Range issue

I'm kind of jumping ahead.
I got a test for try, but before that.

Are you using a Android or IOS for your mobile device, I am sure I know the answer, but I will tell you if I'm wrong.
Do you know how to download your flight logs from your mobile device, and of coarse you need to post them.

BTW, you ever been here.

I'm done for the day.

Rod..

This was still on my screen this morning I guess I was done for the day :rolleyes:

Ha yip I try those back in 2019,slightly different on the model number but same thing .,View attachment 125146View attachment 125147View attachment 125148
Yip they were cheap and get what you pay for,Those panels never change my issue and I ended up trying another cheap Argtec triple antennas which improved and work like stock should work,,out to 1km without no issues(far enough 4 me) ,,these panels non boosted unlike upmarket ones like Sunhams which have own power supply to actually amplify and boost or they hopeless
500ft pretty sad for a phantom,easy to open remote and check they plugged in correct plug,
Yeh sounds like your mate was trying to improve it aswell,,lots of Brands about ,maybe have look around at something in your budget and get something apart from the panels to try,,I'm sure you see improvement, panel might be ok for close activity but no good for any distance (that's my opinion)
Just add Itelite good trusted brand,,can get p3s kits,Had one on the p4 ,already did the Argtec on p3s or that would have got one too,,
Have look at Argtec sets and try find something like my triples , then you dont have to open remote,just screw them onto existing terminals on remote,,if you change kit you need to open remote and change antenna wires and mounting,it look like my remote with extra holes from previous attempts
Ok I will definitely have to do that thanks for the info

I'm kind of jumping ahead.
I got a test for try, but before that.

Are you using a Android or IOS for your mobile device, I am sure I know the answer, but I will tell you if I'm wrong.
Do you know how to download your flight logs from your mobile device, and of coarse you need to post them.

BTW, you ever been here.

I'm done for the day.

Rod..

This was still on my screen this morning I guess I was done for the day :rolleyes:
I’m using Apple and I haven’t downloaded any flight logs but I’m sure I can figure it out

And no I’ve never been to that site before
I told you I would be honest I lost that that bet!

Flight log data to me is very important, I also use a crApple, the androids are easier to get the data.

CrApple's, you need to use iTunes.

I have never tried AirData, I had issues with them when they removed features and asking for more money when they were HealthyDrones.

Maybe that's the easiest right now.

Rod..

Maybe in the Installation of the booster a contact/ conector broke. They are fragile. Cut a pop or beer can in half. They make a decent booster. Foil does ok too. I had 3 P3s, thay all went to 5,000 feet or more. Not in town though.

Ha yip I try those back in 2019,slightly different on the model number but same thing .,View attachment 125146View attachment 125147View attachment 125148
Yip they were cheap and get what you pay for,Those panels never change my issue and I ended up trying another cheap Argtec triple antennas which improved and work like stock should work,,out to 1km without no issues(far enough 4 me) ,,these panels non boosted unlike upmarket ones like Sunhams which have own power supply to actually amplify and boost or they hopeless
500ft pretty sad for a phantom,easy to open remote and check they plugged in correct plug,
Yeh sounds like your mate was trying to improve it aswell,,lots of Brands about ,maybe have look around at something in your budget and get something apart from the panels to try,,I'm sure you see improvement, panel might be ok for close activity but no good for any distance (that's my opinion)
Just add Itelite good trusted brand,,can get p3s kits,Had one on the p4 ,already did the Argtec on p3s or that would have got one too,,
Have look at Argtec sets and try find something like my triples , then you dont have to open remote,just screw them onto existing terminals on remote,,if you change kit you need to open remote and change antenna wires and mounting,it look like my remote with extra holes from previous attempts

So just took it out change the antenna direction and got double almost triple the distance so I’m gonna order some new antennas try that first and see how it goes

Sounds like either an antenna issue, or firmware issue to me. Firmware updates are notorious for hidden limits to range and distance. My firmware is from 2015 and I have no issues with distance. Firmware version is 1.3.05 and the remote is similar and very old version. I will never update them.........ever.

(And as others have suggested, ask your buddy if it had range issues with him also. )

But, I'd check the connections of that Argtek setup you have before I did anything with the firmware. Sounds like there many be a loose or incorrect wire connection in the remote somewhere. If you find the remote wiring to be correct, then MAYBE you can downgrade the firmware version to an earlier version. It CAN be done.

Visit 'phantomhelp.com' for boatloads of information concerning everything Phantom,.........including how to downgrade firmware versions in the "How-To" section..

Hope you get it sorted out......but check the wiring in the remote first. Sounds like something might have come loose in there. My P3S's fly 1 1/2 miles distance easily at 300-400 feet altitude with my Itelite Antenna. Plus with the older firmware, there are NO Geofencing restrictions. That garbage was introduced by DJI after firmware version 1.5.07.

good luck.......

Reactions: RodPad
Dude, your on the same page!
Thank you!

Rod ..

I will send you a pm on why I say don't mess with the firmware, until it works correctly.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I just got a phantom 3 standard off a buddy of mine the range is terrible from what I’ve been seeing to other phantom 3. Most I can get is 460 feet. The remote does have the range extender. I’m trying to figure out what can I do to get more range any help is appreciated thanks
Young Grasshopper all roads lead to Litchi. Yes, you heard me right - I said Litchi. You see, with Litchi, your worries about the range of your Phantom 3S will evaporate like swirling mist from the glassy surface of a pristine mountain lake as the sun rises above the towering pines to herald a new day.

Ahem, what I mean to say is that with Litchi guiding your drone on a pre-defined waypoint mission, you will be able to fly that drone far beyond the reach of the controller, during which you can even switch off since Litchi will tell you how many minutes each flight will last. I typically send my lowly Phantom 3S for missions that cover 7 miles round trip, because I happen to reside in a desolate Third World backwater where the FAA and CAA's quaint recommendations are but distant and irrelevant curiosities.

Obviously, if you are under FAA or CAA scrutiny, you will be obliged to limit your range to less ambitious distances, BUT that said, it simply won't matter that your smart device screen goes blank while that ominous red screen alert tells you the drone is "out of control" because it most certainly won't be out of control, as will return faithfully every time like a homing pigeon. Buy Litchi today, Young Grasshopper, and thank me daily thereafter.

Last edited:
Reactions: dug611
Young Grasshopper all roads lead to Litchi. Yes, you heard me right - I said Litchi. You see, with Litchi, your worries about the range of your Phantom 3S will evaporate like swirling mist from the glassy surface of a pristine mountain lake as the sun rises above the towering pines to herald a new day.

Ahem, what I mean to say is that with Litchi guiding your drone on a pre-defined waypoint mission, you will be able to fly that drone far beyond the reach of the controller, during which you can even switch off since Litchi will tell you how many minutes each flight will last. I typically send my lowly Phantom 3S for missions that cover 7 miles round trip, because I happen to reside in a desolate Third World backwater where the FAA and CAA's quaint recommendations are but distant and irrelevant curiosities.

Obviously, if you are under FAA or CAA scrutiny, you will be obliged to limit your range to less ambitious distances, BUT that said, it simply won't matter that your smart device screen goes blank while that ominous red screen alert tells you the drone is "out of control" because it most certainly won't be out of control, as will return faithfully every time like a homing pigeon. Buy Litchi today, Young Grasshopper, and thank me daily thereafter.
Dude his signal problem is not going to fixed by using Litchi.
I use Litchi a lot!

Rod ..

Reactions: Billie Nelson
Dude, your on the same page!
Thank you!

Rod ..

I will send you a pm on why I say don't mess with the firmware, until it works correctly.
Your "Fly-it or Fryware-it" quote says it all. Ever since DJI tried to force Geofencing on me many years ago, I downgraded all my drones and haven't looked back. No location limits.......no altitude limits......just 'free as a bird'. Just fly with some common sense and all is good. ;)

Dude his signal problem is not going to fixed by using Litchi.
I use Litchi a lot!

Rod ..
Oh well, so much for my attempt to convert a new inductee to the cult. With Litchi I generally launch the drone, then switch off my controller and go chill indoors until 5 minutes before the ETA, when I step outside for a manual landing, so controller range has become almost irrelevant for me.

Anyway, with the FAA looking over your shoulder stateside I understand the need to maintain that drone-to-controller link at all times. I do have one of those antenna mods that increased the range somewhat. Been a while so I can't recall the product name at the moment.

Reactions: dug611
I agree, but this is stuff we should not be doing. At another time we connect on this Litchi Stuff.

Rod..

Reactions: Billie Nelson

Later, I will send the pm about the Fryware and get your thoughts!

Rod..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4