Range versus speed

Reaction score
I am having a great time with my 4. Sport mode is very fast , my go app has recorded once 85 mph with a wind, not kidding. I just wanted to know if anyone had done a comparison between speed and distance , at what speed do you get the longest distance. I normally fly about 17-19 miles per hour and can get well over 26-28 thousand feet and get back with about 25% of battery remaining. I understand that the faster you go , the shorter the distance. But has anyone compared speed versus distance? If this were a car at what speed do you think you get the best fuel economy?
thanks
Don H

I am having a great time with my 4. Sport mode is very fast , my go app has recorded once 85 mph with a wind, not kidding. I just wanted to know if anyone had done a comparison between speed and distance , at what speed do you get the longest distance. I normally fly about 17-19 miles per hour and can get well over 26-28 thousand feet and get back with about 25% of battery remaining. I understand that the faster you go , the shorter the distance. But has anyone compared speed versus distance? If this were a car at what speed do you think you get the best fuel economy?
thanks
Don H

Hi Don
Did you say 26,000 feet, that's 5 miles, with just an unmoded P4 that is extraordinary, you didn't mean 2800 feet ( half a mile ) did you, you must be at quite an altitude to do that... :)
Waylander

Yes, I do those distances also the my stock P4, often past 30K' flight length.

I believe the consensus has been 28-30mph in ATTI mode, level flight, no wind, will maximize distance.

Reactions: David Kraft
Yes, I do those distances also the my stock P4, often past 30K' flight length.

I believe the consensus has been 28-30mph in ATTI mode, level flight, no wind, will maximize distance.
Yep 28-30 mph, for me. My top flew total over 43,000 feet total for 23 minutes some seconds and landed at 8%. My speed was not always constant, start off slower to let batteries warm up with a slow gradual climb as I head out for my target, as I reach my max distance at max elevation (400 feet) start comming back looking at this and that and slow decent back home.

To Waylander
I live out in the county. about 6 miles from a small town, very little WI-FI not much interference , to be fair I use the $20 antenna boosters that I got off amazon, but because I fly in a triangle route mostly the max distance from the home point is rarely over 2.5 miles. I live on a bit of hill but not much , so I rarely get above 150 to 200 feet. I find much above 150, the pictures and video are not much to look at. I normally fly in GPS mode , but will give ATTI a try. thanks to all that responded
don

To Waylander
I live out in the county. about 6 miles from a small town, very little WI-FI not much interference , to be fair I use the $20 antenna boosters that I got off amazon, but because I fly in a triangle route mostly the max distance from the home point is rarely over 2.5 miles. I live on a bit of hill but not much , so I rarely get above 150 to 200 feet. I find much above 150, the pictures and video are not much to look at. I normally fly in GPS mode , but will give ATTI a try. thanks to all that responded
don

Hi Don

Wow... I see from yourself and other OP's that the range of the P4 is quite impressive, I have a P3P, but where I live it is Very hilly, with lots of cell tower repeaters, I've never got out beyond 2000 feet before signal strength warnings occur, so 2.5 miles is still awesome to me, I've been looking at the Maxx UAV booster system to get more range.
By way of comparison what kind of range do you get without the antenna boosters...?
Waylander

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31