Range Mods

Dunno where people get their info - but this is direct from DJI own site for P3S :

REMOTE CONTROLLER
Operating Frequency 5.725 - 5.825 GHz, 922.7 - 927.7 MHz (Japan)
Max Transmission Distance FCC: 1000 m
CE: 500 m
(outdoors and unobstructed, aircraft's altitude at 400 feet (120 m))
Operating Temperature Range 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)
Battery 2600 mAh LiPo 18650
Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • FCC: 19 dBm
  • CE: 14 dBm
Operating Current/Voltage 600 [email protected]
Charging Port Micro USB

Note the FCC and CE are clearly stated as LOWER than 27dbm for control power.

Nigel
Yes, but what about the 2.4 GHz signal, that's what is at 27 dbm in FCC mode. That's what the screen shot above is referring to.

I should of checked my controller power before I did the Magic Power mod last night, but right now I am getting 27 dbm and i was able to do my longest flight today at 2000 feet. This is a highly urbanized environment, cell phone towers, electrical lines, and numerous and numerous wifi signals everywhere. I thought it worked pretty well!!

I decided to check out the ARGtek mod since it has multiple antennas, that way you can try and experiment with long range runs with the flat panels or you can put the omni's on and have a more secure connection for flying around your area (i.e. max 1000 feet without having to point the rc all around the place)

Yes, but what about the 2.4 GHz signal, that's what is at 27 dbm in FCC mode. That's what the screen shot above is referring to.

My post was quick and short ... but aimed at a general information shot. Not particularly at your page shot.

What I find strange is that Maguc and Icarus ignore the 5.8Ghz power and only up the WiFi 2.4Ghz ...

Just a comment : Interestingly that WiFi is available on both 2.4 and 5.8Ghz (not talking about DJI now) ..... so what is DJI 5.8Ghz ? I doubt DJI have developed an alternative .... especially that 2.4 and 5.8Ghz require Frequency Hopping to avoid interference from other DJI gear or items on 2.4 and 5.8Ghz ...

Nigel

Awhile back I was writing the people that made the Icarus app with a few questions, here's part of their reply back on the subject of the 2.4 GHz signal.
"Dear Mr. M

"Thanks a lot for your detailed report.

We have understood the reason of that and a fix is already being released.
In the meantime we want to clarify that FCC regulations for the 2.4GHz
ISM band allow up to 30 dBm output power fed into the antenna. Having
a transmit power of 27 dBm does not break any rule neither it is
harmful for the drone since this is the DJI default value.
Best Regards"

My reply back, "So when they say that FCC mode for the Phantom 3 is 20 dBm that is only for the control 5.8GHz ?? Also for us in the US in FCC mode anything under 27dBm is a downgrade with the wifi ? I thought the wifi EIRP was 100mW (20 dBm) ?"

Their reply,
"Dear Mr. M
due to a bug we are just fixing now the DJI firmware can, in given circumstances, reset the 2.4GHz power to its desired value.
The Icarus app sets the txpower after boot and rely on the patch; so, if your set values change during flight its due to the DJI.
This means also that 27 dBm is the DJI set value for FCC, setting anything under that is actually downgrading the device.
We will keep you informed as soon as the fix will be released.
Thank you and Best Regards."

Last edited:
Dunno where people get their info - but this is direct from DJI own site for P3S :

REMOTE CONTROLLER
Operating Frequency 5.725 - 5.825 GHz, 922.7 - 927.7 MHz (Japan)
Max Transmission Distance FCC: 1000 m
CE: 500 m
(outdoors and unobstructed, aircraft's altitude at 400 feet (120 m))
Operating Temperature Range 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)
Battery 2600 mAh LiPo 18650
Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • FCC: 19 dBm
  • CE: 14 dBm
Operating Current/Voltage 600 [email protected]
Charging Port Micro USB

Note the FCC and CE are clearly stated as LOWER than 27dbm for control power.

Nigel
So the 5.8ghz control is at 19dbm and the 2.4ghz live video feed is already at 27 dbm in the US?

So the 5.8ghz control is at 19dbm and the 2.4ghz live video feed is already at 27 dbm in the US?

That is how I understand it.

Also that Icarus say that 'other' software is a repeating corrector ... that we alter the power - but GPS position in the FW flips it back to DJI setting ... few secs later software patch flips it back to power level we set.
Icarus though flips the power to our chosen setting and it stays set.

Like most - I have no way of confirming their statement. But I do know that Icarus works. A second matter I like is that Icarus is on the Android .... doesn't have to be - you can delete after use - but keeping it means you can alter in the field if needed ... Magic needs a PC ...

Nigel

That is how I understand it.

So then none of these software mods will increase the 5.8 ghz power rating. So when I check my tx power with telenet and it says txpower 27dbm, that is the 2.4 ghz wifi power, which was already set at 27dbm by dji....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT