RANGE? Immersion 600mw tx, with Spironets

leekawey said:
today I did 6k with atti mode there and back turbo 18-20m/s. I think people saying about the video loss when it heading back, because they put their antenna at the back of p2. I used to have that problem about 2.5k coming back. now I let my antenna come out from the right side, full video 360 at 6k there and back.

You guys are insane. I have been telling watchers that the range is 1K plus. Gonna have to update my spiel. :)

Long ago when in the flight game, it used to be a standing joke that to own your own F16, all you had to do was buy a few acres of land and wait. (there were a lot of crashes back then). So... if I want to own a long range Phantom, all I have to do is buy some property around one of you and wait?

Baystate12 said:
I recently made the switch from Black Pearl to attitude V2 Goggles. I gotta admit its night and day using the same exact antennas i was getting around 500 meters with BP now with attitude I'm easily getting over 2000 meters... my setup is immersion 600tx with spironet antennas....

I did exactly the same. totally agree the difference. now I am even using the goggles as receiver and av out to monitor av in. just wear it on my head and using monitor :lol:

leekawey said:
2trickpony said:
Perfect flying conditions here today, so decided to try and beat my distance record.
Pushed her out to 4.5km until fpv became difficult.

Amazingly this was using only the Nimrod antenna. The Blackhawk Helical was not attached to the IRC duo.
I contacted Horizon and they have asked me to do so testing on the helical and if it is faulty they will replace straight away.
Nice bunch of guys.

I though you said you cannot pass 1500m with your stock controller. anyway good job. you are nearly breaking my old record of 5k. today I did 6k with atti mode there and back turbo 18-20m/s. I think people saying about the video loss when it heading back, because they put their antenna at the back of p2. I used to have that problem about 2.5k coming back. now I let my antenna come out from the right side, full video 360 at 6k there and back.

Yes, that is correct, I used to only get around 1500m because I always returned on the first RTH trigger. Now I have my controller antenna pointing sideways which has made a big difference and when it goes to RTH I just flick the switch from GPS to ATTI and I get control back again and carry on!
Its weird how it allows you to do that :cool:
Did you record the 6km flight?
Another beautiful day here today so might try for 10km :mrgreen:

Jaybee said:
It would be interesting and might be helpful if we all collate some data.

If anyone is up for it, I've knocked up a quick spreadsheet.

Open to anyone, add to it as often as you want, suggestions are welcome...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

I'll also start a new thread.
It won't let me enter any data. I must be doing it wrong-what's the catch??

Love the"back turbo" thing....mine will tilt 25 degree's backwards and fly just as fast as it does forward-and it keeps the receiver and VTX antenna pointed towards me.

When you say you have your transmitter antenna pointing sideways...is that on the aircraft? I'm wondering if I just un-tapped the right rear remote antenna, and let it dangle-hang in the wind, if that would help?

Nice to know on the 1st RTH you can flick to Atti and it turns off-mine doesn't. It will show FS/GPS Home, on the screen. FS disappears once I get receiver radio contact with the aircraft again. I've tried several times to cycle between GPS and Atti, but until that "FS" disappears from the screen-it's on it's own, I can go no further.

Here's an "idea".....I'm not very bright when it comes to these control radio's(I have a Futaba). But, I have 2 antenna's-1 forward/right leg, and 1 rear right leg. They each have a bare, silver metal end. Would it be possible to wrap some type of wire(what metal?), around the rear antenna, and have the extension just hanging off the end of the aircraft-to increase range?

It's just an antenna.....seems to me, with the correct type of metal, you could just wrap a 6" long piece of wire around the existing antenna, and increase your range??

Also-whomever said they had their antenna out to the side-tried that. But, it was the Right rear side, outside the landing gear leg, and on turns, at less than 500 meters, it would enter Fail Safe, because I guess the antenna would block the signal or interfere with the remote antenna?
I now have the smaller CP(I tried the Immersion RC, CP-and it worked better than my existing CP on the aircraft-but had issues above), that is facing right, and down, inside the landing gear leg-so it doesn't block the remote antenna.

havasuphoto said:
Here's an "idea".....I'm not very bright when it comes to these control radio's(I have a Futaba). But, I have 2 antenna's-1 forward/right leg, and 1 rear right leg. They each have a bare, silver metal end. Would it be possible to wrap some type of wire(what metal?), around the rear antenna, and have the extension just hanging off the end of the aircraft-to increase range?

Wish it were that easy. The bare part of the antenna is a critical length that represents the frequency you are transmitting/receiving on. If you extend or shorten it, you will mess up the tuning and it won't receive the freqs you wish it to. The extended antenna also have that same amount of bare wire on the end. You can make your own from similar coax - you just sit it down next to the tuned antenna and cut back the braid to the same point so the bare ends are similar length (as close as you can).

ladykate said:
havasuphoto said:

Wish it were that easy. The bare part of the antenna is a critical length that represents the frequency you are transmitting/receiving on. If you extend or shorten it, you will mess up the tuning and it won't receive the freqs you wish it to. The extended antenna also have that same amount of bare wire on the end. You can make your own from similar coax - you just sit it down next to the tuned antenna and cut back the braid to the same point so the bare ends are similar length (as close as you can).
Thanks. I don't see that happening. Perhaps just my simplistic way of thinking-couldn't have been that easy, turns out it isn't.
I'm still at 1.1km, w/o RTH activating, so I think I'm going pretty good with what I have.

havasuphoto said:
It won't let me enter any data. I must be doing it wrong-what's the catch??

Sorry, fixed.. should be fine now.

Just a tidbit of further research from today from a few other sources and forums online. I was looking into alternatives to the BP that being the Boscam 5802. It seems to be well documented the the ImmersionRC600mw is extremely finicky on certain bands and is listed multiple places as not playing nice with any of the All-In-One monitors with built in 5.8 rx. To FURTHER complicate our research I noticed one US vendor now has 2 versions of the BP with one specifically stating to work well with IMRC and FatShark.

I can't find the link now but though I'd pass this along. So it may be a case where there is an 'issue' on both sides that can be mitigated with a combo of different antennas. At the very least the ImmersionRC600mw is finiscy with certain receivers.

I personally may be leaning in the Boscam direction right now because of brightness of screen and a few other variables but I am still really trying to find the best vTx for my Phantom 2. Maybe leaning in the Boscam vTx as well in hopes of good compatibility.

I hope some of this info helps.

-Lil'

2trickpony said:
leekawey said:
2trickpony said:
Perfect flying conditions here today, so decided to try and beat my distance record.
Pushed her out to 4.5km until fpv became difficult.

Amazingly this was using only the Nimrod antenna. The Blackhawk Helical was not attached to the IRC duo.
I contacted Horizon and they have asked me to do so testing on the helical and if it is faulty they will replace straight away.
Nice bunch of guys.

I though you said you cannot pass 1500m with your stock controller. anyway good job. you are nearly breaking my old record of 5k. today I did 6k with atti mode there and back turbo 18-20m/s. I think people saying about the video loss when it heading back, because they put their antenna at the back of p2. I used to have that problem about 2.5k coming back. now I let my antenna come out from the right side, full video 360 at 6k there and back.

Yes, that is correct, I used to only get around 1500m because I always returned on the first RTH trigger. Now I have my controller antenna pointing sideways which has made a big difference and when it goes to RTH I just flick the switch from GPS to ATTI and I get control back again and carry on!
Its weird how it allows you to do that :cool:
Did you record the 6km flight?
Another beautiful day here today so might try for 10km :mrgreen:

While I think I know what you mean by sideways, can you post a picture of the rc and antenna position?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I think I know what you mean by sideways, can you post a picture of the rc and antenna position?

Thanks

Here you go:

Attachments

• DSC07064.JPG
    DSC07064.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 399
I though you were referring to the VTX on the aircraft-not the remote.
I have a Futaba T8J-so the antenna(s) are built-in.....not sure where they point, but I tend to fly within 20 degree's from my 0 degree take-off azimuth. Although I've gone past 700 meters, at greater than 40 degree's.

Had a bit of play today with an old Motorola Canopy 5.8 antenna. It has horizontal and vertical connections so I attached it to
my IRC5800 duo.
I left the Nimrod cloverleaf on the phantom as I am not really sure what type of tx antenna to use with this setup.
Apart from occasionally having to adjust the angle of the motorola antenna the performance was perfect.
Had one run out to 4000m and the video was crystal. Even rotating and heading homewards made no difference to the video quality at all.

I have now arrived at the conclusion that antennas make ALL the difference in fpv, helped along by a great receiver like the Duo.
Now if I can only get an antenna tracker to mount the motorola on to I will have my fpv sorted, finally........

Next I going to mod my controller to work with a TP-Link 2.4GHz 15dBi Outdoor Omni-directional Antenna.
keep watching this space!

Attachments

• DSC07058.JPG
    DSC07058.JPG
    483.9 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC07059.JPG
    DSC07059.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC07060.JPG
    DSC07060.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 367
Looks like an old Wi-Fi broadcast/receiver patch antenna. didn't know they were 5.8ghz-go figure. I don't see your duo receiver in the picture??
I want to set up something similar. Does the Duo receive have a hole in the bottom that would allow it to attach to a tripod? Is the receiver vastly superior to your built in receiver in your monitor? And, is the Duo receiver dual antenna/Diversity?

See, if the receiver is cheap enough-you can use any old LCD monitor. It's just a yellow video out cable-I'm assuming the Duo has 2 of those?
You can find old(er) LCD TV's, that are still analogue at thrift stores. The analogue ones won't go black/blue when they lose signal. That's the kicker. Newer computer monitors and TV's are all Digital-so even though you can plug those in with the yellow composite video cable-when the signal gets weak, the screen turns blue or off.

My FPV gear turned up today aside from the Black Hawk bits which should be here tomorrow.

Took the bird for a test drive with the stock FPV antennas. I was taking it steadfast and flying close range, apx. 60m altitude, 200m distance. No loss of signal, stock antennas performed very well considering some reports at closer range.

Loving FPV so far, but it takes some getting used to! I found myself looking at the Phantom quite a bit, especially when it was near trees ; ) Love having the telemetry info.

Looking forward to trying the Black Hawk gear and getting the courage to try some long range flying going forward, I never intended too but seem to have caught something from somewhere : )

In transit:

• - Black Hawk Nimrod 5.8 GHz x2
    - Black Hawk Micro 5.8 GHz 9 dB

havasuphoto said:
Looks like an old Wi-Fi broadcast/receiver patch antenna. didn't know they were 5.8ghz-go figure. I don't see your duo receiver in the picture??
I want to set up something similar. Does the Duo receive have a hole in the bottom that would allow it to attach to a tripod? Is the receiver vastly superior to your built in receiver in your monitor? And, is the Duo receiver dual antenna/Diversity?

See, if the receiver is cheap enough-you can use any old LCD monitor. It's just a yellow video out cable-I'm assuming the Duo has 2 of those?
You can find old(er) LCD TV's, that are still analogue at thrift stores. The analogue ones won't go black/blue when they lose signal. That's the kicker. Newer computer monitors and TV's are all Digital-so even though you can plug those in with the yellow composite video cable-when the signal gets weak, the screen turns blue or off.

The antenna is from a point to point wifi link. Apparently they are good for 150km !!
Look at the first photo and the duo is sitting there underneath the BP ;)
Just checked the duo and there are no mounting holes at all I'm afraid.Maybe someone could 3d print some kind of bracket?
IMHO the IRC is VASTLY superior to the BP built in receiver and yes, teh duo is diversity with 2 AV outputs.

Is this the one you have; http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-uno-a-v-receiver.html
Is that the same as the one 2trick is using?
I see different ones.......some for $69, and some for over $200!!! Also-I noticed on one, that the frequencies weren't even close to the ones we use. They had something like 5783, instead of 5780.
Also-is some countries, they're frequencies end in 05, instead of 00.

havasuphoto said:
Is this the one you have; http://www.getfpv.com/5-8ghz-uno-a-v-receiver.html
Is that the same as the one 2trick is using?
I see different ones.......some for $69, and some for over $200!!! Also-I noticed on one, that the frequencies weren't even close to the ones we use. They had something like 5783, instead of 5780.
Also-is some countries, they're frequencies end in 05, instead of 00.

This is the one I am using, **** expensive though!;
http://www.quadcopters.co.uk/immersionr ... -620-p.asp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers