Range Mods

Reaction score
So I have a question about all the different range mods. I understand to pull huge distances, its fly straight out and back. So where I live, its Atlanta suburbs with hilly terrain and lots of trees, so straight out and back for me isn't as interesting or fun as flying around the area to find small ponds and things like that.

So my question is, does anyone do these mods with the hope of just getting more range to fly around and actually point the camera at things and fly different routes, or are the range mods just for setting record distances?

Thanks
attached is an obligatory pic of scenery!

Attachments

• DJI_0056-HDR.jpg
    DJI_0056-HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 352
Reactions: RemarK
Also to help going through trees, and brush. That is the main reason I did it. I like the challenge of going long distance, but that can lead to some serious problems if not done right. Lot of low flying aircraft up here. Some thing msinger pointed out was that if you do loose signal it will return, if you have done your part. I was worried about landing behind trees and would start to loose signal. I stopped. Now I push it knowing if I loose the signal, if will come back. Try it.

I fitted an unboosted antenna set up for better penetration in the forest where I live and went from 450mtrs to over 800 mtrs as I wanted to acces parts of the area that were not possible with the original configuration. I did manage a 6klm run out in the open but have no plans to mix it up with some of the top feeders on this forum.

I fitted an unboosted antenna set up for better penetration in the forest where I live and went from 450mtrs to over 800 mtrs as I wanted to acces parts of the area that were not possible with the original configuration. I did manage a 6klm run out in the open but have no plans to mix it up with some of the top feeders on this forum.

Which antenna did you use?

Also to help going through trees, and brush. That is the main reason I did it. I like the challenge of going long distance, but that can lead to some serious problems if not done right. Lot of low flying aircraft up here. Some thing msinger pointed out was that if you do loose signal it will return, if you have done your part. I was worried about landing behind trees and would start to loose signal. I stopped. Now I push it knowing if I loose the signal, if will come back. Try it.
I agree, going lost distance is pretty cool. I have taken it until it loses signal and then it RTH just fine. I keep it around 300 feet or so, to make sure i'm nice and clear of any trees and hills in my area (already learned the hardway that hills and trees add up quickly!) I have argtek antennas and omni antennas on the bird (had to install them due to my crash) and was thinking of adding dipole antennas to the bird and seeing how that works. I am able to get to 1,500 feet before it cuts out, but that is through a lot of trees, residential WIFI signals, not to mention some high tension power lines about 1000 feet away.

I use the Maxx Itelite boosted. Want to keep it as low as possible to keep away from UFO's. If you run short on tourist I would be happy to send you a couple 100,000's. :D

Reactions: JohnnyB and yjander
I use the Maxx Itelite boosted. Want to keep it as low as possible to keep away from UFO's. If you run short on tourist I would be happy to send you a couple 100,000's. :D
And I like to mix it with the planets occasionally to get some decent range. More than happy to pass on the tourists, my township has 150 souls and that's enough . I thought Anchorage had fewer people than here, more polar bears than humans......

Not correct. The USA factory default is 20dbm and it can be boosted to 27dbm with magic power. I set mine at the program's default of 24dbm. I was told even set at only 24, it would automatically ramp up to 27, if it loses signal.
Correct, today was my second day with my P3S, just pushed the Magic Power update before heading out. I didn't fully test the limits but managed 390ft altitude at 1,900 ft away at my RC Club tonight. RC Club is on the property of a 5,500' municipal runway airport. Impressed with the low light performance.

Attachments

• DJI_0017.JPG
    DJI_0017.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 251
  • DJI_0012.JPG
    DJI_0012.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 232
  • DJI_0006.JPG
    DJI_0006.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 261
Reactions: yjander
Correct, today was my second day with my P3S, just pushed the Magic Power update before heading out. I didn't fully test the limits but managed 390ft altitude at 1,900 ft away at my RC Club tonight. RC Club is on the property of a 5,500' municipal runway airport. Impressed with the low light performance.
Awesome pics! Wish I had someplace like that to fly!

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Magic power impacts the 2.4 band, which means it boosts the video feed dbm and not the control feed. It shouldn't impact control distance in the slightest if I'm reading the creators post right.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Not correct. The USA factory default is 20dbm and it can be boosted to 27dbm with magic power. I set mine at the program's default of 24dbm. I was told even set at only 24, it would automatically ramp up to 27, if it loses signal.
No completely correct. In the US with FCC mode the RC signal 5.8 GHz is at 20dbm, but the wifi 2.4 GHz is at 27 dbm.
Look at the side of this screen shot. On the spec page for the P3S, it outlines the two power ratings for the 5.8GHz (CE + FCC), but on the wifi 2.4 GHz they forget to do that and only display one power rating for the CE mode.
watts on P3S.jpg

Reactions: Matts175
Just so I'm clear, the magic power mod only helps those in the ce region and won't do much for the usa users?

Sent from my VS987 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I agree with this statement. The only real plus is that you can change wifi channels.
Now with the Icarus app you can go up to 30dbm (too high), maybe 28 or 29 at the most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matts175
Dunno where people get their info - but this is direct from DJI own site for P3S :

REMOTE CONTROLLER
Operating Frequency 5.725 - 5.825 GHz, 922.7 - 927.7 MHz (Japan)
Max Transmission Distance FCC: 1000 m
CE: 500 m
(outdoors and unobstructed, aircraft's altitude at 400 feet (120 m))
Operating Temperature Range 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C)
Battery 2600 mAh LiPo 18650
Transmitter Power (EIRP)
  • FCC: 19 dBm
  • CE: 14 dBm
Operating Current/Voltage 600 [email protected]
Charging Port Micro USB

Note the FCC and CE are clearly stated as LOWER than 27dbm for control power.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20