this daily, I would advise my client that from a systems failure analysis standpoint and from a legal liability standpoint the company's exposure is less with 3.05 released as is than waiting for 3.06.
10) If I were VP of Marketing at DJI, I would be screaming at the CEO and board that we are killing our reputation in an exploding market, and opening the doors wide to any/all competitors to take our very frustrated customer base away very soon.

Kelly

That's how I see it as well. I suspect someone is working on it in a very casual way. Possibly some kid that has no clue what he is doing.

This is probably not a real solution, but if there was a way to launch a class-action lawsuit against DJI, that would ultimately solve this - even just the threat of one. However, they're based in China and that complicates things :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl